testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Shivy
You can lighten up the trigger pull and clean up the break with 30 to 60 minutes of time, patience and practice.
I’ve always been a striker fired gun kinda guy…I thought the trigger/ignition system on a 1911 style was this mystical thing beyond the understanding of normal man.
It’s not.
I have above average mechanical skills, enough tools to do just about anything…
Honestly, there is a YouTube video by Atlas Gun Works that does a simply outstanding job on what to do and how to do it. Try, test, try, test… you’ll get it where you want easily.
I consider a pistol reliable after 500 trouble free rounds of different ammo types.
I’m at nearly 2K on mine now. Great shooter, lots of fun. Good luck and congrats on finally spending some brass…

^ what he said!

I also thought 1911 triggers were black magic for years. Then I watched the video he is talking about.

Then I adjusted the sear spring on my Rock Island 9mm double stack 1911. Took it from 5# to 3# 4 oz, with nothing but bending the sear spring tines, per that video. The only tools I needed were a punch and hammer to get the mainspring housing off.

Wish I woulda learned this YEARS ago!

Attaboy Stuart. Nice to learn a bit and have fun.l
The hardest part for me, and I think I may have posted this elsewhere, on my Prodigy, is separating the safety.
It was a mother bugger.
I learned that if from full on position, if i rock it down slightly, and I mean a mm or two, they separated easier.
Other than that… just practice and learn. Make sure the hammer strut end goes into the hole/divot on top of the mainspring housing each time to try the weight and upon final assembly. It’s really that simple.

Attaboy Stuart. Nice to learn a bit and have fun.l
The hardest part for me, and I think I may have posted this elsewhere, on my Prodigy, is separating the safety.
It was a mother bugger.
I learned that if from full on position, if i rock it down slightly, and I mean a mm or two, they separated easier.
Other than that… just practice and learn. Make sure the hammer strut end goes into the hole/divot on top of the mainspring housing each time to try the weight and upon final assembly. It’s really that simple.

Yep. The ambi safety on my Rock was also the biggest, uhhh, challenge. LOL! Now that I understand how it works, though... Easy!

I haven't gotten to shoot my Rock yet, since I worked on it. Once I shoot it and make any final tweaks, if needed, then, man! I have several other 1911s that are just BEGGING me to tweak them, too! SO many years wasted, thinking I needed to find the right gunsmith, who had the time...!

Adjusting the sear spring was so easy, I might just take my hammer, punch, and armorer's block (aka roll of duct tape) with me to the range, so when I shoot the Rock, I can break it down and adjust it right there on the shooting bench.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direciton with that video.

Not sure if it was this forum or another, it was suggested to me and it was a great video! Just passing along the info.
I still “may” pickup an EGW ignition kit for mine, just because.. I can’t leave anything alone LOL.
I think I can make it even better than it is now…but, I’m not in a huge hurry to do so.

I didn’t read through all 27 pages. Will the Prodigy accept normal 1911 grips? From the pictures, I’d say not. Looks like it wraps around the front strap. Hope I’m wrong. If not, not a deal breaker for me.
Negative ghost rider. The screws hold the grip module to the frame, the panels are not replaceable.
There are aftermarket grip modules, but the factory is what it is.
It’s actually very, very nice…especially when you add a Gen 2 Stacatto mag well to it.
I know the Stacatto does not have replaceable 1911 style grips either. I don’t know about other 2011 style/double stack 1911.

Negative ghost rider. The screws hold the grip module to the frame, the panels are not replaceable.
There are aftermarket grip modules, but the factory is what it is.
It’s actually very, very nice…especially when you add a Gen 2 Stacatto mag well to it.
I know the Stacatto does not have replaceable 1911 style grips either. I don’t know about other 2011 style/double stack 1911.
Thank you for the info. A coworker just bought a Prodigy from Atwood’s. He’s not much of a gun owner or shoots much but once he handier it, he said it was like butter/ball bearing type of slide feeling. He went and bought it the next day. I’ll be checking it out shortly. I’ll eventually get one. Great looking “1911” and looks like a reliable gun.. Even if some kinks arise, they can be dealt with

I had issues with mine first time out, sent in for warranty, less than 10 days back in my hands. 2K plus rounds through no issue.
I do see a fail to extract now and then in the hands of other shooters with a weak grip/limp wrist.
Usually, and no offense to anyone, it’s my wife or my good friend’s wife. I can pick the pistol up and mag dump or take my time, zero issues.
I cleaned up my trigger a bit and lightened the weight, it was easy.
Keep it oiled up…it’s a great running pistol and very, very accurate.

We were out shooting pistols at about 95 yards yesterday, myself as well as others were able to hit a steel silhouette 3-5 times out of 10 from that distance with a red dot. I was impressed with that. Now that mine has some rounds through it…agree, it is very, very buttery smooth.

I had issues with mine first time out, sent in for warranty, less than 10 days back in my hands. 2K plus rounds through no issue.
I do see a fail to extract now and then in the hands of other shooters with a weak grip/limp wrist.
Usually, and no offense to anyone, it’s my wife or my good friend’s wife. I can pick the pistol up and mag dump or take my time, zero issues.
I cleaned up my trigger a bit and lightened the weight, it was easy.
Keep it oiled up…it’s a great running pistol and very, very accurate.

We were out shooting pistols at about 95 yards yesterday, myself as well as others were able to hit a steel silhouette 3-5 times out of 10 from that distance with a red dot. I was impressed with that. Now that mine has some rounds through it…agree, it is very, very buttery smooth.
I’ve seen the same thing with people limp wristing it.

Just a side note, I bought another SA 17 rd mag for my Prodigy and it ran perfectly this weekend, no filing, sanding, etc. just loaded it full and hit go. I know others have had mag issues. I have 6 SA mags and not had problems with any of them.
I know a lot of people have reported problems with the SA Duramags, but I haven't seen them. I just bought two more 20 round Duramags. I don't see the need to buy the more expensive Staccato or Atlas mags when these work perfectly.
I just took my Prodigy out and I'm now up to 500 rounds without a hiccup. My only real complaint is how the lens on the red dot gets so dirty so fast from that little hole on top of the barrel. It only takes 50 rounds or so and the lens is filthy. Almost makes me thinking of just removing the red dot and going back to irons.

I’ve seen the same thing with people limp wristing it.
I know a lot of people have reported problems with the SA Duramags, but I haven't seen them. I just bought two more 20 round Duramags. I don't see the need to buy the more expensive Staccato or Atlas mags when these work perfectly.
I just took my Prodigy out and I'm now up to 500 rounds without a hiccup. My only real complaint is how the lens on the red dot gets so dirty so fast from that little hole on top of the barrel. It only takes 50 rounds or so and the lens is filthy. Almost makes me thinking of just removing the red dot and going back to irons.

This has been my experience as well. I have four 20-round SA Duramags and one 17-round SA Duramag, and have had zero issues with them, no mods.

I did this to mine. I had this done by DSC.

Thanks. I had thought about something like this and was wondering if it was even possible. At only $60 it's a bargain. Are you satisfied with the work and how is it holding up?
I was also thinking about waiting and seeing if either SA fixes this problem by doing a design revision, or to see if an aftermarket barrel might be available eventually.
It would have better if Springfield had completely left out this feature or had originally found a way to mount the rear sight in front of the red dot. I don't like that setup as much, but it might have fixed the problem, although since it would have only set the red dot back about 5/16" or so. It might have improved it somewhat but not fixed it entirely. There just isn't a lot of room for a red dot on these 2011 style pistols.

I did this to mine. I had this done by DSC.

Ok. I’m definitely down for this. When Sig brought the X5 Legion out it had an LCI in the chamber and people kicked up such a fuss that Sig replaced the barrels for free. SA should have a service to weld up the LCI at no charge. I’m definitely going to take the dive. It will give me the chance to show my 226 Legion some love. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks. I had thought about something like this and was wondering if it was even possible. At only $60 it's a bargain. Are you satisfied with the work and how is it holding up?
I was also thinking about waiting and seeing if either SA fixes this problem by doing a design revision, or to see if an aftermarket barrel might be available eventually.
It would have better if Springfield had completely left out this feature or had originally found a way to mount the rear sight in front of the red dot. I don't like that setup as much, but it might have fixed the problem, although since it would have only set the red dot back about 5/16" or so. It might have improved it somewhat but not fixed it entirely. There just isn't a lot of room for a red dot on these 2011 style pistols.
Springfield has always had the LCI. I seriously doubt they will ever change this design.

Like you the build up on my RMR was ridiculous. I hated it, I am glad I found DSC to offer this service.

Just a side note, I bought another SA 17 rd mag for my Prodigy and it ran perfectly this weekend, no filing, sanding, etc. just loaded it full and hit go. I know others have had mag issues. I have 6 SA mags and not had problems with any of them.
Lucky you.

I tried my original mags again and they all have issues. I didn't do any kind of sanding or bending or anything to them. Tried new springs but same thing. My Dawson Staccato mags work flawlessly and when I tried my fathers Prodigy 17 and 20rd mags, no issues either.

I must just have a bad run of mags. Still need to call Springfield about them. Ugh :D

No issues with my mags, 2 17 rounders, 3 20 rounders.
RLB, which optic are you using? What ammo?
I shoot reloads 90% of the time, I used to use Southern Munitions. They just run dirty…sorry.
I’ve switched to Ammunition Planet Oak Island reloads and zero issues with my Prodigy getting the glass dirty.
I’ve run a Holosun 507c from the get go on mine. 200-300 rounds and no dirt on the glass.

My S&W Competitor with a delta point pro… every other mag you gotta wipe it. Unreal.
Even Jerry Miculek said the only thing he didn’t like about it was the dirt from the LCI.

Curious which dot you’re running.

I sort of wanted to keep it all Springfield so I ordered my Prodigy with the Hex Dragonfly red dot. I have had no problems with the red dot but I probably wouldn't do it again. Like I said, I wanted to keep it all SA and since it came with the mounting plate it allowed me to not have to put up with the hassle and expense of ordering another plate. I don't like the idea that the Hex has to be removed to replace the battery but decided to go that route anyway.

It's sort of like how when you buy a new Jeep and you want to accessorize it by using only Jeep accessories instead of aftermarket addons. I just have this weird thing about that.

I started breaking mine in with Winchester 124 gr NATO ammo. I feel that it has a little more punch to it and aids in breaking in new firearms. I then went to 124 Blazer brass and then finally to 115 gr Blazer brass, which is the one I use the most. I never use reloads and only brass case ammo.

I just reached 500 rounds without a hiccup. I would have shot it more this past weekend, but I was concentrating on my newest acquisition, a US built Sig P226 X-5. Wow talk about a nice firearm!

Back