testtest

How Much Of A Role Does Avoiding Trouble Play In Your Overall Strategy?

The Night Rider

Professional
I was reading a news story today about a 7-11 that was robbed a few days back in my town.

This particular 7-11 is at an intersection that is considered to be Ground Zero of the worst neighborhood in town. When that 7-11 is robbed no one is ever surprised. When there's a shooting at that intersection no one is ever surprised. When there's a murder, carjacking, the Police shoot someone at the intersection, drug bust, whatever crime No One Is Ever Surprised.

So, I was reading through the comments and I was amazed at the number of people who commented that any time they go to that 7-11 they carry a gun. What I found amazing is that they would go to that 7-11 at all.
I mean, if the place is so bad that you need a gun to go there when you wouldn't otherwise carry a gun GO SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!!!!

I remember reading a story on another forum about some idiot who drove his wife to Walmart at 1AM to buy (I'm not kidding) Moon Pies for their kids lunch!

He said he parked at the edge of the parking lot and let his wife go in alone so she could "get her steps in". Then he claimed to be surprised by the number of Zombies in the lot. Seriously? That's like going to McDonald's and being surprised that they sell hamburgers.

I'm not sure exactly how to say this but I try to structure my life in such a way that I avoid trouble rather than deal with it.

I mean, there are certain things that I do or more accurately that I don't do because I don't think the risk is worth the reward but I didn't want to start a discussion with just a list of "Don't do these things".

I mean, there are certain things that I don't do. I don't go to ATMs. Because a whole bunch of name trainers whose experience I respect all say it's a bad idea but that specific thing might not be a problem where you're at.

And the Walmart thing, around here that's not even an issue anymore because they close them all at 11:00 P.M. but the general idea is the same.

Last edited:
I use ATM's, but only the ones inside Kwik Trip Stores (a local convenience/gas chain in WI). I have to admit, I use those ATM's mostly because they are no-fee...although a secondary reason is they are usually full of people, and have lots of cameras. Also, I'm not normally out after 7pm...

I was reading a news story today about a 7-11 that was robbed a few days back in my town.

This particular 7-11 is at an intersection that is considered to be Ground Zero of the worst neighborhood in town. When that 7-11 is robbed no one is ever surprised. When there's a shooting at that intersection no one is ever surprised. When there's a murder, carjacking, the Police shoot someone at the intersection, drug bust, whatever crime No One Is Ever Surprised.

So, I was reading through the comments and I was amazed at the number of people who commented that any time they go to that 7-11 they carry a gun. What I found amazing is that they would go to that 7-11 at all.
I mean, if the place is so bad that you need a gun to go there when you wouldn't otherwise carry a gun GO SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!!!!

I remember reading a story on another forum about some idiot who drove his wife to Walmart at 1AM to buy (I'm not kidding) Moon Pies for their kids lunch!

He said he parked at the edge of the parking lot and let his wife go in alone so she could "get her steps in". Then he claimed to be surprised by the number of Zombies in the lot. Seriously? That's like going to McDonald's and being surprised that they sell hamburgers.

I'm not sure exactly how to say this but I try to structure my life in such a way that I avoid trouble rather than deal with it.

I mean, there are certain things that I do or more accurately that I don't do because I don't think the risk is worth the reward but I didn't want to start a discussion with just a list of "Don't do these things".

I mean, there are certain things that I don't do. I don't go to ATMs. Because a whole bunch of name trainers whose experience I respect all say it's a bad idea but that specific thing might not be a problem where you're at.

And the Walmart thing, around here that's not even an issue anymore because they close them all at 11:00 P.M. but the general idea is the same.
Pay attention to the comments of John Q Public and you should have no problem identifying the reasons for the mess. Sadly, the get the steps in reasoning might be more common than a person would expect.

Ok, I’m going to fess up. I sometimes go to a Popeyes that is on the edge of a sketchy neighborhood and just before you get there you come off the highway to a T junction that stops under the highway. It is a classic kill box. Basically, a one way street with concrete inclines either side and one in front. I’ve never seen any trouble there but it doesn’t take a genius to see the potential. Needless to say I carry when I go for my fried chicken, mashed potatoes and red beans and rice. I go there because I’m lazy and it’s closer than the Popeyes that’s in a nice neighborhood.

Ok, I’m going to fess up. I sometimes go to a Popeyes that is on the edge of a sketchy neighborhood and just before you get there you come off the highway to a T junction that stops under the highway. It is a classic kill box. Basically, a one way street with concrete inclines either side and one in front. I’ve never seen any trouble there but it doesn’t take a genius to see the potential. Needless to say I carry when I go for my fried chicken, mashed potatoes and red beans and rice. I go there because I’m lazy and it’s closer than the Popeyes that’s in a nice neighborhood.
I'll let you in on a little secret. The Popeyes in the hood has much better food than the ones in the nice, quiet, suburban areas. In fact after a decade of working all over north St. Louis I have to say the best food I have ever eaten is in the hood. They may be hood rats, but they know how to eat.

These days I seldom go anywhere I would not send my wife to on her own, which is a indicator of a safe place to visit. There is very little need to do so. That is in a large part the area I live in, which was picked years ago in anticipation of retirement and the life of a country gentleman.

And everyone knows us old geezers want to be at home and in our Lazy boy's by the time the sun sets. Except for hunting...

Last edited:
Popeye's is more likely to take you out than some Thug

I'll let you in on a little secret. The Popeyes in the hood has much better food than the ones in the nice, quiet, suburban areas. In fact after a decade of working all over north St. Louis I have to say the best food I have ever eaten is in the hood. They may be hood rats, but they know how to eat.
It’s because hood rats will get in the managers face about mediocre food and make a scene. non hood rats usually just grumble to themselves and never go back

I worked almost exclusively nights from 2003 until I retired in 2021. First in a factory and then from 2008 on as a security guard.

Even when I worked in the factory I would come home from work between 2 and 3 o clock in the morning be surprised because my neighborhood looked like the set of "The Walking Dead".

There were always random people just wandering through my neighborhood at all hours of the night. Later when I became a security guard I realized it was all over the city.

After doing security for awhile it became apparent to me that at about 10 PM the sewers open up and the vermin crawl out. I watched it happen every single night.

I have a friend who worked in the New Mexico criminal justice system first as a prosecutor and then later as a public defender for almost 30 years. Over that time he's developed a concept that he calls The Citizen's Hour.

Based on his experience with hundreds if not thousands of trials he has observed that if you're out of your home after 9 O' clock at night your chances of being involved in a homicide go way up.

I'm not saying that I'm never out of my house after 10 o clock at night. In fact, before retirement I was generally out of my house after 10 at night because that's when I worked.

Since retirement I'm not because I've seen the kind of people who are. Just following that one rule cut about 90% of the drama out of my life.

I worked almost exclusively nights from 2003 until I retired in 2021. First in a factory and then from 2008 on as a security guard.

Even when I worked in the factory I would come home from work between 2 and 3 o clock in the morning be surprised because my neighborhood looked like the set of "The Walking Dead".

There were always random people just wandering through my neighborhood at all hours of the night. Later when I became a security guard I realized it was all over the city.

After doing security for awhile it became apparent to me that at about 10 PM the sewers open up and the vermin crawl out. I watched it happen every single night.

I have a friend who worked in the New Mexico criminal justice system first as a prosecutor and then later as a public defender for almost 30 years. Over that time he's developed a concept that he calls The Citizen's Hour.

Based on his experience with hundreds if not thousands of trials he has observed that if you're out of your home after 9 O' clock at night your chances of being involved in a homicide go way up.

I'm not saying that I'm never out of my house after 10 o clock at night. In fact, before retirement I was generally out of my house after 10 at night because that's when I worked.

Since retirement I'm not because I've seen the kind of people who are. Just following that one rule cut about 90% of the drama out of my life.
Was it Saul Goodman :unsure: :rolleyes: :whistle: :censored::censored::censored::censored:

I’ve been robbed twice in the inner city selling liquor to the stores “in the bad parts of town” when I was younger. 25 yrs ago.

Been in 3 stores when they were attempted to be robbed but owners stopped thugs with use of force. ( Robbers fled)

Led me to learn to properly use a handgun and be aware of surroundings

Sometimes you had to be where you didn't want to be

My basic rules when going out.

1. Avoid the bad parts of town if possible. - see time issues below
2. Always be looking around for the people acting odd or loitering.
3. Be nice and give everyone space
4. If you can wait till daytime, then wait.

Get out of the really bad neighborhoods by 10PM. Stay out of yjr bordering really bad neighborhoods by 12AM. In the nice neighborhoods by 2AM, but you have to worry about getting pulled over by police since they don't expect nice people in that neighborhood to be out that late.

In general, I treat going out late like feeding a Mogwai.

From the DOJ:

Lots of violent crime happens earlier tham you think:
39E207AE-2ECC-4201-91BA-B1C2AC98D3D7.jpeg

Peak for adults seems to be 6-11pm

Back