testtest

Red dots and the choices you made

I have several different brands, styles and objective sizes, but what keeps you coming back too the same brand? I have been on the holosun site for clarity while searching all of their products. Size, weight, mounting and other available features got me spending time lurking. Prices are average or in the middle compared too trijicon and other higher end products. I know several members here have holosun products and can give their input (good or bad). I have had only 1 rds product with an issue. Vortex with the amg battery compartment, other than that I've had no problems with that brand.

I have several different brands, styles and objective sizes, but what keeps you coming back too the same brand? I have been on the holosun site for clarity while searching all of their products. Size, weight, mounting and other available features got me spending time lurking. Prices are average or in the middle compared too trijicon and other higher end products. I know several members here have holosun products and can give their input (good or bad). I have had only 1 rds product with an issue. Vortex with the amg battery compartment, other than that I've had no problems with that brand.
Aimpoint
Love my Vortex, but Aimpoints quality, focal plane/optic, and overall features have led me to have more Aimpoint now than Vortex
Edit: for rifles. I dont own any pistol RDS

I have a pile of Sig Romeo 5s. I like them a lot. They are clear, reliable and durable. Recently I bought a Holosun 510C for a Beretta 1301 T. I like it better than the Sig. A lot better. It was 3 times as much, but.....

Are there other red dots I would like even more ? I'm thinking probably. I did get a look at an Eotech and an AImpoint Micro ( both mounted) and they didn't strike me as better than the Holosun.

I have a Vortex Venom on a handgun. I like it, but I haven't tried any other ones so I have nothing to compare it to. One thing I dislike about it is it doesn't have shake awake. At this point I probably wouldn't buy a red dot without that.

I dont own any pistol RDS
I know, I’ve seen you shoot…😝😎

But seriously, I’m the polar opposite. I have red dots on the majority of my pistols and my ARs. Holosuns are great red dots with lots of features and they are reasonably priced. I have a couple of Delta Point Pros which are fairly pricey and pretty feature poor, but extremely well made with none of the overly plastic feel that the Holosuns have. I don’t hunt and I don’t shoot beyond 50 yds so my AR-15 and 9 have Sig Romeo 5s on them. And I also have a TruGlo TruTec green dot and a Bushnell TRS25, both of which were relatively cheap at $160 or less. To be honest, for me, there is not a lot of difference between any of them. They all have good quality dots of 3 moa or less and one or two of them distort pretty badly when you turn up the intensity, but they all distort to some degree when you crank up the intensity. But here’s the deal, I can and have hit a bull at 25 yds offhand with all of them and know that each one will hit whatever or whomever the dot is sitting on. So ultimately it comes down to things like do you want your red dot built like a tank? Are you bothered if you have to take it off your gun once a year to put a new battery in the bottom? Do you have to have shake awake? Are you bothered that one is made in China by a company allegedly owned by the Chinese govt? Do you have to have a big name on your red dot?

But seriously, I’m the polar opposite. I have red dots on the majority of my pistols and my ARs. Holosuns are great red dots with lots of features and they are reasonably priced. I have a couple of Delta Point Pros which are fairly pricey and pretty feature poor, but extremely well made with none of the overly plastic feel that the Holosuns have. I don’t hunt and I don’t shoot beyond 50 yds so my AR-15 and 9 have Sig Romeo 5s on them. And I also have a TruGlo TruTec green dot and a Bushnell TRS25, both of which were relatively cheap at $160 or less. To be honest, for me, there is not a lot of difference between any of them. They all have good quality dots of 3 moa or less and one or two of them distort pretty badly when you turn up the intensity, but they all distort to some degree when you crank up the intensity. But here’s the deal, I can and have hit a bull at 25 yds offhand with all of them and know that each one will hit whatever or whomever the dot is sitting on. So ultimately it comes down to things like do you want your red dot built like a tank? Are you bothered if you have to take it off your gun once a year to put a new battery in the bottom? Do you have to have shake awake? Are you bothered that one is made in China by a company allegedly owned by the Chinese govt? Do you have to have a big name on your red dot?

The China thing bothered me for a minute. Until I remembered that I am not an operator and that there isn't an American made red dot that costs less than $550.

The China thing bothered me for a minute. Until I remembered that I am not an operator and that there isn't an American made red dot that costs less than $550.
I have two Holosuns on 2 of my Glocks. I like the circle dot reticle and I have not found that elsewhere. So far they are great optics. I am just getting into optics on pistols after cataract surgery. They really help me shoot well. To this point they have been very reliable. The China thing bothers me but then I remember that I would have to throw out most everything I own because some part of just about everything is made in China. Car parts, computer chips, the phone parts that I am using, most shoes and clothing. I could go on and on. We can't separate our lives from stuff made in China completely so I have decided to look for good products and buy them on their merits, not by where they are made. I will buy American wherever I can if the product is what I need.

I have two Holosuns on 2 of my Glocks. I like the circle dot reticle and I have not found that elsewhere. So far they are great optics. I am just getting into optics on pistols after cataract surgery. They really help me shoot well. To this point they have been very reliable. The China thing bothers me but then I remember that I would have to throw out most everything I own because some part of just about everything is made in China. Car parts, computer chips, the phone parts that I am using, most shoes and clothing. I could go on and on. We can't separate our lives from stuff made in China completely so I have decided to look for good products and buy them on their merits, not by where they are made. I will buy American wherever I can if the product is what I need.
Well said.

I also like the circle/dot reticle on the Holosun. It works especially well on a shotgun.

I still match you round for round on pistols without an RDS 😏😆😆🕺

I’ll admit to saying that I wouldn’t put an optic on a handgun but then until I purchased my Elite Compact I didn’t own a gun that was machined to accept one, after doing the research and following threads on the forum I decided on the Holosun 507C
All the features and easy to install, has it made me a better shooter? Well I’ve only put 50 rounds through the gun using the optic, just a few of those rounds to zero it in.
Made in China?? What isn’t, do I try to buy American made? Absolutely but then “as mentioned in a previous post”
Even items made in the USA have components made in China.
I do question a previous post about the Holosun feeling like plastic? I disagree being that’s it’s made from aluminum and glass, I say well built.

Back