testtest

Negligent Discharge

Have you had an ND/AD

• Yes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Not Yet

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
That's why Sheriff Taylor only gave him one bullet. I'm surprised he didn't take the gun away after the first or second occurrence. 🤦‍♂️💁‍♂️🔫👮‍♂️
1583788819689.jpeg

BET7.......🤔🤔🤔🤔....wonder if that’s a nickname for “Barney Fife”

View attachment 3053
BET7.......🤔🤔🤔🤔....wonder if that’s a nickname for “Barney Fife”
Nope, never worked in a Sheriff's office like you professed. :rolleyes:;).
On a serious note Annihilator, what did you do while you worked with the Sheriff's Office? Were you a deputy? Dispatcher? Prisoner 🚷🃏(sorry, I just had to). But I am seriously interested on what you did for a living.

The closest thing I’ve experienced to a negligent discharge was me emptying a magazine in a .380 Bodyguard, supposedly. The slide was locked back, but somehow there was another round in the chamber. I pointed down range and pulled the trigger. Surprised us. To this day I cannot figure out exactly what happened, but there were severe metal shavings from the slide friction. It was out of my house the next day. Traded it on a 642 j-frame and couldn’t be happier.

The lesson I learned: it can work exactly like you think it’s supposed to, but actually be malfunctioning. Check there’s nothing in the chamber even when the slide locks back.

Nope, never worked in a Sheriff's office like you professed. :rolleyes:;).
On a serious note Annihilator, what did you do while you worked with the Sheriff's Office? Were you a deputy? Dispatcher? Prisoner 🚷🃏(sorry, I just had to). But I am seriously interested on what you did for a living.
I was the worst person there, ran the maintenance dept, I did go out and shoot when they had to qualify, and went out with the S.O.B. team when they were out practicing, learned a lot. I charged inmates and staff with any damages.....no breaks....

I was the worst person there, ran the maintenance dept, I did go out and shoot when they had to qualify, and went out with the S.O.B. team when they were out practicing, learned a lot. I charged inmates and staff with any damages.....no breaks....
Was it mandatory for you to shoot as they qualified (you were someone at the station that was also qualified if SHTF)? Or did they let you tag along because you just liked to shoot?

A few friends told me that local cops are some of the biggest offenders of this "practice", when they train at the range.

I think that one of the biggest misconceptions of citizenry who have little knowledge of firearms and shooting is the assumption that police and military all "know guns and shooting better than the average person."

In-reality, while there are definitely those in those fields whose firearms, marksmanship, and even gunfighting skills are truly exemplary, there are unfortunately many more for whom this is far from the case.

In-reality, it's just like any other job: there's a few who do it exceptionally well in a sea of varying levels of adequacy...with an unfortunate smattering of floaters who are truly inept and incompetent.

-----

Well 3 stories here from when I worked at my local Sheriff Dept. First, deputy was checking in a .22 long rifle in the evidence room, racked the bolt and pulled the trigger, shot hole in ceiling and roof, I had to get a company out to repair the rubber roof, second, deputy was in locker room, took off his duty belt, his S&W pistol started falling out of holster, he grabbed it, it went off shooting a hole in a storage door, third, several Deputies were in the Sgt’s room, and one Deputy was showing the others his new 1911, one of them took safety off and pulled trigger, shot a .45 caliber hole in a desk, so, yes, it does happen.

^ That's a great post, Annihilator - I'm super glad you brought it up!

For those who are newer to the sport/hobby and happen to be reading through this thread, just like with a knife, do -NOT- try to catch a falling firearm.

A safe-functioning firearm should not discharge when it falls - even for considerable distances.

However, the chances that you will introduce a finger into the trigger guard or otherwise snag the trigger as the firearm gyrates to the ground from where it fell is significant.

Just back away, and let the gun fall. Once it has contacted the ground or comes to rest safely on another object onto which it has fallen, SAFELY pick up the weapon.

As good firearms instructors will say, they won't kick you out of class for dropping a gun: they understand that things happen, particularly in dynamic classes where holster-work is abundant. However, you'll get a stern lecture and may need to sit out a few drills/evolutions to cool off in "time-out," if you try to catch that gun as its falling. :)

I think that one of the biggest misconceptions of citizenry who have little knowledge of firearms and shooting is the assumption that police and military all "know guns and shooting better than the average person."

In-reality, while there are definitely those in those fields whose firearms, marksmanship, and even gunfighting skills are truly exemplary, there are unfortunately many more for whom this is far from the case.

In-reality, it's just like any other job: there's a few who do it exceptionally well in a sea of varying levels of adequacy...with an unfortunate smattering of floaters who are truly inept and incompetent.

-----

For those who are newer to the sport/hobby and happen to be reading through this thread, just like with a knife, do -NOT- try to catch a falling firearm.

A safe-functioning firearm should not discharge when it falls - even for considerable distances.

However, the chances that you will introduce a finger into the trigger guard or otherwise snag the trigger as the firearm gyrates to the ground from where it fell is significant.

Just back away, and let the gun fall. Once it has contacted the ground or comes to rest safely on another object onto which it has fallen, SAFELY pick up the weapon.

As good firearms instructors will say, they won't kick you out of class for dropping a gun: they understand that things happen, particularly in dynamic classes where holster-work is abundant. However, you'll get a stern lecture and may need to sit out a few drills/evolutions to cool off in "time-out," if you try to catch that gun as its falling. :)
This was fantastically illustrated by the "dancing, back flipping" FBI agent and his gun, which he tried to catch as it was falling from him as he danced widely around. 🕺

-----

This same logic holds true with a blade. I learned that lesson as a teenager trying to grab a sickle (like the Soviet flag kind) that I dropped and almost took my thumb tip completely off.

Back