testtest

(Some of) Today's Youth

T

Roger. BUDs is the school or " final try outs" but you had to be in for about six months before they would even let you try out for BUDs. If you passed BUDs? That's when school really begins, but at least the physical hell is over and your in!
I think that's Navy. BUDS is the old frogman, underwater, snake eater demo stuff. Boot camp for SEALS. I don't think they call it BUDS in the Marine Corp, but I could be wrong.

I was not aware at the time I enlisted.That unless you went for the aviation guarantee.You did not get to choose your mos.Maybe its changed now.(this is the marines Im talking about).I just wanted to be a grunt.Wound up as a 2533 radio operator.I hated it.Wound up in HQ2-11 an artillary outfit in support of 5th marines.We had to provide our own security in country.Which we were not ready for.Ended up at Pendleton Military Police,good duty. Sorry didn't mean to tell war stories. Sure you've herd them all :)
You don't actually get to pick your MOS but some recruiters have no issue lying to get you to sign on. I had a Marine recruiter promise me an MOS once I got through testing at MEPS in Boston back in 1999 but he said I can't mention this to anyone there.

Once I passed the written tests (computer) and physical I was taken to a be interviewed by a Marine office and he explicitly asked if any promises of pay raise, promotion, or MOS was guaranteed to me explaining that no promises are kept once signing on. I was then taken to a room with a few other recruits from different service branches and sworn in. I didn't snitch on the recruiter that made the promise to me because I wanted to go either way.

I ended up with a medical separation the day I was shipping out when they pulled my medical records. Because of a previous injury that was on my medical records. I got a letter from my doctor saying I was good to go and I also signed a waiver for the Marines and 3 weeks later I got the reply of permanent disqualification and medical separation.

Hear alot of that. Recruiter promising and then its vapor. I originally was going to go in the Navy right out of HS. I wanted to go into the Seabees and be an underwater welder. They promised it until came time to sign the contract and then it was "oh, you have to go in under an open billet, then after they choose your job, you become proficient and then you can "apply" for the Seabees. It was like Yeah, OK, stick your contract. Did other things for a couple of years including 1/2 owner in a restaurant but couldn't shake the military bug and my personal need to serve. Sold everything and joined the AF and everything I wanted was written on the contract before I signed it.
The Navy did the same thing to me, I wanted to join because my dad was on the USS Iowa and the recruiter promised me all this good stuff then when it came down to signing he didn’t expect me to read the contract. It had nothing in it that was promised. My dad was not disappointed.

The Navy did the same thing to me, I wanted to join because my dad was on the USS Iowa and the recruiter promised me all this good stuff then when it came down to signing he didn’t expect me to read the contract. It had nothing in it that was promised. My dad was not disappointed.
They had a program, Delayed Enlistment Program, that stung a couple of my buddies. You would sign-up right before graduation, enjoy your HS summer vacation time and then when over (a couple of months) report for enlistment/duty.
They would make all kinds of promises to sign them up but between graduation and enlistment start date they change their mind about military service. They inform their recruiter they changed their mind and the recruiter informs them that once they signed that contract they became property of Uncle Sam...

They had a program, Delayed Enlistment Program, that stung a couple of my buddies. You would sign-up right before graduation, enjoy your HS summer vacation time and then when over (a couple of months) report for enlistment/duty.
They would make all kinds of promises to sign them up but between graduation and enlistment start date they change their mind about military service. They inform their recruiter they changed their mind and the recruiter informs them that once they signed that contract they became property of Uncle Sam...
The best thing I did was not sign that contract.

I don't know that this is what happened to Bill, but I do know he was already signed up before he graduated. And he didn't waiver in his commitment. I also know that when he came home after 8 years he was gung ho and re-upped for another 4. When he came back after that last 4 I asked him why he didn't re-up and go for his 20. He said "F the Marine Corps". I thought he would go to the Highway Patrol since his dad was a career "State Boy". He ended up going to the Federal Reserve Bank downtown.

I had 300+ hours of flight time in Single /Multi engine aircraft by the time I hit 19 yrs of age. Had been flying since 14 and pilots license day I turned 16.
I wanted to fly Helicopters for the military. Army or Air Force
I wear glasses, and back in the late ‘80s, they wouldnt take anyone without 20/20. Eye surgery was not allowed either .

No branch of service would take me to fly. All offered me mechanics jobs/crew chief.
They said if my eyesight was better, I’d have a pilot’s slot asap.

So I never joined the service.

Lately, there has been a group of kids as young as 11, and not just boys, running around Boston beating people up and destroying property. This has become a nightly news topic on the local channels. Some of these individuals are well known to police. From the articles I have read, some that have been arrested are spitting on police, trying to break there buddies out of the back of the cruiser, you get the idea.

The city has just announced plans to help the children and families of the involved. I wonder what the victims and taxpayers thoughts are on this?

Growing up I was petrified of my dad. Not because he yelled or kicked me around the block. Actually, the opposite. He was always there for me. I had nothing but respect for him. Seems to be missing here.

We all know the importance of being aware of our surroundings. I will admit, none of my training has covered an 11 year old. I am sure any adult would be put under a microscope that had a response other than trying to help a victim. But what about you being the victim? How would you handle something like this?

One of the many articles:
As you just recalled what life was like when kids had real parents. Not like so many of today, who looks after themselves first. We are in a time of flux..... no real direction except those who want to influence our children negatively.
Victims many times are forced to watch as the law releases perpetrators with no consequences. For the most part there is no such thing as rehabilitation, not when a person commits cream over and over. Can Jail, or some form of confinement be an answer? I wonder how others feel about hard love..... It's not for all but might help.

Kids were the same in the 50s.We would have done the same thing if we could have , but the police had no qualms about beating the hell out of us. We were afraid of the police.As it should be..We need them to maintain a civilized society.I was an orphan with no one to show me right from wrong.A miracle I didn't wind up in jail. Six years in the Marines straighten me out and pointed me in the right direction.

Sums it up. no consequences...so do as you like.

In the rustbelt some lady got arrested for stealing a bottle of nail polish. In Frisco you can steal 100 bottles of nail polish and no arrest.

Its because today parents don't give a crap. Maybe the cops need to beat the parents and the kids. Growing up in the greater Boston area we all knew better than to mess with the cops especially in Boston, they would hit you silly! Then you go home and get beat again! The common word is beat. Stop talking to kids and knock the **** out of them, they'll learn.

Its because today parents don't give a crap. Maybe the cops need to beat the parents and the kids. Growing up in the greater Boston area we all knew better than to mess with the cops especially in Boston, they would hit you silly! Then you go home and get beat again! The common word is beat. Stop talking to kids and knock the **** out of them, they'll learn.
My parents never hit me, but dad had a very good way to make his point across.

You lost the door to your room/privacy. Any fun things you had to play with. Your bike. Grounded and made to do all of moms chores. Plus dads chores for that matter. ALL OF THEM. Laundry. Toilets. Mow, wash everything. Etc… for weeks and weeks.
Chores / tasks dad needed to do like paint the house, fix the fence, etc got saved for when you did what you were not supposed to do. Learn to have respect and good behavior real quick.
He still made me so chores even when good 😏

My parents never hit me, but dad had a very good way to make his point across.

You lost the door to your room/privacy. Any fun things you had to play with. Your bike. Grounded and made to do all of moms chores. Plus dads chores for that matter. ALL OF THEM. Laundry. Toilets. Mow, wash everything. Etc… for weeks and weeks.
Chores / tasks dad needed to do like paint the house, fix the fence, etc got saved for when you did what you were not supposed to do. Learn to have respect and good behavior real quick.
He still made me so chores even when good 😏
I only got one beating. It started in 1955 and lasted for about 10 years!

Back