testtest

Need A New Coffee Maker

LOL, my wife bought a Keurig a year or 2 go. Still works...got some issues for a $200 coffee maker, but it makes coffee. I had no say-so in its purchase, I would never spend that kind of money on a coffee maker.

It's the big bastard with a 12-cup drip pot on the left, single K-cup maker on the right side.

Uses a water vessel in the back that never completely empties...those get moldy quite fast unless you empty out the vessel after each use (not big green mold, but very small films of mold spores that you find in a dog's dish after a couple days). After brewing a pot (1 every morning for me alone), I empty the vessel to keep the film from growing. Controls are not intuitive. After more than a year I still can't remember how to reset the "descale" warning message that automatically comes on after a month or so.

Last edited:
My wife bought a one cup travel kuerig for us to take when traveling. Since Covid a lot of rooms do not have coffee makers. She uses it now at home also since our mr coffee died. I am not a big hot drink guy, except when I hunt in winter then a nice thermos of coffee us most welcome.

LOL, my wife bought a Keurig a year or 2 go. Still works...got some issues for a $200 coffee maker, but it makes coffee. I had no say-so in its purchase, I would never spend that kind of money on a coffee maker.
Well my lady is ok with purchasing this next coffeemaker however unless Keurig has improved their brewing a quality cup of coffee I will say no to that at all cost. I prefer my coffee strong and those little pods just don’t do it for me.

Keurigs are certainly convenient, but they don't make the best coffee. My preference is my 30 year-old GE percolator. They are still available, and highly recommended.

Also, if you go the Keurig route, make sure to use a dark roasted variety of coffee, such as Folgers' Black Silk or Green Mountain's Dark Magic.

Well my lady is ok with purchasing this next coffeemaker however unless Keurig has improved their brewing a quality cup of coffee I will say no to that at all cost. I prefer my coffee strong and those little pods just don’t do it for me.
Not a good judge of coffee quality lol. If it's 10 degrees while sitting on deer blind I am good with it so weak is probably better than strong. My wife likes it, but she goes for all different flavorings in her coffee too.

This is what I use to brew my own coffee in my Keurig.
Mine is old, but link below shows the newer one.

thumbnail 2.jpg

Last edited:
Dont buy a new contraption just to go bad in a few years. Get a nice kettle and well built french press. They will last the rest of your life. Takes minimal effort and will produce a way better cup.
The Keurig is ok for many folks. I am not one of them . I like my coffee black and thick enough to chew.
I use the French press far more than the cuisinart or keurig.

I heat water in a kettle on the stove and use instant coffee. Because I am diabetic I only drink one cup. Even with no carbs or sugar there is a chemical in coffee that causes glucose to rise. Doesn't matter if I drink it black or whether it's decaf or not. It is what it is! I also own an old Mr Coffee, but I seldom use it unless I go on a binge. But usually if I do go on a binge I'm not drinking coffee! :)

Dont buy a new contraption just to go bad in a few years. Get a nice kettle and well built french press. They will last the rest of your life. Takes minimal effort and will produce a way better cup.
Take it from a coffee junkie. Tried everything available. I agree with Double Agent. French Press is the ultimate solution. Grind your own beans, once you go there you will NEVER to back. You can thank me later.

We’ve had a Coffee Ninja for about 7 years now. Not without its problems but all in all it’s been a solid unit.

I drink one cup in the morning but I can go without. Yes a French press makes better coffee, but I don’t care that much about coffee. The wife would disagree.

Over the last several years We have had a few of the Keurig K cup brewers and over all I'm pretty happy. With just me and my wife at home and she is not a coffee drinking The K cups have been a good option. As a rule I only drink 2-3 cups per day which keeps me from pouring the remainder of the pot down the sink.
As for strong coffee, I have found several brands that fit the bill for me. Only you can judge if any might work for you. Oh on the side of cost.... on average each cup runs me about .43 cents.

Been looking to to replace my drip maker, not easy task. What’s the deal with these automatic, electronic, programmable coffee makers costing +$200? Does everything have to be dependent on a freakin’ microchip?

Tried that Keurig single pod but wanted impressed, too weak and not enough. I require a 16oz morning intake. I’m very particular about the blend too. Tried all the brands patriot brands, seem too acidic and now I’m fixed with Illy Instenso fine ground coffee which has been consistent in flavor.

Been using a Krups espresso/drip maker circa 1990, but broke 2 glass pots and are no longer available, so using a small insulated Thermos under the basket.
The key to small single of good cup o’joe with a drip style is achieved by experiment, for me turns out 4tbsp to 15oz of water works for the drip-style. The “pour over” method is good too, also it’s brews thru on the strong side. Have yet to try the french press method.
For beans…the finer the grind, the better the flavor. Another step I avoid, when I want coffee I want it now.
Sit down restaurant coffee seems to be getting weaker these days, Dunkin’ and McD’s to go usually are good - IF it hasn’t been sitting.
Sometimes, like with CCW, the best coffee is the one you have in front of you.

CA939DC4-C0E5-4259-8F13-1F4288E89905.jpeg

Many years ago always I had Mr Coffee brew my daily 2 mugs before I wake so it's ready for me to stumble that way when I get up. The last 7 years I have a Cuisinart k-cup machine my daughter left here that is on and heated up waiting for me to push the button when I get up.
Folger's Black Silk k-cups seem to be good enough. I also mix in some Black Rifle coffee k-cups from my LGS (thats my weekly excuss for going to my LGS, LOL).

Mostly I'm just not awake enough yet to know the difference yet nor do I think I would I be functional enough to operate any kind of press ... before my morning 2 mugs. 😵

P.S. sometimes at my LGS some pretty nice things get added to my coffee order ☺️

The wife and I discovered the "Toddy" cold brew method many years ago and never looked back. It's system of cold brewing a pound of coffee (your choice) then storing that concentrate in the fridge till you want a fresh cup of java ..... then just pour your preferred amount of concentrate into a cup/mug and add hot water or add any water and nuke it. No matter your preference of how weak or strong, the Toddy concentrate will work for you. And so simple, even the wife can make it! ;)

The concentrate will keep for several days in the fridge and will be as fresh on day 4-5 as it is on day 1. The best way I can describe it is the freshness of fresh brewed coffee with the convenience of instant.

I've been a big coffee drinker since my stint in the Navy (50 years ago I was discharged with a permanent crook in my first finger) and typically drink 8-10+ cups per day. I hate any kind of flavored coffee and will only drink it stone black, hot, and strong.

I'm including a link that will tell you all about it if it sounds interesting to any of you ..... I promise if you give it a fair try, you'll never go back to "Mr Coffee", "Kurig", or even the old tried n true percolator. Give it a shot, see for yourself!

Back