testtest

Springfield Ronin EMP 4 Failure to Feed

Josh21

Alpha
New gun owner here. Sorry if I am not using correct terminology.

Has anyone experienced failure to feed with their new Springfield Ronin EMP in 4 inch barrel? I just received mine new last week. Went to my local shooting range with around 400 rounds. I was only able to shoot 100 rounds because the pistol kept failing to feed the cartridge into the barrel. I shot 50 rounds of Blazer brass FMJ and 50 rounds of Blazer aluminum.

I would load 4-9 rounds into the mag and rack it without any issues. No rounds sticking out or see anything out of the ordinary. When I go shoot it, Sometimes I can't.... unless I clear the chamber and rack a new round into the barrel. The gun will let me shoot 3-4 rounds and then fail to feed again. I experienced around 10-15 failures to feed out of 100 rounds trying to diagnose what's going on. The range master took a look at the gun and didn't see any issues with it. I'm not sure how to fix this issue or go about it. I'll try feeding the gun with other brands of ammo next week and see if it changes anything.

When you say failure to feed, is there a round jammed up trying to go into the chamber or is it going into battery on an empty chamber? Did you have the issue on different magazines or how many mags did you use?

When you say failure to feed, is there a round jammed up trying to go into the chamber or is it going into battery on an empty chamber? Did you have the issue on different magazines or how many mags did you use?
When I rack the round, I see it in the chamber and the slide closes. It doesn't look jammed to me. This is right after I insert the mag. The mag came with the gun, so it's not aftermarket. The cartridge looks completely seated in chamber. I also ordered two more magazines from Springfield and will be testing the new sets to see if that makes a difference.

Josh:
All of the above are good possible answers…

1) Run it a bit ‘wet’ as we say, for the first 200 rounds. (Meaning more lube than normal).

2) Try a better brand of ammo, like Sellier & Belliot, Federal, or Fiocchi.
I know some here use Bkazer with no problems but to me it’s lower quality (and runs dirty). There’s also been remarks lately that Winchester ‘white box’ ammo has had recent issues.

Good luck !

@Josh21 as @TidalWave mentioned you’ve been given a lot of good information, my take on this is some break in shooting is necessary.
My only suggestion until you find the ammunition your gun likes don’t buy a lot of one manufacturer.
Running the gun wet is a plus for a new gun during break in and don’t forget if you continue to struggle call Springfield customer service.

Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.

@Josh21 as @TidalWave mentioned you’ve been given a lot of good information, my take on this is some break in shooting is necessary.
My only suggestion until you find the ammunition your gun likes don’t buy a lot of one manufacturer.
Running the gun wet is a plus for a new gun during break in and don’t forget if you continue to struggle call Springfield customer service.

Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.
These guns are not magically immune to the 1911 thing. I have said here before, in my experience, unless you spent a couple grand on a custom gun it is very likely you are going to need to "Coax" your 1911 into behaving reliably. And that may take 500 or 1000 rounds, a trip to the smith for some feed ramp work or other fitment issues.

These guns are not magically immune to the 1911 thing. I have said here before, in my experience, unless you spent a couple grand on a custom gun it is very likely you are going to need to "Coax" your 1911 into behaving reliably. And that may take 500 or 1000 rounds, a trip to the smith for some feed ramp work or other fitment issues.
From what I’ve read concerning the EMP model I agree with you.

Years ago, when I bought a EMP4 it would feed ball ammo with no issues. But any defensive ammo, hollow points it would stove pipe. Sent it back to Springfield, not real sure what they did to the feed ramp but its never been an issue. To me the problem sounds like a magazine issue. I understand Ronins ship with one magazine only.

I have run a lot of Blazer over the past two years, because most of the time it’s been the most readily available, and have not had any issue with it whatsoever. I don’t find it any dirtier than anything else. Sellier and Bellot wins the prize for dirty ammo. Truthfully, I don't remember any ammo that a particular pistol of mine didn’t like to shoot and I don’t think I’m just lucky.

I have run a lot of Blazer over the past two years, because most of the time it’s been the most readily available, and have not had any issue with it whatsoever. I don’t find it any dirtier than anything else. Sellier and Bellot wins the prize for dirty ammo. Truthfully, I don't remember any ammo that a particular pistol of mine didn’t like to shoot and I don’t think I’m just lucky.
I have no issues with Blazer, WWB, S&B or most other stuff I have tried except the Hornady CD. 1911 style handguns can be finnicky though.

If you do some research on the original EMP, you will find there were issues like this with them, this new version is basically same gun and so these issues have followed it, there are a lot of good replies here on your pistol, I to agree, run it slightly wet and try a different brand of ammo

Years ago, when I bought a EMP4 it would feed ball ammo with no issues. But any defensive ammo, hollow points it would stove pipe. Sent it back to Springfield, not real sure what they did to the feed ramp but its never been an issue. To me the problem sounds like a magazine issue. I understand Ronins ship with one magazine only.
Yes, it only came with one mag. I ordered two extra from Springfield and will arrive tomorrow. Fingers cross that it's a mag issue. Do you/anyone know if Springfield will replace the mag if it's malfunctioning?

Does the hammer fall when you pull the trigger ? Is there a dent in the primer on the round in the chamber when it fails to fire ? Could be bunk ammo. What kind of ammo were you using ?
No, the gun prevent me from pulling the trigger. But the slide is closed and it looked like the cartridge is seated correctly in the chamber since the slide was able to close. I don't recall if there is a dent in the primer. I think there was no dent. So far, I shot 50 rounds of Blazer brass FMJ and 50 rounds of Blazer aluminum. I'm going to try another 50 rounds of Federal and 200 rounds of Tulammo tomorrow with the new mag for testing.

Back