testtest

Top off magazine?

Tasks that aren’t too difficult to go on ahead and do both though eh? I mean it’s not one or the other. If it was You’d only need one bullet.
I wasn’t meaning that I only needed one round, but I don’t spas on if I need a full mag and one to top off my gun, I concentrate on shot placement, that’s how I was trained early on years ago, and still today, if a had a 5 shot revolver, and only 5 shots, I sure as hell would want to know that my shots meant something instead of worrying about a reload, just me

I do not top off the magazine after loading for one reason only. When I remove the firearm from my immediate possession I empty the chamber. If I had topped off the magazine i would at that point I have one loose round to do something with. To me that's a PIA, so I simply do not do so. It's not worth having one extra round for daily carry to bother with that.

After loading , removing the magazine and adding a round is indeed topping off the magazine. If it was downloading there would be one less round in the magazine prior to loading the chamber. Effectively making two rounds less in the pistol upon loading.
Makes sense from your POV I suppose. From my POV you now have a 6 rd. Mag instead of a 7. I also avoid continually loading and unloading the chamber. Every time you do that you are affecting that round. I used to do that and I can show you .40 and .45 shells where the bullet is seated further into the case than it was when I bought it. It’s been a pretty significant problem with .40.

That said, if you have a reason you need that pistol to have a clear chamber then do what you gotta do. I have no such reason. I would shoot your carry ammo and replace it more often though if I was you.

I wasn’t meaning that I only needed one round, but I don’t spas on if I need a full mag and one to top off my gun, I concentrate on shot placement, that’s how I was trained early on years ago, and still today, if a had a 5 shot revolver, and only 5 shots, I sure as hell would want to know that my shots meant something instead of worrying about a reload, just me
I get it brother. Like I said, I don’t give that extra round a second thought. Whether it’s a 7 round .45 or a 19 rd. 9 mm, we are still training for good hits as quickly as possible.

There are only two occasions when you can have too much ammo:
1. When Swimming
2. When on Fire!
Proceed accordingly
ACB79675-7D13-4968-99DE-4C3BBC81EDC3.gif

I normally bring a defense gun (9 or .45) and a .22 (usually a rifle). I enjoy the .22’s an awful lot. I don’t mind cleaning them. Part of the range day for me.
it gets to be a bit too much for me to clean more than one gun at a time. this is why too, i go to the range one day, then the club another. 2 guns still get "exercised" that week.

Think back. When has your pistol ever jammed?
Usually after firing the one in the chamber
over a topped off magazine, right.
Why then? Here is my theory.

A full magazine presses hard against the underside of the slide.
This drag can slow down the slide enough to cause a jam.

In my opinion, the second shot is far more important than the ninth.
John Moses Browning had it right the first time for the 1911.
Seven round magazines.

Never. Last pistol I had that jammed was about a decade ago and it turns out it was the crappy Mec Gar aftermarket mags.
I think this is the first time I've ever heard "crappy" and "MecGar" used in the same sentence.

The last time I had a feed Jam was at the range with a Glock 26. Using an aftermarket Magpul magazine. I don't use aftermarket magazines any place else but the range and that one is for sure staying in my range bag. Because it's a wonderful training aid on how to reduce the malfunction.

How many here top off the magazine from thier carry pistol? Was at the range today and met a new member who was vehemently pushing for the magazine to be topped off after loading.

I do not do that and he was basically calling anyone who doesn't a fool. All I could do was shake my head and walk away, crossing him off the talk to list in my head.

Made me wonder though, how many do this? I do not do so simply because every time I may unload I will have a loose cartridge to keep track of.

If I used a pistol for bedside I might do that for it, if i left it with a loaded chamber. But I use a revolver instead.

Never top off. That being said it may be OK. But topping off seems like pushing things some. Last full round does not seem to load as easily as the rest. I always keep mags fully loaded minus one and one round in the chamber. Only exception is I don't keep one in the chamber with AR and shotgun at home. But if things keep going to hell, I may start. Other than that, pistols are always ready to go.

I gave up on revolvers after Summer of Love 2020. Just kept a dozen revolvers in storage for back up against dems outlawing semi-auto. Revolvers are pretty useless in this day and age. If I knew for sure semi-auto would never be outlawed, I'd dump the revolvers.

We have all seen the hordes of zombies with our own eyes. What other info do you need to know to retire your six shooters? (Or even worse...5 shooter snubs.)

Never top off. That being said it may be OK. But topping off seems like pushing things some. Last full round does not seem to load as easily as the rest. I always keep mags fully loaded minus one and one round in the chamber. Only exception is I don't keep one in the chamber with AR and shotgun at home. But if things keep going to hell, I may start. Other than that, pistols are always ready to go.

I gave up on revolvers after Summer of Love 2020. Just kept a dozen revolvers in storage for back up against dems outlawing semi-auto. Revolvers are pretty useless in this day and age. If I knew for sure semi-auto would never be outlawed, I'd dump the revolvers.

We have all seen the hordes of zombies with our own eyes. What other info do you need to know to retire your six shooters? (Or even worse...5 shooter snubs.)
when your gun runs out of ammo, you are out of ammo.

don't matter semi-automatic, or revolver, or a slingshot. (ya run outta rocks too, eh..????)

i got into revolvers from my days of watching old westerns. revolvers can jam up, for sure, i know this, had it happen to me, but it was the ammo, not the gun. (it was reloaded ammo that i bought, and the seating depth was not correct.)

anything can break at any time, that's a given. but revolvers are as dependable as all hell too. i cannot see myself selling away any of mine, any time too soon, in fact in time, i will be buying another, and another.

i cannot say that revolvers will hold their value, unless they are of the old build quality and number run out the factory.

but there will always be a market for revolvers.

everyone has a like and dislike on some types of firearms. i like all handguns, from all over the world, and all old style lever action rifles. i personally have no use, nor want for an AR as an example.

no gun is "useless in this day and age", when you need it, and you got it, and it just dam well shoots..........

I think this is the first time I've ever heard "crappy" and "MecGar" used in the same sentence.

The last time I had a feed Jam was at the range with a Glock 26. Using an aftermarket Magpul magazine. I don't use aftermarket magazines any place else but the range and that one is for sure staying in my range bag. Because it's a wonderful training aid on how to reduce the malfunction.
I have 4 of them. All aftermarket 10 rounders for a Llama Max II. OEM mags are 13 round. After the Clinton AWB they were impossible to get. All of the Mec Gar 10 rounders I bought induced feeding problems. With the OEM 13 rounders that gun has never jammed. I only have 2 of them though.

I have 4 of them. All aftermarket 10 rounders for a Llama Max II. OEM mags are 13 round. After the Clinton AWB they were impossible to get. All of the Mec Gar 10 rounders I bought induced feeding problems. With the OEM 13 rounders that gun has never jammed. I only have 2 of them though.
Llama firearms do not have a wonderful reputation. Sight unseen I would question the quality of the Llama firearm before I question the quality of the Mec Gar magazine

Seems simple to me owner/shooter choice. Of all of the many gun/ammo thoughts I have had this particular item had never blipped my thought radar. Thanks for adding a new thought

Back