testtest

Do you disarm?

Sld1959

Hellcat
Ok, another thread got me thinking. What do I do if someone I DO NOT KNOW, knocks on my door for shelter in the middle of a blizzard?

Well basically my rules would be no weapins, firearms, clubs, or knives brought into my home. They are left locked up in a shed. Yes you would be searched. Sorry for any embarrassment and intrusion on your 2nd amendment rights, but my home, my rules and my wife's, and any other in my homes well being trumps ANYTHING else, including your rights, it is my responsibility.

If you refuse you may sleep outside in an outbuilding, definitely with warm bedding, perhaps a heater depending upon the situation in my home and how many rooms need heating, again sorry for inconvenience, but it's my responsibilty to those in my home and my rules.

What do you do, accept and disarm, move on, sleep in a shed? Your answer is your answer, there is no wrong answer so no need to argue, you choose and live with your choice.

My rules will not bend no matter your arguement so do not bother trying. It's either choose or try to kill me flat out.

Even if you live in warm climate you can answer, perhaps for whatever reason your are traveling.

And sorry to say, even answering yes will not guarantee you entrance. I would trust my instincts and if you tweeked my antennae for whatever reason you do not enter.

Last edited:
When I lived in Connecticut the wife and I owned property with buildings not attached to our homes so if anyone had approached us for help that’s where they would have been housed for a short period of time until other arrangements would have been made.
Basically over 1 night.
No on ever did.

Where I live now
“1 bedroom apartment” there is no way I would allow anyone that’s not very well known in however I would do everything I could to get them help or get them to a shelter.

To answer your question if I agreed to help get them to a shelter they would have to prove they have no weapons of any kind up to including a search. If that would be an issue with those seeking help then they would be asked to move on.

I would have no problem with that. I would stay in an outbuilding. I understand and respect your rules and responsibility, but how can I know I can trust you? I would not disarm. I probably would not put myself in that situation to begin with. It would have to be a very good reason for me to venture out in adverse weather conditions to be in that situation. By adverse, I mean blizzard, hurricane, etc. I fully understand your situation and would probably do the same, especially having a loved one that I am responsible for. I would be armed in my own home, especially in those conditions. And I often am even in times of peace and tranquility. Unfortunately, in today's society and times, we cannot let our guard down. Not even in a crisis. We don't know the criminal background or mental state of those that come to our door. The murders in Idaho are a perfect example of this. You cannot just take people at face value. I am not going to let just anybody into our home. And when people do come in, with the exception of family and trusted friends, I watch them like a chicken watching a hawk.

I would have no problem with that. I would stay in an outbuilding. I understand and respect your rules and responsibility, but how can I know I can trust you? I would not disarm. I probably would not put myself in that situation to begin with. It would have to be a very good reason for me to venture out in adverse weather conditions to be in that situation. By adverse, I mean blizzard, hurricane, etc. I fully understand your situation and would probably do the same, especially having a loved one that I am responsible for. I would be armed in my own home, especially in those conditions. And I often am even in times of peace and tranquility. Unfortunately, in today's society and times, we cannot let our guard down. Not even in a crisis. We don't know the criminal background or mental state of those that come to our door. The murders in Idaho are a perfect example of this. You cannot just take people at face value. I am not going to let just anybody into our home. And when people do come in, with the exception of family and trusted friends, I watch them like a chicken watching a hawk.

You dont know me any more than I know you, I understand and respect your choice. At what point do we trust and put ourselves in the power of strangers in a world where every day we are given examples of mans penchant for cruelty to his fellow beings.

My only reply to someone at my door being distrustful of me would be, you came to me, uninvited. And do not say you were invited because the mat says welcome, because it doesn't...

Last edited:
You dont know me any more than I know you, I understand and respect your choice. At what point do we trust and put ourselves in the power of strangers.
I think it comes down to each situation. When you become severely ill, you go to an ER and put yourself and your life in the care of a stranger. When you go for a medical procedure that you agreed to and scheduled, you are putting your trust in a stranger. If it comes down to dire straits, life or death situation, we have a choice. Possible life or possible death. If I have to make a choice between life or death, then I will have to put my trust in you or whomever it may be at the time. I will have to keep vigilant, but be appreciative at the same time. If it comes to strangers at our door in those situations, we have a garage they can stay in. It really depends on the situation. In the event that there are children involved, or someone with a medical condition, contingency plans can be made and have been thought out. I am not a heartless person, as I believe you are not as well. Each scenario is different and requires different responses and solutions. This has been the case throughout human history. It is just now more common due to the world population, the violence and strife, and 24/7 technology that is at our fingertips. It is a fine balance between self preservation and compassion.

Last edited:
My home my rules. Only family and close friends allowed. Besides my 2 dogos are way overprotective and wouldn't take kindly to strangers at all. However, through my law enforcement career I have developed close ties to agencies and people who help out people who are down on their luck. At the very least I would facilitate helping them get the help they need. Just my two cents...

Call me cold and callous but I ain't letting anyone in my house.
Depends on the person.
Frail older couple in their late years that you can clearly see is not a “spry young chicken” with mobility issues and its a blizzard or such like you saw in NY this week, I’d be more inclined to bring them in.
Younger folks, … not so much.
Guess it depends on whom it is and what the weather is .

MIL shows up at the door, and I’m slamming it shut

Depends on the person.
Frail older couple in their late years that you can clearly see is not a “spry young chicken” with mobility issues and its a blizzard or such like you saw in NY this week, I’d be more inclined to bring them in.
Younger folks, … not so much.
Guess it depends on whom it is and what the weather is .

MIL shows up at the door, and I’m slamming it shut
I agree with this in it'e entirety. Except the MIL part. Mine has been dead for 13 years. If she shows up I am running like hell.

I know how to survive in the snow. I'm not knocking on your door.

This is a really complex topic. It's really easy for me to sit here on my couch in my boxers with no one knocking on my door and tell you that Christian charity demands that I allow you into my home for shelter.

But in reality I dealt with homeless people for a living for 15 years and it's been my experience that if you give them an inch they will take a mile.

Right before I retired I dealt with a lot of homeless people sleeping on properties that I had to check. I didn't have a choice I had to get them to leave. So I would wake them up and I would tell them places that they could go where they wouldn't be bothered. There were two places in particular where I found them sleeping on a concrete loading dock or on a tile porch of an apartment building I checked and I would always wake those people up and tell them that they would be better off sleeping on the grass because that tile and that concrete will suck the heat right out of you. I'd also tell them to go to Walmart the next day and buy a cold weather sleeping pad and they would sleep much warmer. I don't know how many of them listen to me but I do know that I got them all off property without having to start a fight or call the cops.

I live in an apartment building. If you're knocking on my door you're already inside a warm building. No you're not coming in my apartment. I have decided for myself that this winter if I should happen to go out to my car and see somebody Sheltering in the building from the cold I'm going to ignore it or maybe report it to the manager but thats as far as go.

I am with you all the way bassbob
Ditto.
I never even answer the doorbell until I’m expecting pizza or ammo. A select few know to use the side or garage door code.
Unfortunately in todays society, even ax murderers are given free passes. Cunning and wise no-goods are still using age old scams and tactics like wearing a safety vest and hard hat or selling magazine subscriptions, maybe legit or maybe just to get an idea who lives in the house.

Well, I've just read 16 posts of what each person thought, or thinks of how they would handle a situation of a family member or a totally unknown asking for entry into their home in an emergency. Some were pretty straight forward, some were a little on the humorous side, and some were totally full of 'chit'! LOL!

In reality I'm pretty sure we would all react to the situation at the moment and the existing circumstances at that moment. Here's an example, even if a far stretch. If we're leery of allowing a strapping, young man with tattoos all over his face, wearing heavy motorcycle type boots, and chains hanging from around his neck, we would likely politely say NO and close the door, maybe offfering some other means of help. If on the other hand the same guy was doing the best he could to stand up and about to black out, bleeding all over with one arm literally ripped off at the shoulder, and explaining he had just been hit by a semi-truck while delivering toys for tots, we'd probably see things a little differently.

My whole point is that we can't really know exactly how we might/would react in any given situation unless and until it happens. On the other hand I've made a list of all you who posted here so that in the future I know who to ask for help if ever in your neighborhood, and who to stay the hell away from ..................... LOL! LOL!

Happy and Prosperous New Year to all of you!!!!! jj

I think all of us would assess things as they present themselves in the moment.

The OP defined his scenario as something happening during a blizzard (i.e what Buffalo has experienced). Considering my state has hazardous winter weather I stick with my original position as a yes with restrictions since I know what winters can be in my state.

In other circumstances my reaction(s) would vary depending on what's going on & situation awareness.

My .02

Back