testtest

Optics on AR?

SaltyMonkey

Professional
Well, I am returning another optic that did not work out. The most recent was an aimpoint micro T-2. I know it’s a fine optic but it was extremely small and I felt like I was looking down a slide tube (guitar reference). The frame/housing and lenses caps add clutter to an already cramped area. I have also previously owned an aim point patrol optic, I returned it because it was too bulky heavy and again like I was looking down into a bottle . Then there was the Eotech XPS3. I loved it but it felt like I had a 1980s box television on top of my rifle. Then I tried a Sig Romeo 3 reflex. I like the open sight picture but found the reflex sight would not stay zeroed in after a few trips to the range. I have also heard that environmental factors such as heat and humidity can affect the zero on those type of sights. So my question is , what do you recommend? Something more “opened up” sight picture, fast site acquisition with minimal footprint, weight and bulkiness with an always on or shake awake feature that will stay zeroed in and can take the abuse of a duty rifle, or someone like myself that’s just rough on them ? No magnification. Main application will be range and home defense rifle.
Thanks

Last edited:
Well, I am returning another optic that did not work out. The most recent was an aimpoint micro T-2. I know it’s a fine optic but it was extremely small and I felt like I was looking down a slide tube (guitar reference). The frame/housing and lenses caps add clutter to an already cramped area. I have also previously owned an aim point patrol optic, I returned it because it was too bulky heavy and again like I was looking down into a bottle . Then there was the Eotech XPS3. I loved it but it felt like I had a 1980s box television on top of my rifle. Then I tried a Sig Romeo 3 reflex. I like the open sight picture but found the reflex sight would not stay zeroed in after a few trips to the range. I have also heard that environmental factors such as heat and humidity can affect the zero on those type of sights. So my question is , what do you recommend? Something more “opened up” sight picture, fast site acquisition with minimal footprint, weight and bulkiness with an always on or shake awake feature that will stay zeroed in and can take the abuse of a duty rifle, or someone like myself that’s just rough on them ? No magnification. Main application will be range and home defense rifle.
Thanks
Holosun 510c is a great option with a long battery life and it's pretty lightweight and strong because on the titanium housing.

Thanks
I really, really like my Aimpoint PRO’s…

Trijicon's MRO may be your gig, @SaltyMonkey252 , if you found the Aimpoint PRO to your liking, but didn't like the latter's bulk. The off-axis parallax issue may or may not kill it for you, however, based on your anticipated usage.

You could try another Romeo 3 - it's well possible that the one you got out of the box was just defective. There's plenty of other micro-RDSs out on the market these days, though, and given that you seemed to like the Romeo 3's setup, you could give items like the Holosun 509 or 507 a try. Alternatively, the Trijicon RMR series fits the bill if Made-in-USA is important to you. Ostensibly designed for pistol slide-top mounting, plenty of folks have run these optics on small-footprint mounts as primary sighting systems...I'll never be as cool as Pat Mac, so here's a picture of that rockin' dude, with his lightweight setup.....

1640663423216.png

...and of-course the RMRs have proven themselves on carbine setups as secondary/backup sights to LPVOs or higher-magnification scopes on SPRs.

Trijicon's MRO may be your gig, @SaltyMonkey252 , if you found the Aimpoint PRO to your liking, but didn't like the latter's bulk. The off-axis parallax issue may or may not kill it for you, however, based on your anticipated usage.

You could try another Romeo 3 - it's well possible that the one you got out of the box was just defective. There's plenty of other micro-RDSs out on the market these days, though, and given that you seemed to like the Romeo 3's setup, you could give items like the Holosun 509 or 507 a try. Alternatively, the Trijicon RMR series fits the bill if Made-in-USA is important to you. Ostensibly designed for pistol slide-top mounting, plenty of folks have run these optics on small-footprint mounts as primary sighting systems...I'll never be as cool as Pat Mac, so here's a picture of that rockin' dude, with his lightweight setup.....

View attachment 23650

...and of-course the RMRs have proven themselves on carbine setups as secondary/backup sights to LPVOs or higher-magnification scopes on SPRs.
Thanks for the info!

Holosun 510C.

I've been using Sig Romeo 5s for a few years. I have about 6 of them, on everything from ARs to shotguns. Then someone here who I won't mention, but who's name rhymes with 10MM, talked me into trying the 501C on a new shotgun. Compared to the Romeo ( which is plenty big and open with a 20mm tube) it is MUCH more open. It's like having a small TV screen. It's infinitely faster target acquisition. Multiple brightness settings as well as auto brightness adjustment. Solar back-up, Shake Awake. 2 MOA dot, 65 MOA circle or 2 MOA dot inside a 65 MOA circle. And you can get them for between $250-$300. I won't be buying any more Romeos. In fact I'm going to replace some of the Romeos with 510Cs.

I have a Sig Optics Romeo 5XDR which uses the Eotech reticle except it's HD quality, much more visible than the Eotech and not fuzziness, and I run a Sig Optics Juliet 4x magnifier behind the XDR. I've went thru about 6 iterations of optics on my Colt, Eotech, Aimpoint PRO, Vortex, Meprolight, etc. I always very much liked the Eotech reticle but the reticle was very fuzzy to me, I guess maybe due to my astigmatisms I have in both eyes possibly? So when I checked out the Sig Romeo5 XDR it was a nice surprise to see the same reticle but a much sharper and crisper image, no distortion or fuzziness at all. Combined with the 4x magnifier, it makes for a nice combo.

I have a Sig Optics Romeo 5XDR which uses the Eotech reticle except it's HD quality, much more visible than the Eotech and not fuzziness, and I run a Sig Optics Juliet 4x magnifier behind the XDR. I've went thru about 6 iterations of optics on my Colt, Eotech, Aimpoint PRO, Vortex, Meprolight, etc. I always very much liked the Eotech reticle but the reticle was very fuzzy to me, I guess maybe due to my astigmatisms I have in both eyes possibly? So when I checked out the Sig Romeo5 XDR it was a nice surprise to see the same reticle but a much sharper and crisper image, no distortion or fuzziness at all. Combined with the 4x magnifier, it makes for a nice combo.
The Sigs are made by Holosun, in the same factory.

I never owned one, but I shot a buddy's carbine with the venerable Aimpoint on it and personally the Romeo does everything it does for a lot less money. Though the Aimpoint is most likely much more durable. Still, ever see the torture test videos on the Romeo 5 ? They are tough as shite.

510C was a game changer for me.

The Sigs are made by Holosun, in the same factory.

I never owned one, but I shot a buddy's carbine with the venerable Aimpoint on it and personally the Romeo does everything it does for a lot less money. Though the Aimpoint is most likely much more durable. Still, ever see the torture test videos on the Romeo 5 ? They are tough as shite.

510C was a game changer for me.
My Aimpoint Pro I used to have on my Colt was bomb proof, I picked it up on a sale from Larue Tactical, but I ended up having the same issue with it that I did with the Eotech, the reticle started to become very fuzzy and there was almost a starburst effect. My eye doc told me that depending on the kind of displayed reticle, I think she said something like a holographic image might seem distorted to me due to the astigmatisms but an LED type sight, which I think the Sig is, would remain clear and sharp. There must be something to that because I've always loved the Eotech reticle, but at one time many moons ago, it was not fuzzy when I looked at it. I'm a bit old school also as I don't care for variable zoom optics, I like the fixed 4x magnifier very much combined with the XDR.

I watched quite a few videos on the Sig XDR before I bought it, lots of happy customers for the most part. I love the motion sensor. I've never been able to get the rifle up to a shooting position before the reticle is up and ready.

My Aimpoint Pro I used to have on my Colt was bomb proof, I picked it up on a sale from Larue Tactical, but I ended up having the same issue with it that I did with the Eotech, the reticle started to become very fuzzy and there was almost a starburst effect. My eye doc told me that depending on the kind of displayed reticle, I think she said something like a holographic image might seem distorted to me due to the astigmatisms but an LED type sight, which I think the Sig is, would remain clear and sharp. There must be something to that because I've always loved the Eotech reticle, but at one time many moons ago, it was not fuzzy when I looked at it. I'm a bit old school also as I don't care for variable zoom optics, I like the fixed 4x magnifier very much combined with the XDR.

I watched quite a few videos on the Sig XDR before I bought it, lots of happy customers for the most part. I love the motion sensor. I've never been able to get the rifle up to a shooting position before the reticle is up and ready.
A true holographic sight should come in clearer than a regular red dot sight. The Starburst effect is inevitable with either one if you have a stigmatism but most people with a stigmatism report that the starburst effect is greatly reduced when using a holographic over the typical red dot sights.

Back