testtest

EDC or RDC?

ScottJ

Professional
Founding Member
Although EDC has become the "go to" term for carrying, I may have to just use the acronym of RDC, as in Random Day Carry. There are a quite a few times when my travels/errands around town take me to where carrying is prohibited. Having to stop by my grandsons school for something, or an appointment at the hospital, or even going to the local mall, which has signage posted stating "No Firearms Permitted".

Granted, I have a lockable, cable-secured box in my vehicle, but sometimes one just opts to leave the firearm home in the safe. Anyone else find themselves in the RDC position more often than predominately EDC?

Sometimes. I went to the link below, and installed one of their products in my Tacoma opting for their 4 digit combo lock. I also have a lockable cable box, but the Console Vault is a lot more secure and hidden. My problem arises when I want to run multiple errands that includes stopping at the post office (I live on a deadend street and the Post Office doesn't deliver, so I must go there), and federal law prohibits firearms even in the parking lot (or so I've been told). There's a township park fairly close by that I sometimes park at and walk to the Post Office even though the park has signs "No Firearms Allowed". I ignore this, since local municipalities can't override my State's constitution which allows me to carry in public places (Don't get me started on how all these laws both federal, state, etc. infringe on the 2A). Other than the Post Office issue (where I have to make an unarmed separate trip most of the time), I'll ignore businesses that post "No Firearms" and plead ignorance on knowing their policy if caught (which has never happen, so my concealment must be OK ;)). If asked to leave, I will, as It's also their constitutional right to not allow firearms on the premises if it's privately owned.

I just put my pistol and spare magazine and 3" EDC knife into the glove box of my truck, and lock it up when I have to go somewhere like the court house that prohibits carry, or if I were to go to a public elementary school. Like BET7 I ignore signs at places like the movie theatres, stores, and such that post signs, as the worst they can do there would be to ask you to leave, and charge you with trespassing if you refuse to leave. Despite what some might think, other than LEO's and other people with tactical situational awareness training, most folk are just NOT looking at you as much as you think they are, and are not going to notice a concealed weapon if it there is light printing. The goal is no printing of course.

So, I am armed with either my XD-M Compact or Ruger LCP about 95% of the time that I am away from the house. The LCP in a pocket holster even goes with me to places like weddings and funerals, as it fits a suit pants pocket quite easily.

So I guess you can call me EDC, but what I carries varies depending on what I am wearing. Dress clothes or light summer wear - the LCP, and the knife if casual wear. If its winter or I can dress more casually and conceal it, the XD-M on the OWB holster most of the time. Still working on losing a few pounds to IWB carry, then it will be with me in more situations.

KNOW YOUR LAWS.

Many states, those "no firearms" signs do not carry force of law behind them.

Some states...they DO.

If you're ignoring those signs in a state where they do carry force of law, you can get more than "asked to leave". So, be aware of the local laws!

KNOW YOUR LAWS.

Many states, those "no firearms" signs do not carry force of law behind them.

Some states...they DO.

If you're ignoring those signs in a state where they do carry force of law, you can get more than "asked to leave". So, be aware of the local laws!

In Alabama, my research seems to indicate that they do not carry the force of law, but mean that you must leave if asked to leave by the owner of the property. If you are concealing properly, that should never happen.

Last edited:
I try to avoid going anywhere I can carry. If I have to go somewhere such as a government building I leave the gun at home. I don't like leaving a gun locked in a vehicle.

I'm the same way. Mine has two happy places to live - on my hip, or locked in my home safe. If I absolutely HAVE to, I have a safe that fits under the seat in the car, with a cable lock, and an RFID latch. Last resort.

Federal Buildings I secure the gun in my vehicle, work I leave gun at home (need the job to buy guns), my grandchildren's school limited, everywhere else carry

The lockable/cabled "box" I mentioned in my previous post is the Gunvault Nano 200. Fits well in the narrow storage area located under the rear seat of my 4 door F150. Key operated only, but I prefer that method.

Yeah ScottJ, I got one of those with cable wrapped around front passenger seat frame, placed in rear of my Tacoma. It just has enough room to slide under the front seat. Not sure if it's Gunvault, but it has 3 key tumbler combo lock to open. I still use it, but now use the Console Vault that I linked to in a previous comment. It's a lot more accessible to get to while sitting in the drivers seat and has 4 combo tumbler lock for security. They make them for numerous trucks and cars that have consoles, and in my case was extremely easy to install following their well written install instructions. It's bolted down for security and is hidden when the console lid is closed. I'm very impressed by it.

Yep, I saw the post about the console safe, and looks very convenient for quick access in that spot. I use the removeable tray in my center console to stow my wallet while driving, plus I keep a large Maglight flashlight in there, and other small items that I, my wife, and grandkids might come up with on occasion. I like the idea of the safe in that location though.

Yep, I saw the post about the console safe, and looks very convenient for quick access in that spot. I use the removeable tray in my center console to stow my wallet while driving, plus I keep a large Maglight flashlight in there, and other small items that I, my wife, and grandkids might come up with on occasion. I like the idea of the safe in that location though.
I still keep a lot of that stuff in my console. The safe hardly diminishes the console interior size at all. I just keep the 4 number tumbler set at my code, and only scramble them when I place my compact pistol (sometimes w/extra mags), in it. When not locked, I only have to open console lid, turn knob on safe & lift & can retrieve anything that's in there.

I still keep a lot of that stuff in my console. The safe hardly diminishes the console interior size at all. I just keep the 4 number tumbler set at my code, and only scramble them when I place my compact pistol (sometimes w/extra mags), in it. When not locked, I only have to open console lid, turn knob on safe & lift & can retrieve anything that's in there.
👍

Back