testtest

The case for spare ammo

I don't know that I put a whole lot of thought into how much ammunition to carry. There's a quote from Masaad Ayoob in which he essentially says If the cops carry two reloads you should too.

This is the quote

Two complete reloads was standard equipment for most police officers before any of us here were born. If I was asked in court why I carry spare ammunition, my answer would probably be the same as my answer for why I load with hollow point ammunition:

"Sir, if the police determined it was the best thing to use to protect people such as myself and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best thing for ME to carry to protect myself and my family."

I've decided that I'm going to carry at least one reload. I've also decided not to care about what other people do.

I don't know that I put a whole lot of thought into how much ammunition to carry. There's a quote from Masaad Ayoob in which he essentially says If the cops carry two reloads you should too.

This is the quote

Two complete reloads was standard equipment for most police officers before any of us here were born. If I was asked in court why I carry spare ammunition, my answer would probably be the same as my answer for why I load with hollow point ammunition:

"Sir, if the police determined it was the best thing to use to protect people such as myself and my family, it seemed obvious that it was the best thing for ME to carry to protect myself and my family."

I've decided that I'm going to carry at least one reload. I've also decided not to care about what other people do.
I'm with @HayesGreener on spare ammunition. The only time you can have too much is if you're swimming or on fire.

I always carry extra ammo; I just carry it in a second (or third) gun. I definitely see the wisdom behind having more ammo, but I prefer the benefits of additional guns.

I spent hours practicing reloads when I was a street cop, but all of this practice was on a range with just the clock and a target as my opponents. I think we take for granted that we will always have distance at our disposal during a lethal confrontation. I'm assuming that if a situation required more than one magazine worth of ammo, it would involve multiple attackers. If my attackers were really intent on harming me, and didn't start fleeing the second gunfire began, then I would expect at least one of them to close the distance.

I grew up wrestling and was fortunate enough to start training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with the Gracie family in the 90's (before it became common). In my prime I was legitimately a world class grappler. Even then, I'm not sure if I could have pulled off a reload while wrestling one or more attackers. In this rare circumstance, I would prefer to drop an empty gun and grab a full one (the classic New York reload), rather than try to get a magazine into the magwell and drop the slide against active physical resistance.

Due to my police background, people occasionally ask me if there is any particular gun that is the absolute best to have in a gunfight. My answer is: "Yes, the one in your buddy's hands". In any gunfight, having more guns on your side of the fight (in trained hands) greatly increases your odds of survival. I'm a married father, and it feels like I haven't gone anywhere alone in over a decade. If I find myself in a SHTF situation in public, I'd feel much more confident handing one loaded gun to a friend or family member than I would if I handed them any number of loaded magazines.

I do not mean to imply that my way is superior to others, it's just what I am most comfortable with. This is a decision we all have to make for ourselves, and I respect any strategy that any other responsibly-armed citizen chooses to employ.

I’m looking for a magazine carrier that doesn’t allow the stainless steel of the magazine to show.
I like the horizontal mag carrier from Safariland, but really not sure about shine, never noticed. Shine if it showed would be top or bottom of belt.

I like the horizontal mag carrier from Safariland, but really not sure about shine, never noticed. Shine if it showed would be top or bottom of belt.

Thanks for the link.
I like SafariLand products but not a fan of having a strap over the mag that needs to be moved before pulling the mag out.

Back