testtest

Is Bear Spray Better Than a Pistol?

I shot a black bear with a .44 magnum. First shot it was a dead bear, but it did not know. It took off about as fast as anything I ever saw. Second shot anchored it but not before it went a good 20 yards. Not going out in grizzly country with any 10 mm or no .357 either, which are closer than either is to the .44 magnum. Not unless that's all I had then I would put Hayes suggestion into action.

I pepper sprayed myself once too and that stuff is dang effective it would stop me from doing anything. My wife had a can in the car in summer out in Arizona in the dash cubby. I opened the door, and got in just in time for it to pop and and get a face full. Nasty stuff.

I think the problem was that this was a French Canadian bear and it didn't understand English when she was pleading for it to stop destroying her kayak. 🤪

That had to be the most pitiful thing I've seen in a long time. You can hear how out of touch with reality this woman was trying to convince a bear to stop doing what it was doing like it would have a guilty conscience or something.

She should have removed herself from that situation as soon as the bear backed off from being sprayed. No kayak is worth your life. She's lucky the bear didn't turn on her.

I think the problem was that this was a French Canadian bear and it didn't understand English when she was pleading for it to stop destroying her kayak. 🤪

That had to be the most pitiful thing I've seen in a long time. You can hear how out of touch with reality this woman was trying to convince a bear to stop doing what it was doing like it would have a guilty conscience or something.

She should have removed herself from that situation as soon as the bear backed off from being sprayed. No kayak is worth your life. She's lucky the bear didn't turn on her.
Can you imagin being married to that and have to listen to that voice everyday. :ROFLMAO:

When my oldest son was stationed in Alaska he hunted at every opportunity. He had a bait station and tree stand setup and after not seeing anything for a while climbed down to make some adjustments to the bait barrel. He leaned his .300 winmag against his tree and was working on the barrel when a brown bear walks into his clearing. He unloaded his Glock 10mm into the bear at bad breath range. He told me later, "That didn't go the way I had planned it". I never got all the details from him, but the bear skin hangs on his wall so it turned out OK in the end.

I remember a bike ride on the wing a few years back, the wife and me was cruisin on back roads in northern arkansas in a wooded area, which is plenty here. a big old black bear shot out of the woods right at us and quickly turned and ran along beside us for a good ways. the wife was spazzin out big time.lol

I backed off and let him ahead and we watched him for a good ways before he went back in the woods.

I live in rural PA so don't have to worry about Griz, but there are plenty of black bears around. When I'm in the woods I've always carried a 1911 loaded with 230 gr. hardball, just in case. One day I broke that rule. I was going fishing, and it was a pretty good hike through chest-high weeds. Fighting through the weeds was tiring, so rather than the heavy 1911 in a military rig, I just took a little Kimber Solo 9mm. I was standing by the stream fishing away, when I just caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Coming up on my left rear was a good-sized black bear about 20' away. He apparently didn't know I was there. I went "Woof!" & he turned tail & ran the other way. Good thing, too, as there was no way I could've even got that little 9mm in play in time. Ever since my .45 feels a lot lighter!

pointing-laughing.gif

I live in griz country, and as I posted earlier in this thread I carry both since I'm covering my bases.

Considering that I've lived in Griz country for 30+ years, and that my former career involved bear management, I'm likely much more familiar with the country and large critters in it than you are. So that's my honesty.

It's any ones' decision what they want to carry for protection for large wild animals.
So, you have issues because I say I would rather have a firearm than a bear spray just because you have some sort of bear management experience? Then contradict it by saying it's anyone's decision to carry what they want for large wild animals? Then why is it an issue that I am saying I would choose a firearm over bear spray? Help me understand.

The black bears here are usually non aggressive, but who know if you get between a mother and her cubs. no way would i go in the woods where bears are present with just some spray. i always have a firearm of some type. usually, an AR and a handgun. i've had coyotes and hogs try and get me. most times i just holler hey at the sighting of a bear and they will run. in no way do i try to get close to them but every now and then they surprise you.

Unless you are hunting them, avoiding all dangerous wildlife is the best thing.

BOTH!!! One can work or **** the bear off just as good as the other. Unless your packing a .500 or.460. or something else in that class? You better keep your composer and be a good shot with something smaller like a .357 or 10mm! Seriously guys! A bear can move so fast it would blow your mind! "BRING ENOUGH GUN"

I shot a black bear with a .44 magnum. First shot it was a dead bear, but it did not know. It took off about as fast as anything I ever saw. Second shot anchored it but not before it went a good 20 yards. Not going out in grizzly country with any 10 mm or no .357 either, which are closer than either is to the .44 magnum. Not unless that's all I had then I would put Hayes suggestion into action.

I pepper sprayed myself once too and that stuff is dang effective it would stop me from doing anything. My wife had a can in the car in summer out in Arizona in the dash cubby. I opened the door, and got in just in time for it to pop and and get a face full. Nasty stuff.
Imagine if the bear winded you and recognized you as the threat! Now you got a pi**ed off wounded bear that has a few more breaths of air to let you know what he thinks of you!
Sounds like you did some good shoot'n though! 👍

Back