testtest

When is it time to stop buying

javbike

Hellcat
Ok boys and girls question I am 68 going to turn 69 in January I having a problem shooting and rotating all my guns . I think it’s time but I am going out in a bang either a smith and Wesson model 586 or a model 27 both in 357mag . I am lending towards the 27 thoughts 💭

Ok boys and girls question I am 68 going to turn 69 in January I having a problem shooting and rotating all my guns . I think it’s time but I am going out in a bang either a smith and Wesson model 586 or a model 27 both in 357mag . I am lending towards the 27 thoughts 💭
I like the 686 myself.
S & W Model 686-6.JPG

However any of these will do in a pinch: Model 28 in 6 and 4 inch barrels. A 4 inch Model 19 and a Model 65.
.357 S & W.JPG

I’m not schooled in those models myself, so I really can’t say. However, FWIW, I wholeheartedly agree with the going out with a bang thing with a Smith and Wesson. Yes, I am biased cuz I’m partial to them. 🥰😎
As far as stopping buying, well that's hard for someone else to decide.

A few years ago i trimmed my collections, knives, guns, watches. These days I only buy when I really find a need. Or want to replace,/improve a current choice. Like year i bought the P364xl to fill a perceived need. Now i am slowly convincing myself i woukd be better served with an EMP, Deceptive hi power or something of the like. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Try to handle them both before making your decision. The 27 is on the big N frame, the X86 is on the L frame, which has the same grip size as the wonderful, delightful K frame. Much as I love the N frames (and I own 6 of them), it's all I can do to stretch to the trigger to shoot double-action. DA is no problem at all on any of my K-frames.

Just something to think about. ;)

I'm a S&W collector, he's my view. First of all look for an older gun without the lock or MIM parts. Made before the mid-90s.
The 586 (all the L-frames) were specifically designed to be a medium frame .357. Its solid, accurate, has a good trigger, fits the hand well and is tough as nails. JMHO: This is the best all around .357 made.
The Model 27 is a pure classic. This is S&W's flagship revolver. The best and most beautiful they can make. Its big, its heavy, but it absorbs recoil and is amazingly accurate. A pure pleasure to shoot.
So the choice is basically do you want practical or classy?

The pride of my meager collection is this 1956 5" pre-27. Magnificent revolver and a pure joy to own and shoot. 😁

i enmassed a small armory of at least 40 various handguns....i am culling them down now.

i keep a 5", 3 ring binder a log book of sorts, with all of each guns specs, prices, and other info, and range times.

trying my best to keep all in "rotation"...even going to the club or range 2 times a week.....some weeks, i just cannot go to either.

i haven't bought a gun since my last one, the Sig P320. back in August i believe.

i love my collection, but i'd rather now just get down to a few, and reload, and that's it.

I personally prefer the L Frames. A few years back I acquired four 686 Plus revolvers in 2.5", 3", 4" and 6". I was fortunate to buy them before the price went through the roof. I keep the 3" at my bedside loaded with hot 38 Special +P loads. I keep a Glock 17 with light stashed down the hall, because I don't want to be awakened in the middle of the night and grab for a semi-auto. The S&W is a bit more deliberate, so I won't shoot myself.
smith-wesson-model-686-plus-beauty.jpg

Back