testtest

Caliber Wars:

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

What’s the Best Defensive Handgun Cartridge?

One fight that never dies in the gun world is the great caliber debate. This is especially true because we tend to be so deeply entrenched in our beliefs, even if they’re a little outdated.

Caliber Wars:

1658700412679.png

Except for legacy firearms, I think the .30 Super just kicked the .380, and maybe the 9mm, to the curb for small single-stack semi-autos.

• Haha
Reactions: +P+
They have been having this conversation for about as long as I can remember. Never been resolved to any real extent and never will be in my lifetime I expect.

Maybe when they bring out phasers...

8 rounds of 9mm took that shooter in Indiana down in 15 seconds. At 40 yards, no less. I think it comes down to shot placement and number of rounds in the target. Yes, I still love my .45acp, but it comes down to carry concealment and comfort for me. I don't have a large enough frame to hide my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact .45 that well, so it comes down to the Shield 9 m2.0. At least until I get my Mossberg MC2C. Then I will be carrying that most of the time. Colder months are for the .45.

Hi,

This guy doesn't like 30SC for a myriad of reasons. I tend to agree with him. I'll stick to 9mm and .45 for now.

But what do I know? Not much. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I've seen that, but like a poor marksman he keep missing the target.

Hi,

This guy doesn't like 30SC for a myriad of reasons. I tend to agree with him. I'll stick to 9mm and .45 for now.

But what do I know? Not much. :p

BassCliff
#2 - The guy also says he was a VP of the defunct Remington Outdoors Company. Well we all know what happened there. Now he writes internet articles on a barely-known website.

But this article is a far more objective review of the cartridge.

22 WMR, 327 Mag., 38 Spl., 357 Mag., 380acp, 9x19, 357 SIG, 40 S&W, 10mm, 41 Mag., 44 Spl., 45 GAP, 45acp, 45 Colt.

Those are my choices for "best" because they are my favorites.

I am intrigued by the new 30SC but I've never owned one much less shot one, so...

Hi,

#2 - The guy also says he was a VP of the defunct Remington Outdoors Company. Well we all know what happened there. Now he writes internet articles on a barely-known website.

But this article is a far more objective review of the cartridge.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, those were much less snarky critiques. ;) The 30SC seems like a compromise in a few areas but has a couple of advantages. Perhaps that's what some people are looking for, smaller gun with more capacity and maybe a little lighter recoil. As I mentioned, I don't know much so I'll not be an early adopter. I still think the best caliber for self defense is the one you're carrying. :D

BassCliff

Last edited:
.30 sc looks like a nice cartridge, but make the others obsolete, doubtful. Biggest reason is they are deeply entrenched already so it faces uphill battle right from the start.

Add to this the sheer numbers of new gun owner in the past few years prior to this cartridge really getting its feet under it. I just dont know where the huge numbers of sales it will take going to come from. A good share of those fence sitters already bought something else. People are unlikely to dump what they have to flock to it. And many, if they buy again, as long as they like what they have, will get the same caliber they already have unless it's for a completly different purpose. I know I will, I already have .380 and just bought a 9mm and will add another most likely, over a .30. And then reload for the 9mm and 380.

As good as it may be, it could be in 10 years just be a nice idea which never made it. Just an opinion, hope I am wrong. Now if magazine limits do really take hold it may have a better chance rather like another new cartridge a number of years back during the last mag limit.

Last edited:
Reactions: +P+
8 rounds of 9mm took that shooter in Indiana down in 15 seconds. At 40 yards, no less. I think it comes down to shot placement and number of rounds in the target. Yes, I still love my .45acp, but it comes down to carry concealment and comfort for me. I don't have a large enough frame to hide my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact .45 that well, so it comes down to the Shield 9 m2.0. At least until I get my Mossberg MC2C. Then I will be carrying that most of the time. Colder months are for the .45.
How many rounds did Jacob Blake take to the back and survive? Stopping power is grossly misunderstood.

Reactions: dad
How many rounds did Jacob Blake take to the back and survive? Stopping power is grossly misunderstood.
Interesting. Would love to know what bullets he used and where the shots landed. And as for how many shot it took to bring him down some of those might have landed on the way down As for the best defensive round I have always heard it is the largest most powerful round you can shoot accurately and effectively.

Interesting. Would love to know what bullets he used and where the shots landed. And as for how many shot it took to bring him down some of those might have landed on the way down As for the best defensive round I have always heard it is the largest most powerful round you can shoot accurately and effectively.
A hectic situation, land what you can.

Back