testtest

Review: Springfield Armory Desert FDE XD-M Elite 4.5" OSP 10mm

Good looking/performing 10mm! Only recommendation being to use REAL 10mm ammo, as in examples from Buffalo Bore or like loadings. It should achieve 1300+ fps and 600-700 fpe with those loads. I run a Glock 29 w/3.78" barrel, somewhat modified, and shoot Speers 180 GDHP @1250 fps w/620+ fpe! My load version w/my upgrades provides consistent 3/4" groups @25 yards, putting to rest concerns about Glock accuracy. My G20, slightly modified 6" with a red dot will send plastic liter bottles into orbit @100+ yards. That 6" barrel gives me right at 800 FPE!
Forgot to add the Buffalo Bore web site: BuffaloBore.com - did note that their 10mm 180 Heavy Loading is now over $2 per round! Maybe purchase two boxes to start, one to zero (should not take all 20) the other 20 for the bear attack. Add more for stock as your finances permit. Underwood also produces better 10mm performance loads, although I think their prices are similar.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Review: Springfield Armory Desert FDE XD-M Elite 4.5" OSP 10mm” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-armory-desert-fde-xd-m-elite-4-5-osp-10mm-review/.

I'm interested in, but not really motivated by, the stream of articles here that come out regularly enough to be akin to "gun of the week" promos. Sure, this is a marketing channel for SA, but I generally read and move on. I'm past the stage in my firearm journey where my hand reaches for a credit card every time a shiny new firearm is released (mostly).

This model seems to make more sense to me. I already have the 9mm version, so the frame size, controls, etc. would match pretty closely. In the event that I am heading out somewhere that suggests maybe a little more punch is a good idea, then it might be useful to have this 10mm around.

Alternately, it's a terrible idea because the firearms look so similar, I could tactically neuter myself by thinking the 9mm was the 10mm or vice-versa.

Maybe I'll just stick with what I have and spend the money on training and ammo instead. 🤔

Maybe not selling enough of the black version? Nothing like a 'new' iteration to bump up sales! ;) Does yours sport the ready cutout for a red dot? That may be the 'new' part?

Yes, both of my 9mm and 10mm XDM Elites have the OSP, what I really want is a threaded 10mm barrel.

I've been reloading for 40+ years, and used to load my .338 Win Mag to the limit. I like my target loads to mimic whatever I'm going to carry in the gun, so I start low and work my way up towards the max, trying to Preach that compromise of velocity and accuracy.
Except for the primers, most of my .40 components will work in either caliber. I've a couple boxes of large pistol primers, but those wouldn't last long, so I'd need to pick up more. I sold my .44 Special to a nephew (an old Charter Arms Bulldog), and it was the only pistol I had using large pistol primers.
Primer prices are ridiculously high still. I'd stocked up right before the Scamdemic started, not because I knew it was coming, but because a LGS was going out of business, and selling everything off for just a little over cost. He'd been trying to sell it for 3 or 4 years, but had no buyers. I picked up several cases at $25/per, usually $35 -$40 locally.
But now, locally, I'm seeing $125/case. Even online they're still way higher than they should be.
Component wise, bullet prices per box are nearly back to PreScamdemic prices, but Powder and Primers (especially Primers) are still a lot higher than they were.

Good looking/performing 10mm! Only recommendation being to use REAL 10mm ammo, as in examples from Buffalo Bore or like loadings. It should achieve 1300+ fps and 600-700 fpe with those loads. I run a Glock 29 w/3.78" barrel, somewhat modified, and shoot Speers 180 GDHP @1250 fps w/620+ fpe! My load version w/my upgrades provides consistent 3/4" groups @25 yards, putting to rest concerns about Glock accuracy. My G20, slightly modified 6" with a red dot will send plastic liter bottles into orbit @100+ yards. That 6" barrel gives me right at 800 FPE!
Plenty here.

How high are their Haz Mat Fees? One reason I haven't bought much ammo, powder or primers online, is the HazMat gouge eats into the money you think you're saving.

I've been reloading for 40+ years, and used to load my .338 Win Mag to the limit. I like my target loads to mimic whatever I'm going to carry in the gun, so I start low and work my way up towards the max, trying to Preach that compromise of velocity and accuracy.
Except for the primers, most of my .40 components will work in either caliber. I've a couple boxes of large pistol primers, but those wouldn't last long, so I'd need to pick up more. I sold my .44 Special to a nephew (an old Charter Arms Bulldog), and it was the only pistol I had using large pistol primers.
Primer prices are ridiculously high still. I'd stocked up right before the Scamdemic started, not because I knew it was coming, but because a LGS was going out of business, and selling everything off for just a little over cost. He'd been trying to sell it for 3 or 4 years, but had no buyers. I picked up several cases at $25/per, usually $35 -$40 locally.
But now, locally, I'm seeing $125/case. Even online they're still way higher than they should be.
Component wise, bullet prices per box are nearly back to PreScamdemic prices, but Powder and Primers (especially Primers) are still a lot higher than they were.
Yep, it’s almost as though they are trying to run us reloaders outta business. As with you, I have a stockpile of all the components to keep me armed with my 29 as well as most of my other pals. I thought when the CCI Bench Rest primers hit $50 per K that it was crazy, I’m oldt so u might understand I have bought regular primers @$1.30 per C or $12.50 per K! Now, there is NO WAY I’m coming off the hip for 1K of CCI BR primers @$125+ per K!!

Yep, it’s almost as though they are trying to run us reloaders outta business. As with you, I have a stockpile of all the components to keep me armed with my 29 as well as most of my other pals. I thought when the CCI Bench Rest primers hit $50 per K that it was crazy, I’m oldt so u might understand I have bought regular primers @$1.30 per C or $12.50 per K! Now, there is NO WAY I’m coming off the hip for 1K of CCI BR primers @$125+ per K!!
Yep, I started in the mid 70's, and I've a couple of boxes of old Federal with the price tag I kept for nostalgia, that were $1.15 for the box.
I began stocking up more in 2019, when a friend forwarded me a Midway Factory Second Bullet sale. The prices were too good to pass up, as they were 30-50% less than I was buying locally. Before I knew it, the shelf I keep bullets on had to be reinforced because of the weight. LOL, so then I started buying more powder and primers to catch up with all the various bullets I had.
I only load 11 different cartridges, but I've several hundred bullets for each cartridge. I also reload 12 and 20 gauge too, but I've not fired any of my shotguns in several years, since I had to give up hunting due to health issues in 2015.

OK Mike, you just made me do this. This is all yer fault

20230314_134735.jpg
Totally my fault! I'll own it :)

Looks like a nice gun, and an excellent, well-written review by the author. Too bad that 10mm ammo is so expensive.
That's Richard Johnson that authored it, my managing editor for the website. I think he did a great job as well!

Interesting, but the gun is now illegal in all the Western Coast states. If you had one before the new laws were passed, you get to keep it and the over ten round mags, but you can never sell it in your state except through an FFL and it must be sold out of your state.

Now let's assume you had something like this (or this gun) in say Oregon. Big game hunting in Oregon limits you to five rounds in the magazine for semi autos. I would assume this applies to big game hunting with a handgun too. If I were hunting deer in that state (lived there for nearly thirty years, but been gone for over twenty), I'd stay with my 6" .357 Colt or S&W, OR my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Sorry, I don't see this as being the answer to bear protection either. I know it is much easier to carry a handgun while fishing or hiking, but if I were seriously concerned about ending up a bear's dinner, I'd have a least a 3" 12 gauge semi auto. If I were hunting the bear with a rifle, then I might have one of these as a last resort.

Now let's assume you had something like this (or this gun) in say Oregon. Big game hunting in Oregon limits you to five rounds in the magazine for semi autos. I would assume this applies to big game hunting with a handgun too. If I were hunting deer in that state (lived there for nearly thirty years, but been gone for over twenty), I'd stay with my 6" .357 Colt or S&W, OR my Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Sorry, I don't see this as being the answer to bear protection either. I know it is much easier to carry a handgun while fishing or hiking, but if I were seriously concerned about ending up a bear's dinner, I'd have a least a 3" 12 gauge semi auto. If I were hunting the bear with a rifle, then I might have one of these as a last resort.
"Big game hunting?" The 10mm is legal for 'Deer sized game' in almost every state. I'm surprised the .357 is legal for deer in Oregon. "BIG game," like bear, it is only designed for a desperate fall back when no other arm is available, and in the right hands will stop a bear (documented cases for proof)! The major problem being, most shoot the 10mm with less than FULL HOUSE loads and they may as well be using a standard 40 cal. The full 10mm is more comparable to the power of the 41 Magnum, not the .357. Only the Buffalo Bore brand of .357 ammo approaches the energy levels of the 10mm and still uses a smaller bullet, and those pressures probably overwork the revolver, and possibly the semi-auto.

Not many folk 'hike' the mountains or "bear woods" with a 30-06 or comparable long arm. Though there are more powerful handguns than the 10mm, they tend to be quite heavy with almost uncontrollable recoil, and if you want something that heavy to pack around, you may as well carry a rifle! YMMV, but as you say, "if I were hunting the bear with a rifle, then I might have one of these as a last resort," but having no rifle while hiking, or just enjoying a day in the woods, the full house 10mm, w/10-15 round magazines, just might save the day! BTW, states that limit magazine capacity for a handgun should be shunned, and at the first opportunity the clowns making such laws run outta-da-state!

1679083422869.png

I know that Sportsman's Warehouse offers this model with an OD green slide, but I would rather have an XDM Elite 10MM that's all OD green. Curious to hear people's thoughts on this; should I just get the SW exclusive and completely break down the frame and hydro-dip it, or what? I live in the deep woods and it's mostly evergreens, so FDE or coyote brown is not a good look for me.

I know that an attacking bear won't care what color my pew-pew is, but I like green.

"....the gun is now illegal in all the Western Coast states." Shudda questioned this earlier, but what part of the Constitution allows these "Western Coast states" to dictate what kind/style of gun you may own? There is a primary REASON that single sentence 2nd Amendment only states "firearms" and does not mention any kind or style. The smarter than the average bear (read current legislators) Founding Gentlemen fully understood that "firearms" would change and upgrade from the muskets of the day. Those "Western Coast states'" population are responsible for the idiots they elect to keep the government boot on their necks, and why we semi-sane folk farther East desire NOT to have any of them migrate past their western borders! BTW, that applies to those idiots farther East than VA, maybe NC.

"Big game hunting?" The 10mm is legal for 'Deer sized game' in almost every state. I'm surprised the .357 is legal for deer in Oregon. "BIG game," like bear, it is only designed for a desperate fall back when no other arm is available, and in the right hands will stop a bear (documented cases for proof)! The major problem being, most shoot the 10mm with less than FULL HOUSE loads and they may as well be using a standard 40 cal. The full 10mm is more comparable to the power of the 41 Magnum, not the .357. Only the Buffalo Bore brand of .357 ammo approaches the energy levels of the 10mm and still uses a smaller bullet, and those pressures probably overwork the revolver, and possibly the semi-auto.

Not many folk 'hike' the mountains or "bear woods" with a 30-06 or comparable long arm. Though there are more powerful handguns than the 10mm, they tend to be quite heavy with almost uncontrollable recoil, and if you want something that heavy to pack around, you may as well carry a rifle! YMMV, but as you say, "if I were hunting the bear with a rifle, then I might have one of these as a last resort," but having no rifle while hiking, or just enjoying a day in the woods, the full house 10mm, w/10-15 round magazines, just might save the day! BTW, states that limit magazine capacity for a handgun should be shunned, and at the first opportunity the clowns making such laws run outta-da-state!
Wrong.

10mm in full-power is .357 level.

.41 Mag smokes 10mm unless you wimp out and compare the hottest 10mm loads to lightweight .41 loads.

Apples to apples comparison: similar bullet weights & type, by the same manufacturer.

Underwood 10mm 200gr—1200fps
Underwood .41 210gr—1560fps

Underwood .357Mag 180gr—-1400fps
Underwood 10mm 180gr—1400fps

"....There is a primary REASON that single sentence 2nd Amendment only states "firearms" and does not mention any kind or style..."
Reread that 2A. It plainly states 'ARMS', not firearms. SCOTUS has defined 'arms' in the original intent to apply to the whole spectrum of "bearable arms", including but not limited to: knives, pepper spray, batons, body armor, gun parts & accessories, scopes, ammunition, et. al. (Caetano v Massachusetts, 2016). Other than that point. you're spot-on!

Reread that 2A. It plainly states 'ARMS', not firearms. ....
Great catch on word semantics. et.al covers spears, bows and arrows, even sling shots; however, most folk when referring to that dastardly 2nd Amendment are concerned with 'firearms' as in guns, or much of anything else the "Government" may use to keep you subjected! You make the point of ONLY stating ARMS and not, as you have done, pointing out styles and systems of ARMS as defined by that SCOTUS or anyone else. I have several copies of that one sentence Amendment and, needing little correction, understand it. Thanks. BTW, that erudite (NOT) SCOTUS also attempted to refine that Amendment by limiting where a gunny could lawfully have a gun, by adding, "In The Home" during one such revelation concerning that Amendment! My state has implemented "Constitutional Carry," how is your state doing, ahh didn't think so?

Wrong.

10mm in full-power is .357 level.

.41 Mag smokes 10mm unless you wimp out and compare the hottest 10mm loads to lightweight .41 loads.

Apples to apples comparison: similar bullet weights & type, by the same manufacturer.

Underwood 10mm 200gr—1200fps
Underwood .41 210gr—1560fps

Underwood .357Mag 180gr—-1400fps
Underwood 10mm 180gr—1400fps

Not that I really want to be part of this conversation, nor do I know a lot about Underwood Ammunition, but your point has a couple holes in it. First that a comparison of only one ammunition manufacturer doesn't prove much, only that is how their ammunition is loaded, regardless how all other manufacturers load their ammunition.

And second that you're claiming to use an apples to apples approach is like comparing a Red Delicious to a McIntosh and to a Gala. The size and shape of the bullet plays a considerable role beyond the muzzle. In the context of the thread about big game hunting the relevance of ballistic performance is at the target impact. So, it really depends on how far the target is and that would be the comparison that could be questioned.

I believe someone mentioned that (generally) 10mm rounds are not loaded to the full potential of the cartridge. If that is true then how can there be a fair comparison at all. I have heard that the .41 is a hot round, and so that being a magnum, whereas the 10mm is not, like a +P or +P+ round could be. If there were such an animal as a 10mm +P then I think the comparison would be fairer between the other two magnum rounds.

Back