Votes: 4 16.7%
  • What's Covid-19

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I'm getting better at being cautious

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could upvote your comments 1000 times, I would. You are spot on LicensedToPill.
In my opinion, life will pretty much be the same until either a vaccine is created or a cure is developed. The Federal/State/Local governments have stepped in to try to "flatten the curve" so that hospitals and health staffs aren't overwhelmed by this virus, like what occurred during the 1918 Spanish flu, or is currently occurring in places like Italy and elsewhere (where people are left to die in hallways, etc., as there's no place to put them). So far no rights have been infringed (sure there are those that are trying, but for the most part have failed after people have pushed back on their efforts). The founders wanted a strong central government to act on the peoples behalf for such things as defense. Well I think this event would definitely fall in that category, as we are under attack from this virus. In Pa. where I live, the Governor Issued a mandatory stay in place for my county. He closed non essential businesses which include gun store. People pushed back, the State Supreme court ruled that he should change this decision and he did (though not publicly announced through his office, I guess to save face with the anti 2A crowd). Even with this shutdown, there are plenty of people out and for the most part, normal as can be.
The talk about mortality statistics won't be known until this virus has subsided somewhat. What are the total counts of those tested positive, how many had it, but were never tested, How many died from it. After these counts are verified and calculated, will the mortality rate be determined. It could be lower or higher than is currently specified (1-2%).
Like the 1918 Flu, our country recovered. The same will happen eventually after this virus subsides. This isn't the last Pandemic, and I agree that the government acted slowly and we could have been a bit more prepared, seeing what was happening in Wuhan and the rest of China. Yes, China didn't and still isn't giving accurate data, but you could see the spread which was similar initially to the Sars and Mers viruses which so far, have a much higher mortality rate.
I think one good thing that may come out of this, is the run on guns and ammo. If just a small minority feel having a gun and carry is important, it could add to our masses of pro 2A advocates.
BTW: I read an interesting article that the 40 caliber could make a comeback as stores are being wiped out of 9mm and 5.56 guns and ammo, but leaving the 40's alone. I saw this first hand looking for two Berettas recently at LGS (APX Compact 9mm (that 10mm bought :mad: ), and a compact 92X 9mm).The Beretta section that usually held 10-15 models, had 3 left (2 PX4 Storms and a 92FS), that were probably 40 cals. I also read that 40 bulk ammo seems to be still available and at fairly reasonable prices concerning the ammo situation. I have several 40 cal firearms (in fact I already owned a PX4 Storm in 40), and have over 1000 rds of 40 cal ammo.
LincesnedToPill, I just want to say that you, your profession and everyone in essential life sustaining jobs, are Rock Stars 🤩. You're all on the front lines and stand to get this virus at greater odds. I for one salute you and the others doing this. 👍🙋‍♂️😍
Thank you, brother! I truly appreciate it and your response as well. I wish you the best of luck through this situation.

If I could upvote your comments 1000 times, I would. You are spot on LicensedToPill.
In my opinion, life will pretty much be the same until either a vaccine is created or a cure is developed. The Federal/State/Local governments have stepped in to try to "flatten the curve" so that hospitals and health staffs aren't overwhelmed by this virus, like what occurred during the 1918 Spanish flu, or is currently occurring in places like Italy and elsewhere (where people are left to die in hallways, etc., as there's no place to put them). So far no rights have been infringed (sure there are those that are trying, but for the most part have failed after people have pushed back on their efforts). The founders wanted a strong central government to act on the peoples behalf for such things as defense. Well I think this event would definitely fall in that category, as we are under attack from this virus. In Pa. where I live, the Governor Issued a mandatory stay in place for my county. He closed non essential businesses which include gun store. People pushed back, the State Supreme court ruled that he should change this decision and he did (though not publicly announced through his office, I guess to save face with the anti 2A crowd). Even with this shutdown, there are plenty of people out and for the most part, normal as can be.
The talk about mortality statistics won't be known until this virus has subsided somewhat. What are the total counts of those tested positive, how many had it, but were never tested, How many died from it. After these counts are verified and calculated, will the mortality rate be determined. It could be lower or higher than is currently specified (1-2%).
Like the 1918 Flu, our country recovered. The same will happen eventually after this virus subsides. This isn't the last Pandemic, and I agree that the government acted slowly and we could have been a bit more prepared, seeing what was happening in Wuhan and the rest of China. Yes, China didn't and still isn't giving accurate data, but you could see the spread which was similar initially to the Sars and Mers viruses which so far, have a much higher mortality rate.
I think one good thing that may come out of this, is the run on guns and ammo. If just a small minority feel having a gun and carry is important, it could add to our masses of pro 2A advocates.
BTW: I read an interesting article that the 40 caliber could make a comeback as stores are being wiped out of 9mm and 5.56 guns and ammo, but leaving the 40's alone. I saw this first hand looking for two Berettas recently at LGS (APX Carry 9mm (that 10mm bought :mad: ), and a compact 92X 9mm).The Beretta section that usually held 10-15 models, had 3 left (2 PX4 Storms and a 92FS), that were probably 40 cals. I also read that 40 bulk ammo seems to be still available and at fairly reasonable prices concerning the ammo situation. I have several 40 cal firearms (in fact I already owned a PX4 Storm in 40), and have over 1000 rds of 40 cal ammo.
LincesnedToPill, I just want to say that you, your profession and everyone in essential life sustaining jobs, are Rock Stars 🤩. You're all on the front lines and stand to get this virus at greater odds. I for one salute you and the others doing this. 👍🙋‍♂️😍
Awesome write up on every level!

I voted yes . Being as I am one who is at very high risk , I have to take it serious. As many of you know , I am on oxygen 24/7 and only have about 40% of my lungs left due to smoking and welding for a living plus being around grain dust and all the dirt dust I have eaten while riding open cab tractors.

As far as change , I think some might learn to be better prepared by stocking up on daily needs items but not many will. People are to lazy in their thinking about being prepared . I learned a long time ago that a person needs a months supplies and a months worth of money to cover bills and groceries to be ready for a disaster.

Most people have never thought of the fact that most grocery stores are set up on a day rotation of supplies. Most people live paycheck to paycheck no matter how much they make per week or month as it may be.

I have limited my travels away from my apartment. Very limited contact with a few people . I will be heading out to the grocery store in a bit then back to my little apartment again for another week.

I hope everyone here stays safe and doesn't get sick.

I voted yes . Being as I am one who is at very high risk , I have to take it serious. As many of you know , I am on oxygen 24/7 and only have about 40% of my lungs left due to smoking and welding for a living plus being around grain dust and all the dirt dust I have eaten while riding open cab tractors.

As far as change , I think some might learn to be better prepared by stocking up on daily needs items but not many will. People are to lazy in their thinking about being prepared . I learned a long time ago that a person needs a months supplies and a months worth of money to cover bills and groceries to be ready for a disaster.

Most people have never thought of the fact that most grocery stores are set up on a day rotation of supplies. Most people live paycheck to paycheck no matter how much they make per week or month as it may be.

I have limited my travels away from my apartment. Very limited contact with a few people . I will be heading out to the grocery store in a bit then back to my little apartment again for another week.

I hope everyone here stays safe and doesn't get sick.
Agreed papa, nice write up and stay safe as well. I too am sticking close to home, only going to get my mail (they don't deliver), once or twice a week. Luckily I hit a bunch of food & warehouse stores before we even knew this was coming. I could probably go several weeks to a month, before heading back out for essential items. I, Like you, are in the high risk category, being over 60 with Diabetes. All we can do is sit tight and pray for the best.

Check out this video from Mat Best he's an veteran Army Ranger and now YouTube personality who put this song together to raise awareness for the Corona virus. Mat Best is part owner of black rifle coffee company which employ's mostly military vets and Mat has the utmost respect for first responders.

As a total Noob here, I doubt I will be around long. I am disabled with heart lung and stomach issues just to start. LOML of 44 years has some of the same problems as I do. Monday, before I woke up, she decided to got to the grocery. She started feeling ill yesterday, today she is running fever between 100-102. Today I have started feeling ill. Called the Dr. and was told to wait and see, we don't even have tests here in Louisville yet, nothing they can do anyway. Fever is the only symptom we can go by, we both have severe breathing issues anyway. So hello from Ky, and maybe goodbye. Dan

I think one big change after Corona is going to be a whole bunch of new babies being born in 9 months!
So much for social distancing. :rolleyes:
On a serious note, I think anyone that needs an MD appointment is going to be waiting a while because of the backlog. Manufacturing jobs and others will be backlogged, hopeful it will put a lot of folks back to work.

So much for social distancing. :rolleyes:
On a serious note, I think anyone that needs an MD appointment is going to be waiting a while because of the backlog. Manufacturing jobs and others will be backlogged, hopeful it will put a lot of folks back to work.
I try and remain optimistic with this situation still unfolding. We've implemented a lot of new protocols on our sites like hand wash stations and social distance measures. We won't even allow subcontractors on our sites if they car pool. These rules were handed down to us from the higher ups.

I try and remain optimistic with this situation still unfolding. We've implemented a lot of new protocols on our sites like hand wash stations and social distance measures. We won't even allow subcontractors on our sites if they car pool. These rules were handed down to us from the higher ups.
Hopefully we can all learn something from it that we will all carry with us moving forward. Hopefully it will improve us as a whole.

As a total Noob here, I doubt I will be around long. I am disabled with heart lung and stomach issues just to start. LOML of 44 years has some of the same problems as I do. Monday, before I woke up, she decided to got to the grocery. She started feeling ill yesterday, today she is running fever between 100-102. Today I have started feeling ill. Called the Dr. and was told to wait and see, we don't even have tests here in Louisville yet, nothing they can do anyway. Fever is the only symptom we can go by, we both have severe breathing issues anyway. So hello from Ky, and maybe goodbye. Dan
I pray and wish you the best of luck that you both beat this thing papadan. I was recently told by health officials that if I experienced any severe symptoms such as fever with Shortness of breath, to call 911 instead of trying to get tested. So that's an option for one or both of you if things get worse. I'm diabetic, over 60, and although I don't have any severe symptoms and most likely haven't been infected with this virus, I want to know the course of action I should take if I started feeling severely unwell.
Hang in there and stay strong papadan, we all look forward to you posting here that things are getting better for the both of you.

I am taking it serious more so for my family, small children. I am no MD or scientist but I feel if more people got tested the mortality rate would be lower which in turn would have this not as severe as it is. I’m not saying it isn’t bad, as this “form/type” however you want to put it, of coronavirus is new to us, although we have dealt with some type of a coronavirus in the past. I don’t like being by anyone that sneezes or coughs, regardless of something new or not. I agree, if your sick, stay home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back