testtest

Do You Avoid Places Where You Are Not Permitted To Carry A Firearm?

Do You Avoid Places Where You Are Not Permitted To Carry A Gun

• 1. Yes

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • 2. No

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 3. Whether I can carry isn't a deciding factor

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
This question came up on another forum. I think the poster worded it a little awkwardly. I'm going to attempt to clarify as much as possible.

1. Regardless whether such signs have the force of law in your area, do you avoid private businesses that are posted "No Firearms"?

2. Do you avoid businesses and/or government offices in which it would be illegal for you to carry a firearm?

2a. If you are a law enforcement officer or covered under LEOSA, would you avoid such establishments if you weren't under that protection?

The last question he asked was a little odd.

Would you refrain from taking an international vacation or a cruise primarily based on the fact that you wouldn't be able to carry a firearm?

I'm going to give my answers later in the discussion but I will say I wouldn't go out of the United States or on a Cruise if they let me take a tank with me. God forbid you get on that boat and another outbreak occurs and then you're stuck and you can't get off the boat.

But that's me.
So a cruise up the Nile is out the?

I’ve done that twice and it was very pleasant. The boats are not like your ocean going cruise ships and only take about 150 passengers. Funny story though, the first time I went I was living in London and working for Reuters, the news service. I would create those little illustrations and graphics that you see in the corner of the page on how many people have summited Everest without oxygen, or how the Hawker Hurricane shot down more German planes than the Spitfire in the Battle of Britain. Anyway, about two weeks before I am set to embark the editor hands me a graphic to do illustrating how many tourists have died from random shots being taken at Nile tour boats from the shore! It was an alarming amount and every time I was on the deck I was scanning the river’s edge for snipers. I didn’t get shot, but by the time the cruise was finished I’m fairly sure I was robbed because I didn’t have a penny to my name. Egypt may be a Muslim country but they sure know how to pour the alcohol!

So a cruise up the Nile is out the?

I’ve done that twice and it was very pleasant. The boats are not like your ocean going cruise ships and only take about 150 passengers. Funny story though, the first time I went I was living in London and working for Reuters, the news service. I would create those little illustrations and graphics that you see in the corner of the page on how many people have summited Everest without oxygen, or how the Hawker Hurricane shot down more German planes than the Spitfire in the Battle of Britain. Anyway, about two weeks before I am set to embark the editor hands me a graphic to do illustrating how many tourists have died from random shots being taken at Nile tour boats from the shore! It was an alarming amount and every time I was on the deck I was scanning the river’s edge for snipers. I didn’t get shot, but by the time the cruise was finished I’m fairly sure I was robbed because I didn’t have a penny to my name. Egypt may be a Muslim country but they sure know how to pour the alcohol!
So did you wake up in Cairo married to a belly dancer with 4 kids and a camel?

I'm under the impression that if a business posts a sign not allowing legal carry, then they by default, allow those intent on destruction to enter. Since it's my responsibility to avoid a dangerous situation, I move on to another business that appreciates my legality to carry and hopefully is pro 2A.

Been into this area before on this forum and I am guessing this will quickly devolve into a "discussion" about carrying even where it is posted against said signs. There is a large chasm between those who believe that it is the right if the business owner to say if weapons are allowed and those who believe thier 2nd right override the owners rights. I happen to believe the owner has the right to control it. My last words here on the subject.

That said, would i visit posted establishments? I have, and likely will in the future, UNARMED. If I can avoid doing so, I will and do, however that's not always possible.

So the honest and short answer is yes.
Sums up my views quite nicely.

Sums up my views quite nicely.
I can see that argument. I gotta say I'm not leaving my gun in my truck to run into some store though. Luckily this isn't a problem for me. I can't remember the last time I saw a sign that said "No firearms". A couple local stores I rarely go to anyway have signs that say no open carrying ( Walmart and Schnucks), but that isn't a problem for me since I don't open carry.

I live in New York State. Most places are not gun friendly. I enjoy Broadway shows and I am not permitted to enter with a firearm. I just leave it home. It is not a deciding factor for me. I would never be able to do anything I enjoy. The photo is from Times Square.

Attachments

• 5A48FAD4-F608-4268-8773-5F54333325E6.jpeg
    5A48FAD4-F608-4268-8773-5F54333325E6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
here, i leave my sidearm in the car if i have to go into any doctor's office, just out of respect to the doctors, even though, believe it or not, at least 2 of my doctors are gun owners!

of course, all federal/state and city office buildings are no gun zones and do have metal detectors, as well as a police presence, so the gun stays home.

i carry just about every place else, including all stores i frequent, and i don't play the game of, "i don't care, i carry no matter what, i don't have to go there",.. BS.

i carry concealed and keep it covered

to each his own in this respect/regard.

I respect the right of the property owner to have a "gun-free" business. That said, I give preference to those establishments which allow concealed carry, and that is mostly for the convenience factor. It's a bit of a hassle to stow the firearm in the locked box cabled under the seat before entering a building, but it is too big of a risk simply stowing the firearm in the center console. So, if all else is equal, I give my business to gun-friendly establishments.

Typically I don't avoid them. My town has very few places that have the sign, so it's not hard.
THe places that do, I go soemtimes, but ignore them

I am covered under LEOSA...so I go to NY (neighboring state)
I would still go on a rare occasion (but not nearly as often) if I couldn't carry there

I don't carry 24/7 so I have no problem going to areas where carrying a firearm is illegal or unwanted. I enjoy going to sports venues, I enjoy going on cruises, as a matter of fact I have three cruises booked for 2023. I enjoy not feeling so paranoid and venerable that I feel I have to carry everywhere. I do carry, especially when I go to Walmart, but for the most part I don't feel the need to carry every time I'm outside my h

I live in New York State. Most places are not gun friendly. I enjoy Broadway shows and I am not permitted to enter with a firearm. I just leave it home. It is not a deciding factor for me. I would never be able to do anything I enjoy. The photo is from Times Square.
Semper Fi...:)
Many years ago I went on a long motorcycle trip from Dallas to Kentucky(I'm adopoted and wanted to visit the hospital where I was born.) and on to Pennsylvania and New York(I wanted to see Niagra Falls without going into Canada.).

Back then I carried a Browning Hi Power and I had a special storage place on the fairing of my Honda Goldwing that allowed me to conceal it but also access it.

I have always carried a firearm when I took motorcycle trips across parts of the US. I've never gotten pulled over outside of Texas.

After I visited some friends in Hermitage Pennsylvania(where they used to have a flag for each day the hostages were in Iran.) I headed up to Erie and then over to Buffalo and then up to Rochester. I only spent a little over an hour looking at Niagra Falls from the Rochester side and then retraced the same route back to PA.

I won't lie and say I wasn't a little nervous carrying a loaded, concealed handgun in New York state, but to me the risk was worth it. And I didn't stay in New York for very long.

I've carried illegally a few times in my life but I always tried to keep the risks minimal.

I think it is important to know the laws, especially those related to firearms and weapons of places you're going to visit. It's also a good idea to avoid drawing attention to yourself(I never discussed that I was from Texas unless I was asked. I also didn't wear firearm labeled clothing or had any bumper stickers on my motorcycle. I did wear a USMC cap, but my full face motorcycle helmet was plain.).

I always planned my motorcycle trips and drove during the day on interstates when possible. I also checked into good hotels before it got dark. And tried to get a room where my motorcycle was parked outside my window.

I remember spending a night in Bowling Green, Kentucky. And then walking over to the Waffle House that was nearby. Never seen so many "Bubbas" in my life...:) I've spent lots of time in Waffle Houses in Texas and Arkansas and even visited ones outside of those states. Cheap food and interesting people.

Crazy Jimmie, a biker friend of mine(and fellow Marine) once invited me to take a couple of Waffle House waitresses for a ride on our Harley's. I was living in McKinney, Texas at the time(before the big influx of Californians). We had a good old time. We took a cruise from McKinney up to Oklahoma. Good times...:)

I'm white but was adopted and raised by a Mexican-American family since I was 1.5. Spanish is my first language. I was born in Hartford, Kentucky, adopted in California, and raised in South Texas(where I currently reside). I learned at a young age to be able to adapt to different social situations. And those skills paid off when I have taken trips(by motorcycle and by car).

It really is important to learn not to draw attention to yourself. Many times being able to do so is the difference between getting pulled over by the police or having a person in a store or restaurant call the cops on you.

We went to the Air Force Academy band Christmas show last week at the Performing Arts Center downtown and for the first time at that venue I had to go back to the car to disarm. I wasn't happy about it but we we're with family and friends and I did my best to not upset the herd. I usually don't have to worry about such nonsense like having to disarm but even here things are getting weird. For future reference, I won't be seeing that show anymore. I'll always have this pic though! lol
20221212_191619.jpg

Back