testtest

Considerations for the Defensive Shotgun

This is probably the most comprehensive article on defensive shotguns that I have ever read. I've read many similar articles that always reach the conclusion that nothing short of 00 Buck from 12 gauge will do the job. These articles always seem to imply that reduced-recoil loads make 20 gauge defensive shotguns obsolete, and that any load smaller than #4 Buck will bounce off anything without feathers.

I'm a big fan of shotguns, and have accumulated several of them over the years. While I like them all, my go-to HD shotgun is still a 20 gauge Remington 870 Home-Defense model with a youth stock installed. It's lighter and more maneuverable than any of my 12 gauges, but packs more than enough power for close-range encounters. The 20 gauge may not be best option for every shooter, but it works for me.

View attachment 31135
Got that exact gun and setup for my daughter. 20 ga for defense if underrated. Can't figure out why when so many think .410 is great.

Got that exact gun and setup for my daughter. 20 ga for defense if underrated. Can't figure out why when so many think .410 is great.
I think it’s the lack of good defensive loads for the 20ga; 00 and 000 don’t work well in it; stacks weird, and doesn’t pattern well.

That being said-20ga 3 buck is gonna do just fine at HD distances, and does work well. It’s just hard as hades to find.

.410 has some drawbacks, sure…only half the pellet load as a 12ga 000, but has well under half the recoil, too. The pellets stack perfectly in the shell, though, and tend to pattern well. I think it is seriously underrated as a defensive shotgun for the recoil sensitive…

I think it’s the lack of good defensive loads for the 20ga; 00 and 000 don’t work well in it; stacks weird, and doesn’t pattern well.

That being said-20ga 3 buck is gonna do just fine at HD distances, and does work well. It’s just hard as hades to find.

.410 has some drawbacks, sure…only half the pellet load as a 12ga 000, but has well under half the recoil, too. The pellets stack perfectly in the shell, though, and tend to pattern well. I think it is seriously underrated as a defensive shotgun for the recoil sensitive…
I have to admit I know right about nothing when it comes to patterning 20 gauge shotguns. I just never shot them much. My first shotgun when I was 9 was a break action single in 20, but by the time I was 11 I had a 12 gauge double. And every shotgun I have bought ( for myself) since has been a 12. I inherited a 20 gauge Ithaca 37 from my grandfather, but I don't shoot it.

I have to admit I know right about nothing when it comes to patterning 20 gauge shotguns. I just never shot them much. My first shotgun when I was 9 was a break action single in 20, but by the time I was 11 I had a 12 gauge double. And every shotgun I have bought ( for myself) since has been a 12. I inherited a 20 gauge Ithaca 37 from my grandfather, but I don't shoot it.
I’ve got a 20ga Coast to Coast (I think it’s an H&R?) pump, but I rarely shoot it.

I have some friends who use 20ga for defense, though. My favorite is my buddy who has a Saiga 20ga…truly a red-headed stepchild of that series. He somehow found 10rd mags for it, but they were exorbitant (and this is coming from someone who has paid close to $200 for a 20rd mag for his HK270).

I’ve got a 20ga Coast to Coast (I think it’s an H&R?) pump, but I rarely shoot it.

I have some friends who use 20ga for defense, though. My favorite is my buddy who has a Saiga 20ga…truly a red-headed stepchild of that series. He somehow found 10rd mags for it, but they were exorbitant (and this is coming from someone who has paid close to $200 for a 20rd mag for his HK270).
Incidentally, I saw an ad come across my email this morning for a Panzer M4. I think it was 4 and some change.

Final version of this particular 500. At least until I have it drilled and tapped for a rail and put a red dot on it.

Streamlight something or other.

yZxIWqK.jpg

f0Jw4dr.jpg

Vm0N6bp.jpg

Back