testtest

Springfield Prodigy Torture Test: Did It Survive 10K Rounds?

There shouldn’t be widespread issues coming from the factory that have to be made right.
And by widespread…you mean the ones you’ve personally experienced and those you’ve read about on forums, not the thousands upon thousands that are out there without issue? You mean that widespread?

Like I’ve said before, for every 1 issue you read about on the inter webs, there’s hundreds without issue.

I can’t argue, I expect a weapon to be reliable. Period. Mine wasn’t, it was fixed and is now.
But I think your definition and mine of “widespread” vary greatly.

Oh boy, here we go. I own nine Springfield handguns and rifles. I have a Saint Victor riding in my gun rack to my right as I write this, so your thinly veiled implication that I joined just to trash this gun or this company is nonsense. I joined because my entire agency is looking at going to this platform and I want to see what people on this forum have to say because I want both sides. This gun is being dragged everywhere else on the web and is literally being called the Springfield Apology in other 1911/2011 forums and based on my experience, that seems warranted. When Springfield sends me three and not one of the three can run right out of the box, that’s a failure in my view and the “it needs a break in period, it needs a different spring, it needs etc” narrative is fanboy BS perpetrated by people who have a hard time admitting they bought something that wasn’t the best. Springfield has been making 1911’s for decades. I know because I own four, so the idea that they turned out yet another gun knowing it had problems is unacceptable to me. I’m neither a fan boy nor a detractor for Springfield. I’m a firearms instructor and armorer responsible for the guns that 60 plus guys put in their holsters every day. Sorry, but send it in and they will make it right, or fix it yourself is utter BS for a gun costing three times the price of a Glock and being marketed as a duty weapon. It should come out of the box, take a little lube and easily handle hundreds of rounds without a hiccup. Thats the standard for a modern pistol marketed for duty and CCW carry. That’s what guns costing a third as much do and that’s what the 3k Staccato on my hip as we speak does. Springfield needs to make this right and stop shipping under sprung crap guns. They need accountability, not special pleaders like you sir.

Good post, I am a Prodigy owner. Ive got over 3500 rounds through mine and I put over $650 to make it run flawless. I see what you are saying. And I am also a police officer and have been for over 20 years. Firearms instructor, SWAT member and EVOC instructor. I don't carry a 2011, but if I could and policy let me, I would definitely carry my Staccato or my Prodigy. Both have ran flawless. Granted the Staccato has ran flawless since I got it and the Prodigy has ran flawless after Skips Guns got ahold of it!! But there is not way Id run Prodigy straight from SA.

dwc, with all due respect. After a trip back to Springfield which cost me nothing but a few minutes on the phone, a few more minutes to package it up and send it off, mine’s been flawless as well for nearly 2K rounds now.

I hear you both, DWC and swat, but…fact of the matter is this. I’ve yet to read anyone send it back to Springfield and not have it come back working just perfect. We can talk about if that should be necessary….and you’d be right.
But then we’d also have to talk about how many never had to go back to SA because they’ve run fine from day 1…cause we’ll never know that number.
Just to be clear, I’m not a SA fanboy, it’s actually my first springfield and first 1911 style, I’ve always owned striker fired plastic pistols until a month ago when I got into an M&P Competitor and a Canik Rival S.

Glad yours is running flawless. I thought about and EGW ignition setup for mine, I see absolutely no need with how well it’s run since getting it back especially since I lightened up the trigger as a good 1911 style should be.

dwc, with all due respect. After a trip back to Springfield which cost me nothing but a few minutes on the phone, a few more minutes to package it up and send it off, mine’s been flawless as well for nearly 2K rounds now.

I hear you both, DWC and swat, but…fact of the matter is this. I’ve yet to read anyone send it back to Springfield and not have it come back working just perfect. We can talk about if that should be necessary….and you’d be right.
But then we’d also have to talk about how many never had to go back to SA because they’ve run fine from day 1…cause we’ll never know that number.
Just to be clear, I’m not a SA fanboy, it’s actually my first springfield and first 1911 style, I’ve always owned striker fired plastic pistols until a month ago when I got into an M&P Competitor and a Canik Rival S.

Glad yours is running flawless. I thought about and EGW ignition setup for mine, I see absolutely no need with how well it’s run since getting it back especially since I lightened up the trigger as a good 1911 style should be.
Gotcha to be clear mine ran fine when I got it back from SA. But I just wanted it better.

Gotcha to be clear mine ran fine when I got it back from SA. But I just wanted it better.
Respect that. I spent a few bucks upgrading the trigger action on my X5 legion and my M&P Competitor.
I just put about 100 or so rounds down range yesterday between my M&P, My Rival S and my Prodigy.
My good friend has been Drooling over and eyeballing a Stacatto for a few weeks. I told him to handle, rack, slide and shoot my Prodigy now that it’s probaboy in the neighborhood of 2K rounds since back from SA. He was really surprised by how smooth the action was and how nice it shot since the day I first got it (we both shot it, it was a jam o matic…lol)

I did my own spring bending on it…. I may eventually upgrade the internals..but not yet.
It’s reliable, fun to shoot and accurate, It’s been a great experience for my first and only 1911 style.

When people say "run fine when I got it back from SA", did SA even explain what was done? I'm curious as my 2 week old Prodigy (4.25") is exhibiting some failure to feed with 17 round mags... Even racking manually is an issue with a full mag, but seems to clear with only 16 in, at least by hand.

I'm aware that this could simply be break-in issues and I'm waiting patiently as it ran the first 150 rounds flawlessly, but the next 150 were a little more eventful. So far, the only ammo that seem to feed almost 100% is Norma NXD (65gr), but FMJ from Norma and Blazer (both 124gr) have feeding issues, had to tap the slide in 10%-20% of the time, sometimes 4 rounds in a row, sometimes once every 2-3 rounds... I had similar issues (actually worse) with an M&P Performance Center and this was clearly break-in period as this thing has run perfectly after the 150-200 rounds.

It also seems that the 17 round mags aren't working too great as the 20 rounds one worked just fine...

When people say "run fine when I got it back from SA", did SA even explain what was done?.
Yep, exactly what was done. I’ve seen several other instances of invoice/work orders similar to mine.
For my example:
Reamed and polished Chamber
Polished Barrel ramp
Tuned extractor
replaced sear spring
checked all mags (sent in 2 17 round, 3 20 round)
That was mid December.
Been running on fire since.
You will get an invoice of warranty work done via email and back with the pistol (all of this at no charge, not event he cost to ship it to them).

Yep, exactly what was done. I’ve seen several other instances of invoice/work orders similar to mine.
For my example:
Reamed and polished Chamber
Polished Barrel ramp
Tuned extractor
replaced sear spring
checked all mags (sent in 2 17 round, 3 20 round)
That was mid December.
Been running on fire since.
You will get an invoice of warranty work done via email and back with the pistol (all of this at no charge, not event he cost to ship it to them).
Nice, seems like they did a lot, good to know. Thanks for the info. I hope I don't have to go there, but it's good to know that SA is taking it seriously and working somewhat diligently.

I've got a Bushnell RDS (bad idea, I know now!) that's been in RMA since December and they have just "identified the problem". Mind you, the problem was the lens flew off while shooting. We're not quite at the resolution stage, and I paid for shipping too!

5 minute phone call (always call…don’t email)
Serial number, my information, what happened, what kind/type of ammo…
What email to send the RMA tag to.. Really that simple. Had it in 10 minutes.
Had it back in less than 10 business days.

Ran my Prodigy through roughly 300 rounds at the range today, only 3x FTE and systematically from one 17 round mags. With the 20 round mags, it ran absolutely flawlessly. Training rounds were 124gr CCI Blazer Brass FMJ. A few dozen rounds of Liberty 50gr JHP and norma 108gr MHP that ran perfectly too. The only thing I did to it is pretty much the same thing I do with my others: Clenzoil, boresnake, q-tips after every use. Looks like the fault is in the 17 round mags at this point!

What a great weapon. Love it!

OK, another 140 rounds today, 100x 124gr Blazer and 40 norma 108gr MHP out of two 17-round mags. All 100 Blazer ran through flawlessly with either mag and one mag gave me 3 failure to return to battery, which a slap on the slide took care of easily. So it seems I might be out of the woods with the Prodigy, i.e. break-in period passed with mostly flying colors and one 17-round mag that misbehaves a little. The 20-round mags are flawless!

Back