testtest

Maintaining Guns that are Rarely Fired

wmg1299

Professional
I've been unexpectedly stuck at home several times this year due to icy weather. I've been passing the time by organizing my gun safe and doing minor maintenance/accessorizing to my guns (installing grips, painting sights, etc.). I clean my guns almost immediately after a range/plinking session, but I shoot my handguns significantly more often than my rifles and shotguns. I'll give my guns a little TLC by applying fresh oil when I am tinkering and realize that they haven't been fired in awhile, or if they look/feel a little dry. My guns are all stored in climate-controlled areas, with the long guns stored in silicone socks. How often would you guys clean and lube guns stored in this condition?

i have all my handguns (that's all i own right now) stored in zippered carry cases from Allen, (exactly like this one i get from walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Company-Lockable-Autofit-Handgun-Case-Black/49688516 ) along with thier magazines, in the 4 pouches for them.

they(the guns) get cleaned and lubed after every range trip. i will either use Weapon Shield or Hoppes' #9 and will not get into any sort of debate as to whomever thinks thier brand of oil is best.

the magazines have NEVER been disassembled and cleaned since day one, and may NEVER get disassembled. i just wipe them down after the range visits

i also got from (you tuber) Gunblue490, a neat idea for giving the outside of the guns "wiped down" with oil, and he uses (food grade) mineral oil.

wipes on easily, and does not leave an oily residue when i go to pick up the gun(s).

as a result of the rotation my guns are in, for trips to the range, it very well CAN be months before one gets to the range, for a day of exercise.

from that, all my guns are stored in a Craftsman steel cabinet, and a large bag (from amazon) of desiccant, is in there, as well as i have a dehumidifier for the summer time.

got 2 of these (and imma gonna need another one soon) from Lowes for under $120.00, as right now, ALL my handguns fit into this one, buy now i find myself double stacking them, even though they are placed in there upright, not laying flat.

i would be certain that Home Depot, which has the Husky brand, would have a similar product.

all in all, to this day of now into my 3rd year of this sport/hobby...?? NO rust anywhere for all that i do.

1645788709860.png

Ditto 👆👆👆
I will take a look at anything cased up once in a while. But if I don’t see anything wrong at a glance then they stay that way til the notion strikes me to go shoot them.

Sad reality is, I’ve got some I oughta get rid of. But I just can’t do it !
i been dumping "some" of my Glocks. even though i like ALL my guns, i am losing favor of the Glocks to an all metal 9MM, like my Beretta and Girsan (Beretta clone).

i may even try and buy an S/A 35 when i can, and dump my Canik as well.

lovin' the little to NO recoil of the all metal guns. like ALL my 1911's and CZ 97B

About once a year I’ll go through and give everything a wipe down with a Rustprufe cloth.

Stuff I don’t shoot very often are in BoreStore sleeves.

Safes have heaters, and desiccant packs that get recycled every couple of months.

I clean and lube after each range visit. I am like you I shoot my hand guns more but the rifles are all in a silicone sock but two things found this great outdoor range and just got the ruger pc carbine so the rifles have been getting more love hard to keep them home when it is so much fun to shoot

Is it okay to leave a gun coated in CLP or should I clean off excess CLP?

I use those cannisters that come with CLP wipes to wipe down my firearms.
Don’t muck about with those wipes.

Buy a Rustprufe cloth (and oil refill).

Actually, buy 2; one for the range bag, and one for in your safe/storage space.

Wipe down any exposed metal every time you handle the firearm. Hit what you touch twice.

You shouldn’t have any issues, ever, unless you have untreated metal in a saltwater environment.

Is it okay to leave a gun coated in CLP or should I clean off excess CLP?

I use those cannisters that come with CLP wipes to wipe down my firearms.
CLP will not damage any metal used in constructing a gun with overuse and excessive long storage, if you insist on leaving them (firearms) with a thick coat. While unnecessary, it won't hurt them. Too much oil of any kind attracts dust and dirt though...Hans' advice is solid.

I am a big fan of Breakfree CLP. I clean what I shoot after the range visit but cleaning all my guns monthly would be impossible. I thought about making a log book to wipe down around 10 a monthly so over the course of a year I would get them all. I did find a 2.5 gallon jug of CLP on Amazon for $120 and if you think about it that’s a good deal. It works on everything from my Barrett M107A1 to my Ruger 22lr single action

I do have Golden rods in all my safes as well

For me on the guns I don’t shoot that often, I also tear them down once a year for a good lube and oil, then about every six months I will take the same guns and wipe them down with my CLP, now on the guns I shoot, every time there shot, then also if I don’t use them again for awhile, six months I will rewipe them down again, just my routine.

I like to take them all out once in a while for a wipe down and quick bore inspection, plus all the fun of handling them.
I have a Uberti 1858 with no bluing, just polished bare steel. I left it in a sheepskin lined gun case (unzipped for air movement) and after a couple months (shame on myself) I found a rusting pit where the sheepskin had absorbed all the oil and I had to do rust removal with steel wool and oil. That revolver is a favorite and it was the first time in 48 years of ownership any of my firearms had a rust spot. Watch out for lengthy periods stored on a material that can wick away oils.

My late brother left a Single-Six (stainless) holstered in his safe and when he pulled it out it had red stains from the leather that never did come off. He was upset. Holsters and bags can be bad for guns long term.

I like to take them all out once in a while for a wipe down and quick bore inspection, plus all the fun of handling them.
I have a Uberti 1858 with no bluing, just polished bare steel. I left it in a sheepskin lined gun case (unzipped for air movement) and after a couple months (shame on myself) I found a rusting pit where the sheepskin had absorbed all the oil and I had to do rust removal with steel wool and oil. That revolver is a favorite and it was the first time in 48 years of ownership any of my firearms had a rust spot. Watch out for lengthy periods stored on a material that can wick away oils.

My late brother left a Single-Six (stainless) holstered in his safe and when he pulled it out it had red stains from the leather that never did come off. He was upset. Holsters and bags can be bad for guns long term.
Yea, my dad always said to me and my brother not to do any long term storage of you gun in a leather holster, did he ever try using an eraser on those marks?

Back