testtest

rebate question: Am I being Salty?

IamSalty

Operator
Just a thanks/or a sorry in adavnce for reading the ravings of a salty person.

Just got a Hellcat OSP, my first SA product. Haven't been to the range yet, but seems nice dry firing.
And now for the question. If you saw this ad, would you assume that it somes with a rebate?
Just from the tone, you can probably guess what I think. I am curious what others think.

Full disclosure: This did include a Gear Up package. I ended up paying more buying from Bud's due to transfer fees than I would have if I had bought a stand alone Hellcat OSP locally and applied for the rebate. SA said it was Bud's issue, Bud's says that just because it is tagged with a rebate doesn't mean that it is eligible for a rebate. I believe that this issue is widespread on Bud's. You can check this out just by searching "Gear Up" and seeing all of the rebate tags.

Here is the current Springfield HELLCAT (117927) GEARUP - 13+1 Rounds ad. I just attached a screenshotted copy from 9/21/2022 below.
SA rebate ad.PNG

Buds Hellcat 117927-1.PNG

Last edited:
Just a thanks/or a sorry in adavnce for reading the ravings of a salty person.

Just got a Hellcat OSP, my first SA product. Haven't been to the range yet, but seems nice dry firing.
And now for the question. If you saw this ad, would you assume that it somes with a rebate?
Just from the tone, you can probably guess what I think. I am curious what others think.

Full disclosure: This did include a Gear Up package. I ended up paying more buying from Bud's due to transfer fees than I would have if I had bought a stand alone Hellcat OSP locally and applied for the rebate. SA said it was Bud's issue, Bud's says that just because it is tagged with a rebate doesn't mean that it is eligible for a rebate. I believe that this issue is widespread on Bud's. You can check this out just by searching "Gear Up" and seeing all of the rebate tags.

Here is the current Springfield HELLCAT (117927) GEARUP - 13+1 Rounds ad. I just attached a screenshotted copy from 9/21/2022 below.
View attachment 31002

View attachment 31001
“Rebate” as in, free mags and a bag, and you have to go through SA to get it, it doesn’t come with the gun…but there’s nothing that indicates a rebate check…I don’t understand how anyone would think there was.

Sounds almost like false advertising to me, the GearUp Promotion is not a rebate. A rebate is in reference to paying back money. If you clicked the Rebate Available link, what did it say?

For those people that don't know about the promotion period ... the striker fired SA pistols are sold both ways. During the GearUp Promotion period you can buy the whole package upfront which includes the extra magazines and carry bag OR you can buy just the gun and then apply for the free goodies through the SA website.

To date I've done it both ways, note that online stores tend to charge a bit more for the GearUp package, which I feel is a buncha BS but you will get the "free" gear faster. Otherwise, buy just the gun and submit you serial number on the SA website and it will be confirmed (offer ends Sept 30), then you will get your free stuff in 6 to 8 weeks.

Last edited:
I would hold buds to the fire. Probably won't help but let them know why you feel you got ripped off.

for Junior2K20

per following the rebate link in the Bud's ad... The click "HERE" goes the the SA Gear Up promotion.

View attachment 31009

So the gripe is that the gun is labeled with the GearUp Promotion AND it includes a Rebate too, yes that is on Buds to fix their website because the promotion is not a rebate. SA tracks the serial numbers, which guns include the package and which guns do not include the package.

I don't know if this is a thing ... but what would really **** me off is if I bought from an online store where the gun was labeled with the GearUp promotion (as shown in the screen capture) and it arrived at the local FFL dealer after the promotion period ended and you realized the GearUp kit wasn't included. Have you been screwed out of the promotion??

for @Junior2K20
I did receive a Gear Up package as it was listed. My question was as the Hellcat was advertised, was I wrong for thinking that it was still eligible for the SA promotion/rebate.

for @nmedge
I think that I agree that it is a Bud's issue. I already talked to CS, and they pretty much said I was out of luck. I like the hellcat, but I think that I am soured on Bud's going forward.

for @Junior2K20
I did receive a Gear Up package as it was listed. My question was as the Hellcat was advertised, was I wrong for thinking that it was still eligible for the SA promotion/rebate.

for @nmedge
I think that I agree that it is a Bud's issue. I already talked to CS, and they pretty much said I was out of luck. I like the hellcat, but I think that I am soured on Bud's going forward.

I have bought my last three guns from MidwayUSA, prices seem reasonable, and handguns are shipped free 3 day. I use the wish list and notifications feature extensively for items not in stock.

for @Junior2K20

for @nmedge
I knew right away and would have known that the Bud's ad you posted included the Gear Up promotional package already (aka 5 mags in total and a range bag), so it would not be eligible for 3 more mags and another range bag (aka another Gear Up Package).

One, I would have even called to inquire for clearfication if the $500 Hellcat was eligible for 8 new mags in total and two range bags because common sense dictates that that doesn't sound right. Other than that, I have seen LGS and online vendors offer Springfield and other manufactures "promotional extras" as a package included with the gun that you get right away instead of having to submit a rebate and wait for the items in the mail. This is nothing new.

I can see how someone can get confused, but the fact is that it was mentioned several times that the the Gear Up promotion was included in both the model number, the title, and the description on Bud's page. On Springfield's rebate page, they state: "CANNOT BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANY OTHER SPRINGFIELD PROMOTION."

Last edited:
This^^^^
I just bought a XD-m Elite .45 compact. It came with the range bad and 5 magazines. Two were standard with the firearm 3 were part if the bag and mag promo. The owner of the store also told me to go to Springfield and get the bag a mag promo as well.
Since I already had the bag I was sure that promo didn't apply to me. Went to Springfield site and plugging in the serial number confirmed I was correct. The sight simply said "this firearm is not eligible". It's evidently confusing for the LGS owners as well.

Back