testtest

Springfield Armory 1911DS Prodigy FF issues

Has any one got their Prodigy back from Springfield Armory repair facility and did they correct the failure to feed issue? Even the range guns owned by my dealer have been returned and the feeding issues were not corrected. Am I stuck with a $1500 chuck of steel or has anyone received back a fully functional Prodigy? Just asking.

Has any one got their Prodigy back from Springfield Armory repair facility and did they correct the failure to feed issue? Even the range guns owned by my dealer have been returned and the feeding issues were not corrected. Am I stuck with a $1500 chuck of steel or has anyone received back a fully functional Prodigy? Just asking.
Yes!

I had mine come back recently and they solved everything.
I did just figure out this weekend that my mags at least, are having binding issues and were likely causing my failures to feed.

The original mags that came with the gun get stuck at times and don't feed right, but the other mags I purchased separately feed without any issues. I took them apart and found the original mags had shorter springs, so I ordered new springs and they should get here soon.

7 business days to SA and back. They even gave it a nice tune up in addition to fixing my issues.

Have you sent your Prodigy off to Springfield yet? I believe there are several folks on this forum who sent their Prodigy in and got them back in working order, but there are also a couple who continue to have issues. What’s happening with yours?

Have you sent your Prodigy off to Springfield yet? I believe there are several folks on this forum who sent their Prodigy in and got them back in working order, but there are also a couple who continue to have issues. What’s happening with yours?
Dealer had no confidence since they range guns came back from SA and still would not feed correctl, they armorer was going to look at my gun. Two weeks later I heard my dealer sent my Prodigy back to SA. I already cleaned and lubed the weapon. Bought two STI magazines and they had no effect on the failure to feed issues. I was using MAGTECH, Winchester and Fiocchi brass full metal jacket 115 grain ammo. All failures to feed were the round going about half way into the barrel. I ran probably about 700 rounds. Clean and lubed would run fine but after probably 50 rounds in you couldn’t run a mag without a couple failures to feed. I can on running gun in competition with some modifications but gun must be dependable first.

Dealer had no confidence since they range guns came back from SA and still would not feed correctl, they armorer was going to look at my gun. Two weeks later I heard my dealer sent my Prodigy back to SA. I already cleaned and lubed the weapon. Bought two STI magazines and they had no effect on the failure to feed issues. I was using MAGTECH, Winchester and Fiocchi brass full metal jacket 115 grain ammo. All failures to feed were the round going about half way into the barrel. I ran probably about 700 rounds. Clean and lubed would run fine but after probably 50 rounds in you couldn’t run a mag without a couple failures to feed. I can on running gun in competition with some modifications but gun must be dependable first.
Please forgive my grammatical mistakes

Please forgive my grammatical mistakes
Did you try changing the recoil spring? The Prodigy has a 9lb stock spring and a lot of people have changed to a 12lb spring. I had a handful of rounds nosedive into the feed ramp, like you mentioned, the first time I took it to the range, but that sorted itself out. I changed the recoil spring just to see if it made a difference. I now have 1500 trouble free rounds through my Prodigy. There are certain JHPs it doesn’t like, but that is a pretty common problem with 1911s.

I have a Wilson combat 12.5 lbs recoil spring on my work bench, I wanted SA to have the chance to fix the gun without altering the gun. I know for a couple hundred bucks a good 2011 gunsmith could fix the issues but SA should have to deliver a full functioning pistol. I do have that 12.5 lbs spring ready. Thanks for the input. It is truly appreciated on this end, Simon.

Different mags solve the issue. Staccato, Checkmate or MBX mags and no more Stove pipes. Failure to feed is corrected with a ramp polish. also run 200-300 rounds before you decide somethings wrong with it.

Got my Prodigy back from the SA gunsmiths and it is running great. Probably a thousand rounds thru it no problems. Very happy with the SA service department.
Glad to hear. Sounds like you have the 5 inch Prodigy, I opted for the 4.25. Jam o magic for me… thought about going the self fix route, but for the price… I let SA handle it… and they did, perfectly. I couldn’t even get through 2-3 rounds in any of my 5 mags. After 2 weeks, a new sear spring, feed ramp polish, ream and polish of chamber, extractor tweak…it’s a great shooting pistol.
Lots of ”opinions” out there how to fix it. You did right by letting the manufacturer service department fix it.

Wish they would get it right when new in the box. I hate to send a new gun back to have work performed to make it run right.

Wish they would get it right when new in the box. I hate to send a new gun back to have work performed to make it run right.
I agree with you on this and I think the Prodigy was too important a gun for SA to take the chance with, but this seems to be a strategy we see more and more. And in the case of the Prodigy - unlike the SA-35 - there were tens of thousand of them on the market from the moment they went on sale. I picked mine up the weekend they went on sale and the serial number was 09XXX.

Funny I posted the same question. Mine is at SA now waiting to get it back to see. Some good replies so I’m hopeful is smooth as butter. I’ll post when back and have some range time. 🤞

I agree with you on this and I think the Prodigy was too important a gun for SA to take the chance with, but this seems to be a strategy we see more and more. And in the case of the Prodigy - unlike the SA-35 - there were tens of thousand of them on the market from the moment they went on sale. I picked mine up the weekend they went on sale and the serial number was 09XXX.
Mine was In ser# 1400’s and boy what a jamming machine it’s at SA now. 🤞

Glad to hear. Sounds like you have the 5 inch Prodigy, I opted for the 4.25. Jam o magic for me… thought about going the self fix route, but for the price… I let SA handle it… and they did, perfectly. I couldn’t even get through 2-3 rounds in any of my 5 mags. After 2 weeks, a new sear spring, feed ramp polish, ream and polish of chamber, extractor tweak…it’s a great shooting pistol.
Lots of ”opinions” out there how to fix it. You did right by letting the manufacturer service department fix it.
It’s both, 5” and 4.5”. O dear!

I just bought one 3 days ago. 200 rounds in and no issues so far with 3-4 different types of 115gr ammo. Hope you get yours sorted out. SA is usually good about that. I'm glad to not have the same issues, but I also waited quite awhile before I took the plunge.

Hope this fixes mine too. I get mine back Thursday and am excited to shoot it. Nervous to.
You’ll be good. I saw the repair order you posted up before taking it down (no doubt due to personal info on there, good call..)
Mine got the same treatment plus a sear spring.
Once I got north of 500 rounds, it really smoothed out the action.
Action may feel a little gritty until the Cerakote wears off/wears in a bit.
I’ll also add this…. between 500 and 1000 rounds PER MAGAZINE, clean ‘em.
I had one of my 3 20 rounders start to hang up. Disassembled, ran a cleaning brush and solvent through it, wiped it all down, no issues since. Don’t forget to clean the mags.

Hope this fixes mine too. I get mine back Thursday and am excited to shoot it. Nervous to.
Well got my prodigy back from Springfield and to the range and 300 rounds later, it shoot flawlessly! So cool not to have a failure. The prodigy is well worth every penny spent now! Thank you customer service and whoever did the work. 😁
My advice is to anyone having a ftf or fte just let Springfield fix it. Save money.

Back