testtest

Thought I would share this......

Good article, and all fair points. That is one good (?!?) thing about getting my CCW here in the People's Republik of Maryland - they beat all of that into your head when you go through not only the HQL course but also the CCW course.

I refused to take a CCW class and waited till Missouri passed Constitutional Carry before I started carrying.

Last week, my judgment was vindicated when a San Francisco newspaper won a court battle to force a CA sheriff to turn over his list of CCW class attendees. I don't want to willingly place myself on a government list.

I'm not criticizing others who don't care. I'm not judging someone who wants to receive training from someone else they perceive to be an expert.

I just have a skeptical eye toward 'experts' and certifications, and I prefer to get the info on my own from multiple sources and come to my own conclusions based on the sample.

What pisses me off are the people who act like it's not possible to effectively self-teach in this manner. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean I can't.

Logically, if it weren't possible to self-teach, humanity could never innovate.

I exercise my rights in the show me state without a permit as well. I have taken a CCW class as well as other classes and I train regularly with buddies who are military, ex military and LEO. Frankly the only useful information in most CCW classes is the legal information. Unless you have no experience with guns. That legal information is readily available without having to pay for it or ask the state for permission to exercise your rights.

I exercise my rights in the show me state without a permit as well. I have taken a CCW class as well as other classes and I train regularly with buddies who are military, ex military and LEO. Frankly the only useful information in most CCW classes is the legal information. Unless you have no experience with guns. That legal information is readily available without having to pay for it or ask the state for permission to exercise your rights.
And frequently Bassbob, State laws will change, making what was taught, potentially obsolete. Like you mentioned, it's always prudent to check this out for yourself from time to time.

I shoot with 2 of my wife's cousins. One is a former marine with 12 years as a range instructor. He was blown away at the performance of my first AR build, especially since I had only purchased my first gun ever 4 months prior. Now, he taught me a lot about shooting technique and helped me improve immensely.

The other guy was in the Army for over a decade and constantly makes a big deal of my "gun knowledge", but the fact is I only know a lot about a very narrow slice. But I also don't care about most of what I don't know. If I find a hole in my knowledge base and it's on a topic that interests me, I'll make myself enough of an expert to master just that aspect.

I still listen to anyone who has an opinion, because I'm always refining what I think I know. But I didn't need someone to pre-chew my food for me.
I think we all gravitate towards things that interest us and things that pertain to our particular circumstances. My circumstances dictate that I work outside all over north St. Louis City. You’re from Missouri so I know you understand the ramifications of that. I have had co workers shot to death on the job. One was a guy who was a close friend of mine since I was 6 years old. Even worse, he was covering my job while I was out on bereavement when my little brother died.
Anyway, I concentrate on things that can help me.

I was reading this article earlier and then I come here and see it posted. I thought it was a good read and had a lot of valid points. Around here people want to buy a gun and go get their CCW but have no experience handling a gun.

This article is definitely good advice for a beginner or someone who is making these mistakes but the unfortunate thing is most people who could benefit to read an article like this probably won't do the research to even know it exist's.

I think we all gravitate towards things that interest us and things that pertain to our particular circumstances. My circumstances dictate that I work outside all over north St. Louis City. You’re from Missouri so I know you understand the ramifications of that. I have had co workers shot to death on the job. One was a guy who was a close friend of mine since I was 6 years old. Even worse, he was covering my job while I was out on bereavement when my little brother died.
Anyway, I concentrate on things that can help me.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Cheers, brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
First I will say I’m no expert in firearms even after spending 20 years making them. Since I’ve become a Multiple gun owner I’ve been very proactive in learning all I can to improve my knowledge in how I not only carry but where I can and where I can’t. I feel strongly that it is my responsibility and my responsibility only to make sure I do the right thing. Living in Kentucky has been an eye opener both in Regards to the laws on the Books and how they allow law abiding citizens to protect themselves. I’ve said it before.
Training, training, training.

Back