testtest

Negligent Discharge

Have you had an ND/AD

• Yes

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Not Yet

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
I am so scarred by other family members NDs, that I NEVER pull the trigger unless I am at the range (live-fire or dry-fire). Both NDs mentioned were a result of attempts to clear the weapon and then pulling the trigger to verify the status.
I never dry fire any of my guns, yes the XDM requires a trigger pull to release the slide for cleaning but my process is to unload the weapon and ensure multiple times there are no rounds in the gun then move the ammunition to another room before I start disassembly, only once did I rack the slide to eject the chambered round before dropping the mag and chambered another round, my process of multiple checks caught my error.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BEING TO CARFUL WITH FIREARMS.

When I clear a pistol , I drop the magazine , lock back the slide weather a shell pops out or not , and I look first and then poke my little pinky finger into the chamber also to make absolutely certain that there is nothing in that chamber but my pinky and maybe a little crud.

I don't have a lot of guns anymore but all of my handguns are loaded except one. That 1 is a Ruger 3 screw Single-six and even though I know it is unloaded , I still go to half cock , open the loading gate , and rotate through all six holes in the cyl. anytime I pick it up.

As Keystone stated , there is no such thing as being to careful with firearms.

a result of attempts to clear the weapon and then pulling the trigger to verify the status.

I'm sorry, but....WHAT??????

The ONLY reason to EVER pull a trigger, is to fire the weapon. NEVER, EVER, EVER pull a trigger to "verify" the gun is empty!!!! (Hint: as soon as you pull that trigger...that gun will now be empty).

There is one exception to the trigger pull rule - a requirement to release the slide for cleaning. And, that should be step four of that particular process - 1. drop the mag, and put it on a table in plain view while you take steps 2, 3, and 4. 2. rack the slide and eject anything that might be in the chamber. Place that round next to the mag, also in plain view. 3. lock the slide back to visually (with your EYES, not the TRIGGER) verify an empty chamber (use a finger if you don't trust your eyes), and 4. release the slide, and pull the trigger to detach the slide for disassembly.

And regardless of when you're pulling the trigger, or what condition you "think" the gun is in, follow The Rule: DON'T EVER POINT A GUN AT SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DESTROY.

To those pulling guns out of safes and nearly dry-firing them with rounds in the chamber? There's the Other Rule: TREAT EVERY GUN AS IT IF IS LOADED UNTIL YOU PERSONALLY VERIFY OTHERWISE. Step one when you pick up a gun (any gun)? Verify chamber status. Unless YOU were the one who put it there, and you KNOW FOR A FACT that nobody has touched it since (i.e. you're the only one with the safe combo, or it's been in your holster on your body the whole time), it is up to YOU to verify the chamber status. Not your buddy who says he checked. Not the Range Officer. YOU. Period. Just assume it's loaded, until you prove it to yourself. (again - VISUALLY, not by using the trigger).

The ONLY reason to EVER pull a trigger, is to fire the weapon. NEVER, EVER, EVER pull a trigger to "verify" the gun is empty!!!! (Hint: as soon as you pull that trigger...that gun will now be empty).

There is one exception to the trigger pull rule - a requirement to release the slide for cleaning. And, that should be step four of that particular process - 1. drop the mag, and put it on a table in plain view while you take steps 2, 3, and 4. 2. rack the slide and eject anything that might be in the chamber. Place that round next to the mag, also in plain view. 3. lock the slide back to visually (with your EYES, not the TRIGGER) verify an empty chamber (use a finger if you don't trust your eyes), and 4. release the slide, and pull the trigger to detach the slide for disassembly.

And regardless of when you're pulling the trigger, or what condition you "think" the gun is in, follow The Rule: DON'T EVER POINT A GUN AT SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DESTROY.

To those pulling guns out of safes and nearly dry-firing them with rounds in the chamber? There's the Other Rule: TREAT EVERY GUN AS IT IF IS LOADED UNTIL YOU PERSONALLY VERIFY OTHERWISE. Step one when you pick up a gun (any gun)? Verify chamber status. Unless YOU were the one who put it there, and you KNOW FOR A FACT that nobody has touched it since (i.e. you're the only one with the safe combo, or it's been in your holster on your body the whole time), it is up to YOU to verify the chamber status. Not your buddy who says he checked. Not the Range Officer. YOU. Period. Just assume it's loaded, until you prove it to yourself. (again - VISUALLY, not by using the trigger).

That can be a carryover from competition.

There are a couple of the gun games (IDPA is one, iirc) that at the end of each stage you must “show clear” by dropping the magazine, then clearing the chamber, then point down range and dry fire.

Joe, I agree. But for some reason, that was their process and I've since convinced them to avoid this unnecessary step. My XD-M doesn't require me to pull the trigger to disassemble, quick I'm grateful for.

I still cringe each time I see Hickock45 clear his weapons by pulling the trigger.

That can be a carryover from competition.

There are a couple of the gun games (IDPA is one, iirc) that at the end of each stage you must “show clear” by dropping the magazine, then clearing the chamber, then point down range and dry fire.
I always wondered where this came from.

Joe, I agree. But for some reason, that was their process and I've since convinced them to avoid this unnecessary step. My XD-M doesn't require me to pull the trigger to disassemble, quick I'm grateful for.

I still cringe each time I see Hickock45 clear his weapons by pulling the trigger.

If you notice when he does that he has that firearm pointed down range where it can't hurt anyone should there be ammo in the chamber. He has also cleared that firearm before he turns it down range and pulls that trigger. No reason the cringe when it is done correctly.

Also I object to this poll. The options are yes and not yet. That is assuming it will happen to everyone eventually. Which is frankly BS. It's like that dumbass that put his hand over the mortar tube in that other thread. There are just some things that should absolutely, positively never be taken for granted. It's not hard not to have a negligent discharge. In fact it's quite simple. Never put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot or know FOR A FACT the gun, including the chamber is empty. Period. It's not like you have to remember a bunch of ****. Just remember YOUR FINGER.
Well, if you read my post on this subject, it had nothing to do with being stupid or anything, it was a weapon malfunction, which in reality I had no ideal it was going to happen, so accidental/negligent discharges do happen.

If you notice when he does that he has that firearm pointed down range where it can't hurt anyone should there be ammo in the chamber. He has also cleared that firearm before he turns it down range and pulls that trigger. No reason the cringe when it is done correctly.
Yeah, but It's like everytime I see it I expect to hear a discharge.

No, it wasn’t, but stuff still happens, like you said, keep your finger off the trigger, but how many actually do this, I know when I am at my range and I see others racking the slide and there finger on the trigger, I stay clear.

Last edited:
No, it wasn’t, but stuff still happens, like you said, keep your finger off the trigger, but how many actually do this, I know when I am at my range and I see others racking the slide and there finger on the trigger, I stay clear.

I have to admit this is one of the things that has kept me from "Public" ranges for a very long time. For years (and much to my wife's chagrin) I set up targets, small courses and drills in my back yard rather than go to a range. Recently my wife, bless her heart, found me a gun club 8 miles from my house where I am nearly always completely by myself. I have taken to transporting a bunch of my crap and setting it up on one of the (rarely used) trap house ranges so I can still do the kind of stuff you can't do on typical public ranges.

Anyway, I very much dislike being on a firing line with guys I don't already know and trust.

I snap my triggers on my firearms. Once I drop the mags I will hold the pistol upright, if for some crazy reason there is a round chambered and rack the slide several times. I will then point the pistol in a safe direction and fire then insert the magazine and store it in the safe.

I snap my triggers on my firearms. Once I drop the mags I will hold the pistol upright, if for some crazy reason there is a round chambered and rack the slide several times. I will then point the pistol in a safe direction and fire then insert the magazine and store it in the safe.
This is what I do too.

Back