testtest

Do you disarm?

My rule is simple: If a stranger shows up in the middle of the night and is insistant of coming inside, I'll tell them I'm okay with letting them in as long as they're okay with me holding a gun on them. If they decline the offer, then they're welcome to sit on the front porch and I'll call 911 to see if I can get them a ride!
This is a very straight up and potential scenario, and certainly not intending any argument here ....... but I wonder how it would hold up in court in any event of an altercation. In most states there are laws against brandishing/bluffing (displaying a firearm with or without intent to use it), and or threatening with a firearm. I certainly don't know all the laws pertaining to self defense across the country, but in general I think it's a violation of law to threaten unless there is a fear of great bodily harm.

Would the fact the visitor agreed to you holding him at gunpoint negate the law? If something happened suddenly and caused a shooting, even by mistake, how would that fall out? Would the court find that the home owner did in fact invite the visitor inside even with concessions, negating 'stand your ground'?

As in favor as I am of self defense and a qualified 'stand your ground' law, I'm always curious what/how a jury would see any bad outcome. In effect, I don't think it would play in Peoria that two guys agreed on a duel before hand when one of them ends up dead. I'm pretty sure someone will be charged with murder one! I don't know, maybe just me.

Back