testtest

Best concealed carry hostlers? Preferably the waist band

View attachment 37079

Safariland 578 GLS.

This is a level 1 retention holster. I bought it for my last security assignment I paid $51 for it plus shipping and it was worth every penny.

Here is a video description

Now that I'm retired I use this holster for hiking and I use it as a range holster because I can adjust it for either of my Glocks or my Smith & Wesson M&P9.

I was also very surprised how low of the profile this holster has. It has as low a profile as my Kramer holsters do and conceals just as well.

It's listed as a "retention" holster but it's really not any more retention than having a thumb break on the holster. If you grab the grip of the gun you unlock the retention feature.

Like I said I bought it for my last assignment, specifically because it's a paddle holster and I could take it on and off my belt without having to unbuckle my belt.

My last assignment was checking closed businesses and low-income housing in the middle of the night. If I interacted with three people in the course of the night it was a lot. I do not consider this to be a retention holster and I would never use it as a duty holster someplace where I was encountering a lot of people all the time.
If you're going to mention retention for the love of God avoid Blackhawk. Unless you like shooting yourself.

Hi Matt. It would help (and you may have already bought a holster!) if we knew how you are planning to carry concealed. Some folks carry outside the waistband of the pants and some prefer carrying inside the waistband. It makes quite a difference in how well you can conceal your firearm and what type clothing you can wear and still achieve concealment.

If you haven’t already bought a holster, let us know. Also, if you have bought one, tell us what you decided on and how you like it.

The first handgun I carried full-time was a XD-G, I tried a few other plastic guns until I found my favorite. If I'm not carrying a 1911, it's just a substitute.
I only carry own on my hip, usually in a leather pancake style. If I don't have a thumb safety, I'll use a thumb-break holster.

The first handgun I carried full-time was a XD-G, I tried a few other plastic guns until I found my favorite. If I'm not carrying a 1911, it's just a substitute.
I only carry own on my hip, usually in a leather pancake style. If I don't have a thumb safety, I'll use a thumb-break holster.
I'm a big fan of De Santos, Don Hume, Galco, and especially Cobra Gun Skins.
Fobus makes a great paddle holster, if you want to go without a belt.

I carry my P226 SAO with a Blackpoint Tactical "Standard OWB", no cant, tight to the body, riding high. Still could go a tad higher by flipping the belt loops, but that might start twisting the belt a little too much.

That makes it mostly concealed, not that bad actually. Good retention, a bit stiff but not too bad. Plus it's got the "kool kidz" Legion logo on it, what's not to like ;)

PXL_20230212_210755383.jpg

PXL_20230212_210743325.jpg

Fp_FUaDXsAApV2s.jpg

I carry my Hellcat with Shield RMSc in an A-3 Adversary IWB from MTR Custom Leather. Comfortable, conceals well, and reinforced mouth for easy holstering. They make this for a lot of different makes and models. They make this model for your SD9 Subcompact.

Last edited:
Like lock n load I have a big plastic bin of holsters! But I have an update on the CYA holster I commented on earlier. I have one for a s&w equalizer and now have one for my PSA dagger compact. I really like the retention and the molded part that covers the mag release. The small dimple in the trigger guard snaps it in and gives an audible click so you know it’s seated. I have more expensive holsters but for 35 or so dollars, this is becoming a favorite. I really like the full sweat guard too for an iwb holster. Two negatives is the cant is either 0 or 15 degrees, no in between and there is no height adjustment. I wish they would have made the holes slotted like some others so it would adjust up and down and be able to adjust from 0 to 15 degree. I like a slight cant but not always the whole way to 15 on some pistol’s depending on the size.

Attachments

• 6D4E4AF1-FCCF-47AC-BA27-7100D926F002.jpeg
    6D4E4AF1-FCCF-47AC-BA27-7100D926F002.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • C8E10E4A-399A-43F3-BA60-05C144432442.jpeg
    C8E10E4A-399A-43F3-BA60-05C144432442.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
If you're going to mention retention for the love of God avoid Blackhawk. Unless you like shooting yourself.
Nonsense. One guy who didn't know what he was doing and couldnt keep his finger off the trigger, and disengaged the safety on his 1911 still in the holster shot himself in the leg and the holster is blamed. Manufacturers recommend practice draw a minimum of 200 times before using the holster for real. You have to train to be safe regardless of brand.

Nonsense. One guy who didn't know what he was doing and couldnt keep his finger off the trigger, and disengaged the safety on his 1911 still in the holster shot himself in the leg and the holster is blamed. Manufacturers recommend practice draw a minimum of 200 times before using the holster for real. You have to train to be safe regardless of brand.
It seems endemic these days to blame the equipment before the user. I blame lawyers and participation trophies, no one is responsible for thier effort or lack thereof. And lawyers just throw everything against the litigation wall just to see if someone will settle.

And here I was thinking that the holster manufacturer was responsible for my proper trigger finger discipline... The internet told me so! 100% agree with you @HayesGreener It is after all called negligent discharge precisely for that reason: the user is being negligent.

I do have 3 of these holsters for multiple guns including some with no safety, always carry with one in the chamber. As long as my trigger finger doesn't err on the trigger, nothing happens, yes even on SIG P320 ;) I've used these in classes and EDC often with no self-inflicted wound or danger to anyone. It is actually a good design in my opinion as it makes sure your trigger finger is busy while unholstering instead of accidentally going for the trigger. As for re-holstering, should the trigger finger be on the trigger? That being said, there are opportunities to jam the thumb release with dirt/gravel, that doesn't lead to accidental discharge. The DHS training center "accident" is a perfect example of multiple bad behavior and poor discipline that had only one possible outcome: accidental discharge.

I might be cynical, but it seems to me these "issues" with Serpa helped the government back out of a long term procurement contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not nonsense. Text Grebner was not the only person that shot himself using a SERPA.

From the linked article

FLETC has banned them
LAPD Bans Use Of Blackhawk SERPA Holster for Safety Reasons
Forest Service Bans Serpa
Larry Vickers Bans Serpa
Army Dumps Serpa Holster
Front Site Bans Serpa Holster
TDI Bans Serpa Holster
Florida IDPA Clubs Ban Serpa
Kyle DeFoor Bans Serpa
Dallas PD Bans Serpa
National Parks Service Bans Serpa
Todd Green has banned the SERPA from his classes
IPSC Canada Prohibits SERPA Use

It's not nonsense. Text Grebner was not the only person that shot himself using a SERPA.

From the linked article

FLETC has banned them
LAPD Bans Use Of Blackhawk SERPA Holster for Safety Reasons
Forest Service Bans Serpa
Larry Vickers Bans Serpa
Army Dumps Serpa Holster
Front Site Bans Serpa Holster
TDI Bans Serpa Holster
Florida IDPA Clubs Ban Serpa
Kyle DeFoor Bans Serpa
Dallas PD Bans Serpa
National Parks Service Bans Serpa
Todd Green has banned the SERPA from his classes
IPSC Canada Prohibits SERPA Use

Sometimes, "unsafe" simply means "not idiotproof". One can make anything fail if that is the goal. I've seen $100K avionics units dropped off A-10 racks crashing on the floor on purpose to prove a point, which was "we want a stronger handle for single person operation" even though the unit was a 2-person handling.

But once one video reaches critical mass on YouTube and knee-jerk reactions take over, it becomes "knowledge". I have no stake in Blackhawk or their owner Bushnell, but I have 4 Serpa holsters for 4 different guns and have never felt unsafe with them. Granted, I'm not at risk of being shot at any longer, so definitely in a far less stressful environment than some of these guys :)

The US Army one is definitely a backing out of contract thing: look what they went with on the M17 and M18, a $350 Safariland holster (SIG sold these on limited run last year, might still be available) vs. a $50-$100 Serpa! The was absolutely no middle ground between an "unsafe" Serpa for M17 and a super deluxe Safariland???? I'd certainly claim my Serpa is unsafe if I was to be given a Safariland!

Left is Safariland, right is Blackhawk. Absolutely would go for Safariland!

hol-m17-safariland-dl-gen-web-11.jpg
Screenshot 2023-03-16 115948.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the safariland as well. I am well aware of the Serpa's detractors, and of the FLETC opinions. I have been to FLETC and I can tell you they do great training in a world class facility. They are training a lot of novices there. But I have trained hundreds of officers with the Blackhawk Serpa, because that's what they were issued, with no problems. Thousands of US personnel deployed to the war zone with Serpa holsters. There have been negligent discharges with all manner of holsters. The Serpa is perfectly safe to use if trained and used properly, as with all platforms. With that said, never underestimate a dumba$$ ability to find a workaround to your safety protocols.

True story bro, I've never seen anybody change their mind because of something I said on the internet and I don't expect that to change now.

Having said that I will never use a SERPA holster. I really don't see any reason why I should give and I can get a reasonably inexpensive Safariland I have a reasonably inexpensive Safariland
That covers the exact same space for, I'm sure, comparable price
20220211_122941.jpg

Back