testtest

The Hellcat, Again...

Loyd

Alpha
Founding Member
So I have the hellcat, was one of the first to anixously purchase it. Ive done nothing but raved about it. Telling everyone how awesome it was...blah blah blah.
However, do have an issue with it now and sent it back to Springfield Armory and they said they found nothing wrong with it. Anywho...when I shoot my Hellcat the casings are flipping backwards onto me. Landing on my chest/neck area, then rolling down into my shirt. They dont fly off to the right like all the other Springfields that i own. They literally go backwards and i have several burn marks to prove it. These casings are NOT richoting off the wall. I had my son shoot it and watched the casings as they were ejected. Same results.
Springfield is implying that it's user error and im holding it wrong. Again i have 3 other 9mm pistols from Springfield. And 2 more from different manufacturers. Never had this problem. I know how to shoot properly. Needless to say, i was offended and disappointed with there response.
My question is has anyone else noticed any "issues" with the Hellcat???

Attachments

• 15828588874256444955061226587972.jpg
    15828588874256444955061226587972.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 262
I've seen poor ejection twice recently on two different guns. One was a really dirty unmaintained Beretta Storm Carbine (not mine) which basically rolled the casings out of the gun onto your skin and the second was a factory defect with my mini-14 which was a constant FTE & stove piping which was corrected recently.

These maybe dumb questions please take no offense but what type of ammo are you using?

What brands have you tried?

Are you using reloads?

Is it brass, steel, or aluminum cased?

Is it SAAMI spec ammo?

Last edited:
No Im not using reloads.
At the range I use Winchester 9mm FMJ, 115 gr.
When I carry I use Hornady hollow points.
This is the same for all of my 9mm pistols, including the Sig P365.
Also I do keep my guns clean.
I thought it was a manufacturing defect as well, especially since it was so new.
The just returned the Hellcat to me without making any adjustments.

I went back to carrying the Sig. If I ever needed to use the Hellcat for defense, Ill be trying dodge the casings for fear, it'll take my eye out.

The ejector is designed to force the brass to fling in a specific direction. If you truly are holding correctly and not that "gangsta" hold. It would be a defect with the ejector. Someone at Springfield probably just looked at it and saw nothing out of the ordinary. And assumed user error without testing it. Either send it back again and be adamant they test fire it. Or take it to a local gunsmith.

I had a similar experience with a faulty video card. I had a Gigabyte 960 and it died on me with only 4 months of use. I sent it in and I got back the exact same card. Again it died. But the second time I sent it in. I was adamant they test it. And I got back a brand new card. New S/N and everything. 3 years later still works to this day.

The ejector is designed to force the brass to fling in a specific direction. If you truly are holding correctly and not that "gangsta" hold. It would be a defect with the ejector. Someone at Springfield probably just looked at it and saw nothing out of the ordinary. And assumed user error without testing it. Either send it back again and be adamant they test fire it. Or take it to a local gunsmith.
I took two times of me sending my Mini-14 to Ruger before they actually test fired it and determined the gun was defective. Like you mentioned I had to insist they fire the gun multiple times.

No Im not using reloads.
I thought it was a manufacturing defect as well, especially since it was so new.
The just returned the Hellcat to me without making any adjustments.

I went back to carrying the Sig. If I ever needed to use the Hellcat for defense, Ill be trying dodge the casings for fear, it'll take my eye out.
I'm no gunsmith but if you're using Winchester it should be SAAMI spec and you are not limp wristing there could be a problem with the recoil spring or extractor. Best not to self diagnose the parts issue and send it in again. I personally have not heard of this being an issue with the Hellcat but anything is possible no matter the positive reputation of a product.

No Im not using reloads.
They just returned the Hellcat to me without making any adjustments.

Thanks for the info. FYI- I don't do the "gangsta" hold.

Since I am not there when you and your son are shooting it, I am still going to say it’s the Winchester ammo, especially if it’s the white box type. I have had nothing but bad results with that ammo, I may be wrong here, just my opinion. I would also try a different weight of bullet to. My S&W Shield is real funny with certain weight of ammo I am using, it likes the heavier bullet weight then the 115gr. Hope you get it figured out.

Since I am not there when you and your son are shooting it, I am still going to say it’s the Winchester ammo, especially if it’s the white box type. I have had nothing but bad results with that ammo, I may be wrong here, just my opinion. I would also try a different weight of bullet to. My S&W Shield is real funny with certain weight of ammo I am using, it likes the heavier bullet weight then the 115gr. Hope you get it figured out.

Same thing the Glock Tech told me about my G19 and FTE Stovepipes I was having. He suggested that I shoot 124gr instead of the 115gr that I was currently using. Said 124 would be better to work the recoil spring

I've had mixed results with anything Winchester white box also. Their .22lr ammo is complete crud to me.

Last edited:
Please guys give me the benefit of the doubt. I am not some weak delicate little flower, nor am I a thug. If i were weak or "gangsta" I would have an issue with all my weapons, and possibly a couple ER visits.
I have 3 Springfields, 1 Sig, 1 Canik, 1 1911, 1 AR, 2 Shotguns.
I am holding my weapons properly. The Hellcat is the only one have this issue with. I still hit my target spot on.
Again thanks for the advice.

Please guys give me the benefit of the doubt. I am not some weak delicate little flower, nor am I a thug. If i were weak or "gangsta" I would have an issue with all my weapons, and possibly a couple ER visits.
I have 3 Springfields, 1 Sig, 1 Canik, 1 1911, 1 AR, 2 Shotguns.
I am holding my weapons properly. The Hellcat is the only one have this issue with. I still hit my target spot on.
Again thanks for the advice.

The official way to shoot a Hi-Point!
Screenshot_20200228-152339_Firefox.jpg

Loyd, you made a post here about an issue with your Hellcat, all we are doing is trying to give you different opinions on what may be happening, 10mm was just making a joke here, nothing more, we are a friendly bunch of guys here, and we try to help out if we can with your issue.

Back