testtest

CRKT Provoke Review: Karambit with a Twist

Bassbob,

I thought the price point was reasonable considering the features and choice of materials. I remember when a hundred Washingtons would get you an Emerson or other “high-end” folder. Thanks for dropping a comment, sincerely.

Randall

Pretty cool looking Karambit. The price looks good to me for a very concealable Karambit.

CRKT puts out a great product! My favorite carry knife is a Jim Hammond designed CRKT Mirage that I've had since the 90's.

I have trained in Filipino and Indonesian martial arts with a heavy emphasis on blade work including with the Karambit for quite a few years.

Thanks, 10mikemike. I wish I had your training background. Agreed on CRKT products. They have assembled an impressive list of knife makers as their designers. As a result, CRKT’s lineup has been very creative. Springfield Armory chose some good knives and tools with which to collaborate.

Randall

I just have a thing for knives in the $100 range. I may have one or two "High end" knives around, which I almost never carry, but I have about 35 that I paid between $50 and $125 for. I carry and use those. Bokers, Cobratech, etc.. If I lose them or break them I don't get too upset. It's like guitars. I have a pile of expensive, beautiful guitars and basses. While I do play those and gig with them, they are all safe in their cases right now while my semi favorite "Beater" is a $300 Chinese Ibanez AE10 that I set up with electric guitar strings that plays smooth as butter and is leaning against a wall in my living room right now. If I had this knife ( or any Karambit) I would definitely want to carry it.

I'm not saying the price isn't fair, I'm just saying I would feel much better carrying it around and abusing it daily if it weren't a $200 knife. :)

I feel ya, Bassbob. I have a few safe queens in my collection. While there are more expensive versions of the Provoke, Springfield Armory’s version clocks in at $99.99. I’m not above abusing it at that cost!
Well, now you are speaking my language brother. I Googled CRKT Provoke and the Amazon link that popped up ( Usually the cheapest) was about $170. I too am not above abusing it at that cost ( $99) and I think I'm gonna have to get my hands on one.

Had one for a year: just meh...

For what it's worth - I add karambit to my standard hand combat training on consistent basis and have reasonable amount of experience. My opinion is there are far more practical krambits out there, especially in the given price point. Mine developed binding after a while (wouldn't close/open) and it's very difficult to set the tension just right after taking the knife apart and servicing it. My biggest grip is the closing mechanism that requires two hand operation - the little lever is just too small to practically work single-handedly. So, while the design, fit, and finish are really good, it just feels gimmicky next to other quality karambits. It's OK for EDC due to folding design but for more serious loadout I'm sticking with a fixed blade/holster combo.

Had one for a year: just meh...

For what it's worth - I add karambit to my standard hand combat training on consistent basis and have reasonable amount of experience. My opinion is there are far more practical krambits out there, especially in the given price point. Mine developed binding after a while (wouldn't close/open) and it's very difficult to set the tension just right after taking the knife apart and servicing it. My biggest grip is the closing mechanism that requires two hand operation - the little lever is just too small to practically work single-handedly. So, while the design, fit, and finish are really good, it just feels gimmicky next to other quality karambits. It's OK for EDC due to folding design but for more serious loadout I'm sticking with a fixed blade/holster combo.
DoNot, thanks for your insight.

Pretty cool looking Karambit. The price looks good to me for a very concealable Karambit.

CRKT puts out a great product! My favorite carry knife is a Jim Hammond designed CRKT Mirage that I've had since the 90's.

I have trained in Filipino and Indonesian martial arts with a heavy emphasis on blade work including with the Karambit for quite a few years.
Yes sir, Karambits are used a lot in Kuntao, Silat, and Escrima...:) I've trained in those martial arts since the late 1980s...:) I used to train with butterfly knives a lot but I like Karambits better.

Back