testtest

What’s your Favorite Reloading Press?

I use a single stage Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic with the quick change bushings. I'm still fairly new to reloading so I haven't invested too much into the hobby yet. I do reload a decent amount of ammo though and I find it very therapeutic with the night flying by faster than you realize.

Dillon is still my favorite... cranked out 700+ loads of .38 spcl today ;)

38spcl-700-A.jpg

Well, I just finished off about 300 9mm's and some 38spl's this past Sunday on my favorite "Lee" Classic Turret press in a couple leisurely hours after Sunday dinner and while watching a good NASCAR race at 'Homestead Miami'. Well, as good as they get anymore ... Next to last 'playoff' race before the final championship event at Phoenix. Last 'playoff' event is next weekend at "Martinsville". It's always pretty intense being such a short track, but this being the last chance to qualify for the final will be even more so.

Oh yeh, the loads were 200 9mm's and 80 38spl's, with 20 357mag's. All once fired brass and no range pick ups. All the 9mm's were "Star-Line" once fired, the 38spl's were a mix of several, but all once fired, and believe it or not the 20 357mag's were a small batch left over from probably back in the late 1980's when I was shooting a lot of HP Silhouette competition. They were "Midway" brand brass which is typically what I used back in the day. Have no idea why I had set those few cases away, but found them in a small jar with the notation they were once fired.

Back to the press. My first experiences with reloading (early 1970's) was with a "Lee" hand tool for my 270 Win favorite hunting rifle. I loaded many rounds with that little hand tool over a lot of years. Even though I didn't shoot a lot of rifle comps in those days, I did shoot quite a lot for hunting, target shooting, and a few camp comps with my hunting buddies. But by far most of my loading was for hunting and target shooting.

Then I went big time when I got into NRA sanctioned silhouette comps. Somewhere in the mid 80's the wife and I together were shooting in the neighborhood of 12-15K rounds per year. The old hand tool just wasn't going to cut it anymore so I had to step up in equipment. I started with an old 3 hole "Lee" turret press back in the 80's and loved it's simplicity and 'fail safe' design. I can't even venture a guess how many rounds were loaded on that little press. Then there was time I tried 'batch' loading with a couple different single stage presses, and a couple times I even made the jump to a couple different fully progressive presses. I only remember one being a bright orange color that I bought, and don't even remember the other one's color that I borrowed, but never had a Dillon even though blue is my all time favorite color.

Still had and often used the little 3 hole turret "Lee" up till Dec 2018. We sold out, packed up, and moved to a retirement community I lovingly call the 'Institution'. (Oh yeh, there are some real inmates here) Upon making the move we had to severely reduce our treasures and trash, so I gave most of my guns, all my reloading equipment/tools/components to my yard son that he took back to ND with him.

I kept one safe, 6 long guns, and 10 handguns with sufficient ammo for any kind of ruckus that might occur. Then after the first year, I began to get the reloading itch again but with no tools/equipment I had to start from scratch and start buying again. My very first purchase was YEP, you guessed it, another "Lee" turret press. Although by this time the 4 holer had come about on a much more substantial frame and mechanism and the fourth hole for the much improved carbide "Factory Crimp" die rather than the combo bullet seating and taper crimp die. So, that's what I bought and would absolutely call my "FAVORITE RELOADING PRESS". jj

Well, I just finished off about 300 9mm's and some 38spl's this past Sunday on my favorite "Lee" Classic Turret press in a couple leisurely hours after Sunday dinner and while watching a good NASCAR race at 'Homestead Miami'. Well, as good as they get anymore ...
for me, i can't stand to watch NASCAR.

my favorite races to watch was the old, "stock car races" of the 1960's/1970's, with such drivers as Cale Yarborough, his brother Kyle??, Richard Petty, AJ Foyt and a few others of years gone by.

same with drag racing, gimme Cha-Cha Muldowney, Don Prudhomme, Dan Garlits.....and those of the past.

Formula 1 racing/Indy racing, with such drivers as Mario Andretti, Jackie Stewart, Swede Savage, etc...(Swede Savage died a horrific crash) i saw that race live on tv that day.......

if i got any of the names wrong, so be it, it's been that long, and i just wasn't going to sit here, looking them all up.

in the end..?

i could give 2 chips worth of care for ANY of todays races...drivers, race teams and owners......

the days of "shoe string" budgets, hard work, long hours in the garages, and dedication went by the way of, huge corporate sponsors, and money up the wa-zoo.........to a bunch of limp wristed cry babies.

my favorite races to watch was the old, "stock car races" of the 1960's/1970's, with such drivers as Cale Yarborough, his brother Kyle??, Richard Petty, AJ Foyt and a few others of years gone by.

same with drag racing, gimme Cha-Cha Muldowney, Don Prudhomme, Dan Garlits.....and those of the past.

Formula 1 racing/Indy racing, with such drivers as Mario Andretti, Jackie Stewart, Swede Savage, etc...(Swede Savage died a horrific crash) i saw that race live on tv that day.......

if i got any of the names wrong, so be it, it's been that long, and i just wasn't going to sit here, looking them all up.

in the end..?

i could give 2 chips worth of care for ANY of todays races...drivers, race teams and owners......

the days of "shoe string" budgets, hard work, long hours in the garages, and dedication went by the way of, huge corporate sponsors, and money up the wa-zoo.........to a bunch of limp wristed cry babies.

Yeah, like the rodeo. They ruined it. Who ever heard of teams in bull riding? And all the gear they wear it looks like they're going to play hockey.

in the end..?

Old_Me, I couldn't agree more with your assertion regarding the "old stock cars, etc". But like everything else where money is involved, it soon becomes commercialized. And still today I go to almost every local short track available and still running. You see I was born into it back in the day. My dad was a member of NASCAR back in 1947, in fact was at the original meeting when NASCAR was formed. At the time, he and many other real, hard core racers never thought it would amount to anything as an organized body and decided to sit out the original chartering of the organization, but joined then soon after. Old family stories are that I was born into and grew up cutting my teeth on a 9/16" wrench in the pits of short tracks all up and down the east coast for several years (he retired in early 1955), long before Daytona was even conceived. He did race on the old dirt beach/road course in south Daytona. That was all back in the days when they were still running several races a week all around local fairs, high school tracks, dirt tracks carved out of a farmers field, etc. He even raced on the original road course of NASCAR on the airport in Titusville, Florida. He was part of a small group of friends running together, and entering any/all races that paid a little money. After NASCAR was formed, groups like his were considered "outlaw racers". He and his group raced all up down the east coast two times a year, from Hialeah, Florida to Ft. Erie, Canada. They flat towed their cars, some even drove them, from event to event making a small living. So I've lived it from way before even Cale, Richard, etc. Dad actually raced against the Flock Bros, Ralph Earnhardt, Lee Petty and others well before NASCAR. Yep, I much prefer the old hard core stock car racing, even did a little myself in the early 70's, but today I take what I can get.

PS: Because of my deep roots in stock car racing, I never got involved in drag racing except where the technology and the old time mechanic's skills came into it. Did a little 'RED light to RED light' just to see how my ability to build a small block Chevy compared to some others. But even then not a lot of drag racing, especially street racing. I just never was excited by two cars lining up and flooring it in a straight line. I always felt it was more mechanical and less driver than 40-60 cars on a 1/4-3/8 mile oval beating and banging. I know some do and that's great, it just wasn't for me.

I have a Dillon Square Deal for 45 acp. I'll set it up for 9mm soon. I use a Rock Chucker for rifle. I have a Partner press strictly to de- prime brass.

I've only ever owned two presses, a (used) RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lee Progressive 1000. I got by on the RCBS for years but during the '80s I was shooting so much I decided to move up to a progressive. I'd have bought the Dillon Square Deal except it uses oddball-sized dies, which was a no-go for me. Price was right on the Lee 1000 and it gave me almost zero problems, after I learned to run it, and I reloaded tens of thousands of rounds of .45ACP and .38 Special on it. (I stayed with the RCBS for .44 Mag and 9mm, as I wasn't shooting enough of either to set up the Lee for them.) I can't say enough nice things about the Lee stuff--good performance at a great price.

Truth to tell, I haven't reloaded a round of anything since we moved into this house, which was 30 years ago this year. I still have all my reloading stuff but am overwhelmed by the "sticker shock" of today's component prices. Primers alone are going today for as much or more than it cost me to build an entire .45ACP reload back in the day. :oops: Fortunately I have a .22LR "understudy" for nearly all my centerfire guns, and I'm happy shooting them.

Went shooting with my new pastor yesterday and he mentioned he needs a press. I'm gonna give him my RCBS on "long term loan" until I need it back, which I told him, will most likely be never. After he's mastered that, he can have the Lee 1000 too, if he wants it. ;)

Old_Me, I couldn't agree more with your assertion regarding the "old stock cars, etc". But like everything else where money is involved, it soon becomes commercialized. And still today I go to almost every local short track available and still running. You see I was born into it back in the day. My dad was a member of NASCAR back in 1947, in fact was at the original meeting when NASCAR was formed. At the time, he and many other real, hard core racers never thought it would amount to anything as an organized body and decided to sit out the original chartering of the organization, but joined then soon after. Old family stories are that I was born into and grew up cutting my teeth on a 9/16" wrench in the pits of short tracks all up and down the east coast for several years (he retired in early 1955), long before Daytona was even conceived. He did race on the old dirt beach/road course in south Daytona. That was all back in the days when they were still running several races a week all around local fairs, high school tracks, dirt tracks carved out of a farmers field, etc. He even raced on the original road course of NASCAR on the airport in Titusville, Florida. He was part of a small group of friends running together, and entering any/all races that paid a little money. After NASCAR was formed, groups like his were considered "outlaw racers". He and his group raced all up down the east coast two times a year, from Hialeah, Florida to Ft. Erie, Canada. They flat towed their cars, some even drove them, from event to event making a small living. So I've lived it from way before even Cale, Richard, etc. Dad actually raced against the Flock Bros, Ralph Earnhardt, Lee Petty and others well before NASCAR. Yep, I much prefer the old hard core stock car racing, even did a little myself in the early 70's, but today I take what I can get.

PS: Because of my deep roots in stock car racing, I never got involved in drag racing except where the technology and the old time mechanic's skills came into it. Did a little 'RED light to RED light' just to see how my ability to build a small block Chevy compared to some others. But even then not a lot of drag racing, especially street racing. I just never was excited by two cars lining up and flooring it in a straight line. I always felt it was more mechanical and less driver than 40-60 cars on a 1/4-3/8 mile oval beating and banging. I know some do and that's great, it just wasn't for me.
We still have a dirt track here in Pevely, Mo., pretty near where I live. I've been watching "Stock car" races there my whole life. My dad used to be part of a pit crew for a driver named Billy Masters. I remember watching guys like Hammerle and Klein race every weekend. Good times.

Wasn't NASCAR original born out of moonshine runners ?

We still have a dirt track here in Pevely, Mo., pretty near where I live. I've been watching "Stock car" races there my whole life. My dad used to be part of a pit crew for a driver named Billy Masters. I remember watching guys like Hammerle and Klein race every weekend. Good times.

yes, moonshiners were the "inventors" or founders, of stock car racing

hopped up cars to out run the revenuers'...

Like most runners, Junior would run a Ford flathead V-8 in a '40 Ford with lots of modifications. “The revenuers didn't have any fast cars, so they'd do things like block a highway or a bridge,” Johnson says. They'd have these two cars coming at you. You had to figure out some way to turn around in a hurry.”

Well, actually the moonshiners/bootleggers were by far the most prevalent racers across most of the SE, but NASCAR was actually formed by a few (about 30+/- charter members if IIRC), dedicated racers but most without the moonshiner's reputations and legacies. Big Bill France, the actual founder was a visionary in the racing world and could see a big future in the sport if they could just clean it up some and develop a major and consistent schedule and following.

At the very beginning the moonshiners could only see a way to make quick money since they typically had the faster cars, even faster than the local pure racers. Many shied away from actually joining NASCAR in the very beginning since they were typically not the regulated, 'play by the rules' kind of guys. They would enter many NASCAR sanctioned races, take most of the money and go home to run a load of shine later that same Saturday night. But in a short time they began to see that the sanctioned events not only gave them an opportunity to race their faster cars, make some 'honest' money at it, but at the same time stay out of jail when/if they were caught running shine.

Many of them began to join up with NASCAR and began to run more race events and less alcohol. Obviously not all of them ... read the story of Jr Johnson ... "Last American Hero". One of the most prominent throwbacks from moonshiner to 'Hall of Fame' NASCAR driver/owner. Or his autobiography "Brave in Life". He was the best example of all the bootleggers who came into the sport and made good. He won 50 races during his stint behind the wheel and attributes his ability to the practice he got from running shine for his daddy from an early age of around 13 or so IIRC. Passed away in 2019 from Alzheimer's disease at 88 I think.

So yes, in the real world moonshiners are probably what made early NASCAR a success. Without them and what they brought to the events, there would not have been nearly the excitement that drew the fans. Remember before NASCAR, most races were just thrown together events run on high school tracks around the football field, a few dedicated dirt tracks, a farmers field plowed up in a big circle, or most often a short 1/8-1/4mi oval scratched out at local fairs, carnivals, etc, all run by a different 'fly by night' promoter. There was little to no scheduling so few dedicated followers/fans. And very hard to retain a regular bunch of racers to entice the fans because in those days there was so many race and track promoters who would wait till just before the pay window opened and during the last event of the day would run out with all the receipts of the day and nobody got paid. It was really bad early on in this particular sport and locations even though there was organized and sanctioned races up north and mid-west like primarily USAC Sprints and midgets. Even back then the Indy (actually before the name Indy car) guys were pretty well organized and covered.

But the SE redneck, country liquor runners were just getting started. Just look where it has come to today!!! Bill France put it all into motion to what it is now. Some good, some not so good, but it is what it is. He made it into a many, many million dollar industry and made millionaires of a lot of drivers and car owners. Back in the day, an early NASCAR beach/road course race (one of the biggest events of the day) might pay $100+/- to win. Today you can't buy a decent NASCAR approved race spectator seat for that. And more than that, back then you could actually have a monkey ride in the passenger seat while you were racing and call him your co-pilot. Read up a little on Monty Flock and see what I mean ... the monkey's name was 'Jocko'.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so long winded, but as I said I've been in and around it for a long, long time (born into it in 1947) and can tell some really interesting (to me at least) stories. Hope y'all enjoy. jj

Edit: Just thought I'd add for you wrench slingers how the real racers used to swap a Mercury 255ci flat head crank into a 239ci Ford flat head for longer stroke and higher compression. The Mercs had a 4" stroke and the Fords had a 3 3/4" stroke. The wrist pin in the Merc was a little higher on the rod too than the Ford. Remember we're talking about back in the early-mid 40's and a few into very early 50's. This was probably the most common 'cheat' back then because it was hard to prove without a tear down, and back then there was no such thing as a 'claimer race'. If you wanted to protest and see inside, you had to buy the motor and most who did it wouldn't sell. I've heard it said but can't verify that the best mechanics could actually hear the difference when the Merc cranks were used. I'm not one to doubt that. I've known some cracker jack mechanics on that old stuff. jj

Last edited:
I sold an RCBS Ammomaster about 15 years ago for $100 when I was poor. Regret that decision.

Currently own and use another RCBS.

While I would love to have a progressive press, I feel it would be too stressful for me. I like the slow, methodical way of a single-stage press. I slow down, and the world simply disappears while I focus on the repetitive motion of that lever swinging up and down. Good times.

I have been reloading for a bunch of years, I started with a cast aluminum Lee turret press, I was what I could afford. After a couple years I bought the lees Classic turret press. I still use it, it still produces quality rounds. I have done some upgrades, powder measure, locking rings, primer trays. I keep using it because it works for me. I see no reason to replace it. I can afford to reload most because I didn't spend a lot of money on a fancy press. All my dies are in there own turrets. when I want to reload a cartridge all I have to do is adjust the powder measure.

Load several pistol calibers & 5.56/223 & 308 on a pretty old Dillon XL 650. Used to shoot competition with 5.56 AR's and 308 with converted M1 Garand & M1A, pistol silhouette with Wichita unlimited 7-08 & Wichita 30-30. Shot 3 different revolvers in stock class, started out with S&W 57 41mag, Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag & S&W 29. Also shot black powder cartridge silhouette with 1874 Sharps in 45-70 & Winchester 1885 High wall in 40-65. Mostly used a Redding turret press for the 7-08, 30-30, 45-70 & 40-65. I quit competition in 1987, my work was too demanding, really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Load several pistol calibers & 5.56/223 & 308 on a pretty old Dillon XL 650. Used to shoot competition with 5.56 AR's and 308 with converted M1 Garand & M1A, pistol silhouette with Wichita unlimited 7-08 & Wichita 30-30. Shot 3 different revolvers in stock class, started out with S&W 57 41mag, Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag & S&W 29. Also shot black powder cartridge silhouette with 1874 Sharps in 45-70 & Winchester 1885 High wall in 40-65. Mostly used a Redding turret press for the 7-08, 30-30, 45-70 & 40-65. I quit competition in 1987, my work was too demanding, really enjoyed it.
i'm not seeing on Dillons website, where the 650 is still available anymore

it goes from the 550C, right up to the 750

i just ordered a lee six pack pro setup for 45acp with an inline bullet feeder for 45 and 9mm. it should be delivered today. I still have my square deal b which i love but figured I'd give this one a try. from the videos I've watched they have the primmer issue fixed and the inline bullet feeder looks like a winner.

i'm not seeing on Dillons website, where the 650 is still available anymore

it goes from the 550C, right up to the 750
You're right, the 650 is no more, replaced by the 750. My 650 is 20-25 years old. Over the years I've had to replace minor parts and it still works great.

Back