testtest

When You Are Your Own First Responder — Setting Up a Rural Home Defense Rifle

Good article, Mike, especially for those folks new to rural living. Growing up, our nearest neighbor was a quarter mile and the closest town with law enforcement 13 miles. Three miles of gravel road the shortest way. Grew and canned most of our food, including a few cows, hogs and chickens. I really miss those days! We had a few rifles, but never an AR.

I’d say this applies to any household, rural or suburban.
Police in the city can be long getting to someone as well
Sad state of affairs. Good article that everyone should pass along.

Try calling the PD on the weekends here. The only city in the world that has a Memorial Day Weekend Violence Response Plan in effect starting today.

I could be wrong and maybe they changed rules, but in Chicago they require that upon retirement, previously certified and carbine trained officers are to dispose of their personal AR’s (and Pmags) either altogether or keep them outside of city/county limits.

The article seems more like an ad for the author's favorite set up disguised as advice. Optic, sling, light, training, yada, yada, yada. Pretty much the same exact thing nearly everyone does to all of their defensive weapons.

And other than whatever rifle you have set up for longer than CQB distances a Mil Spec trigger will do just fine. And frankly even though I do have an AR set up for 200 and up, it is NOT the rifle I will grab for a long range threat. Which is a misnomer anyway. Even in extremely rural areas it's hard to imagine justifiably smoking someone at 400 yards out. Nevertheless, for the sake of preparedness for anything, having an AR set up with a GOOD scope and a nice trigger is a solid idea in theory. I would argue that your AR with the unmagnified optic doesn't need to have a $300 Gieselle trigger to be a more than adequate defensive rifle.

Train with the guns you use. And I ain't talking about just setting some targets out at the range and shooting them.

I prefer to keep things simple. My defensive gun when out on the land is a Mossberg Maverick 88. It is the 7+1 Security model with a 20" barrel. The only modification/accessorizing done to the gun is a tube-mounted flashlight and a 6-slot shell holder on the stock. I doubt that I have more than $250 invested in the gun, but I feel confident in its ability to get the job done.

I might have a fancier setup if we lived out there full-time. For now, it would seem almost wasteful to leave anything with too many fancy gadgets unattended on the land for the majority of the year. I frequently bring an AR or two out to the land with me, but these are for fun and varmint control more than specifically for defense.

I prefer to keep things simple. My defensive gun when out on the land is a Mossberg Maverick 88. It is the 7+1 Security model with a 20" barrel. The only modification/accessorizing done to the gun is a tube-mounted flashlight and a 6-slot shell holder on the stock. I doubt that I have more than $250 invested in the gun, but I feel confident in its ability to get the job done.

I might have a fancier setup if we lived out there full-time. For now, it would seem almost wasteful to leave anything with too many fancy gadgets unattended on the land for the majority of the year. I frequently bring an AR or two out to the land with me, but these are for fun and varmint control more than specifically for defense.
The Sec 88 is my land gun as well for E Tx woods. I like having open sight and a couple ounces of lead to knock down hogs close in you stumble upon. Leaves a BIG hole in hogs. Makes great SD weapon if needed as well at camp vs a scoped deer rifle

The Sec 88 is my land gun as well for E Tx woods. I like having open sight and a couple ounces of lead to knock down hogs close in you stumble upon. Leaves a BIG hole in hogs. Makes great SD weapon if needed as well at camp vs a scoped deer rifle
I always liked open sights on shotguns. Not really a huge fan of ghost rings. I put a 510C on one recently and will soon be putting them on all of them. Far superior to anything I have ever tried. And I've been around shotguns a fair bit.

Sad state of affairs. Good article that everyone should pass along.

Try calling the PD on the weekends here. The only city in the world that has a Memorial Day Weekend Violence Response Plan in effect starting today.

I could be wrong and maybe they changed rules, but in Chicago they require that upon retirement, previously certified and carbine trained officers are to dispose of their personal AR’s (and Pmags) either altogether or keep them outside of city/county limits.
That is just on the verge of totally idiotic. Get rid of it or move. I'd be outa there so fast their heads would spin.

Mike, I just purchase my first AR platform rifle, The Springfield Saint 5.56 Nato. I haven't fired it yet, but I can still break them down and put them back together. Takes me a little longer then the required 3 minutes.

As I live in a rural area exactly as described in the article, I depend on an AR in .300 AAC as my Primary Defense Weapon. An old Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 is my backup.

Back