testtest

SimonRL Goes to the Range: The Prodigy Edition

SimonRL

Hellcat
Well, well, well, as promised I took on the role of Prodigy beta tester and put 151 rounds through it today. “That’s very precise,” you say. More in a moment.

So, here is is: The Prodigy is exactly what we’ve been looking for - a 1911 that will hold 17+ rounds. It looks like a 1911, feels like a 1911 and shoots like a 1911. It’s nearly perfect.

“What would make it perfect?” You ask.

If it didn’t do this;
FC914FF8-552A-4E35-8E0F-7C287BCA0BAF.jpeg

This:
D6334F71-6EA1-4ACC-9349-DB14FFBAFCE2.jpeg

This
F2042956-C030-4C98-9777-DB99DB76E19B.jpeg

This
0E4BEAEB-3463-4405-98EB-9BB4154E291D.jpeg

Or This
2FFFEF04-D749-426F-842D-BF646ACAE350.jpeg

I had four failures to feed - all from the 17 rd mag on rd 6 or rd 7, which is really weird and 1 rd that chambered but the gun jammed. The 20 rd mag ran fine. I did not illy load the mags until the last 50 rds and they both ran fine. I tried to run Sig 115gr V-Crown and the 1st and 3rd rds jammed so badly that I had to shotgun the Prodigy both times to get it I jammed. Rd 2, however hit bull. I went no further with the V-Crown. I ran 124 gr Blazer Brass and 115 gr MagTech for the other 150 rounds. I shot at 7, 10, 12 and 15 yds.

As you’ll see from my target the gun ran fine despite the assorted FTFs and for straight out of the box I would consider today’s foray a success. I found the iron sights a little difficult to get used to and they seemed to shoot a bit high for me, but I will sort that out once I get a red dot on it.

B3BF958A-869D-49D7-987C-8686132F947A.jpeg

I completely lost the plot top left, but got it together top right. 2nd row, right is the last 50 rds at 10yds. That pretty much says it all, as does the the 7yd target at the very bottom.

As I said previously, some glitches, but straight out of the box I will take this all day long.

Attachments

• 56201937-7D91-479A-AA6A-7BC795F76D8D.jpeg
    56201937-7D91-479A-AA6A-7BC795F76D8D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • 828F62CC-8B44-400B-AF73-35E4B180B70D.jpeg
    828F62CC-8B44-400B-AF73-35E4B180B70D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 09182390-1D6C-4959-8182-402A82F881E7.jpeg
    09182390-1D6C-4959-8182-402A82F881E7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Well, well, well, as promised I took on the role of Prodigy tester and put 151 round through it today. “That’s very precise,” you say. More in a moment.

So, here is is: The Prodigy is exactly what we’ve been looking for - a 1911 that will hold 17+ rounds. It looks like a 1911, feels like a 1911 and shoots like a 1911. It’s nearly perfect.

“What would make it perfect?” You ask.

If it didn’t do this;
View attachment 30436
This:
View attachment 30437
This
View attachment 30440
ThisView attachment 30441
Or This
View attachment 30442
I had four failures to feed - all from the 17 rd mag on rd 6 or rd 7, which is really weird and 1 rd that chambered but the gun jammed. The 20 rd mag ran fine. I did not illy load the mags until the last 50 rds and they both ran fine. I tried to run Sig 115gr V-Crown and the 1st and 3rd rds jammed so badly that I had to shotgun the Prodigy both times to get it I jammed. Rd 2, however hit bull. I went no further with the V-Crown. I ran 124 gr Blazer Brass and 115 gr MagTech for the other 150 rounds. I shot at 7, 10, 12 and 15 yds.

As you’ll see from my target the gun ran fine despite the assorted FTFs and for straight out of the box I would consider today’s foray a success. I found the iron sights a little difficult to get used to and they seemed to shoot a bit high for me, but I will sort that out once I get a red dot on it.

View attachment 30448

I completely list the plot too left, but got it together top right. 2nd row, right is the last 50 rds at 10yds. That pretty much says it all, as does the the 7yd target at the very bottom.

As I said previously, some glitches, but straight out of the box I will take this all day long.
Good shooting, have you thought to change the recoil spring from the factory 9 pound? Read somewhere, think it was here about the spring may be to light. My RO Operator had similar issues and Springfield said the factory spring was the 9 pound, I switched it to a 12 pound like my Kimber 9mm had and the issues went away, just a thought. Nice gun though

Good shooting, have you thought to change the recoil spring from the factory 9 pound? Read somewhere, think it was here about the spring may be to light. My RO Operator had similar issues and Springfield said the factory spring was the 9 pound, I switched it to a 12 pound like my Kimber 9mm had and the issues went away, just a thought. Nice gun though
That will probably be my next move. I have a set of Wolff springs. I’ll give it a try.

Nice. I had a similar incident like you are showing on your 5th picture where the gun looks like it almost went into battery. I noticed a gun of mine did that when I installed an after market barrel. I had to hone the chamber some, until then it was very ammo sensitive. Maybe the chamber is tight? I'll see if I can measure mine.

Nice. I had a similar incident like you are showing on your 5th picture where the gun looks like it almost went into battery. I noticed a gun of mine did that when I installed an after market barrel. I had to hone the chamber some, until then it was very ammo sensitive. Maybe the chamber is tight? I'll see if I can measure mine.
That was with the Sig V Crown hollow points. I’ve got some Underwood and some Speer Gold Dot hollow points that I’ll try next. I think it’s the tightness of the gun. I’m hoping more rounds down range will sort it out as it wears in.

That will probably be my next move. I have a set of Wolff springs. I’ll give it a try.
From what I’m reading on the Springfield Armory groups on FB the FT- Feed with the new Prodigy is a BIG issue with one guy reporting 90 FTF’s out of 150 rounds.
Since many FB posters don’t have a filter I won’t go into detail about what is being said about Springfield and this new gun.

I have been seeing the same thing Keystone - lots of little issues that should not be happening with a 1600 gun. When I bought my Staccato (not saying they are perfect or anything, but...) it has not misfired, failed to feed or glitched once! That is what I, rightfully, expect for a 2000+ gun. Springfield needs to work out the bugs before I will think of buying one of the Prodigys (bought ANOTHER Garrison tho on the other hand, lol). Also, it sure looks like a Staccato to me? Doesnt it?

From what I’m reading on the Springfield Armory groups on FB the FT- Feed with the new Prodigy is a BIG issue with one guy reporting 90 FTF’s out of 150 rounds.
Since many FB posters don’t have a filter I won’t go into detail about what is being said about Springfield and this new gun.
Everything I read on FB I ignore - even the good stuff - because it seems to attract lunatics. That being said on many forums I am seeing similar issues, although not quite as severe as 90 out of 150 failures. Frankly, just about every time a brand new gun comes out the usual malcontents do their thing. Most of us make that decision to wait or take the plunge at their peril. With my Prodigy I had 4 Feed issues in the first 100 rounds and none in the next 50. I had already read about the failures so wasn’t startled when they happened. Plenty of 1911s have teething issues while they’re new and wear in. I expect it will be the same with the Prodigy. None of the video reviews I’ve seen from major gun reviewers had these issues. Perhaps because the gun they got had been run in.

Everything I read on FB I ignore - even the good stuff - because it seems to attract lunatics. That being said on many forums I am seeing similar issues, although not quite as severe as 90 out of 150 failures. Frankly, just about every time a brand new gun comes out the usual malcontents do their thing. Most of us make that decision to wait or take the plunge at their peril. With my Prodigy I had 4 Feed issues in the first 100 rounds and none in the next 50. I had already read about the failures so wasn’t startled when they happened. Plenty of 1911s have teething issues while they’re new and wear in. I expect it will be the same with the Prodigy. None of the video reviews I’ve seen from major gun reviewers had these issues. Perhaps because the gun they got had been run in.
Agreed.

4 in the first 50 is a little high, but not excessive, for a new, production run 1911.

Back