testtest

CCW with a 10mm

Way back in the old days Springfield Armory made a 10mm with a Peter Stahl slide and barrel on a model 70 bottom end with a 5 in. barrel if my old brain is retrieving accurate data today. I carried, hand loaded for, and shot that for a lot of years, but I was much younger then. Now I carry an EMP 4, 9 mm. My eldest grandson now has that 10mm pistol.

Check out the EAA witness compact it's decently sized 4.5in barrel that comes in 10mm. Beautiful gun for the money. I personally don't like to carry a full-sized pistol concealed unless it's in a chest rig which pretty much limits you to the winter jacket to adequately hide it.

Last edited:
I am 76 and now have 10mm lite [40 S&W] that I carry in a chest rig from an outfit in Alaska when I walk for exercise. I live in the middle of 80 wooded acres and have around 3 miles of UTV trails I maintain that we walk on. The 10mm is a great cartridge, much better than a 45 or 9mm especially if you hand load.

Another alternative would be the Glock G29 (10mm). I know it's not full size, but is in similar size to the G26 (9mm), G27 (40), and G30 (45). Double stack 10+1 capacity (takes the mags for G20 &G40 for more or just carry spare mags), and for me, easier to conceal than a full size.

I am 76 and now have 10mm lite [40 S&W] that I carry in a chest rig from an outfit in Alaska when I walk for exercise. I live in the middle of 80 wooded acres and have around 3 miles of UTV trails I maintain that we walk on. The 10mm is a great cartridge, much better than a 45 or 9mm especially if you hand load.
I was told by a gunsmith (who loves the 10mm) and read in some articles, that the vast amount of 10mm ammo sold is really just a bit more powerful than the 40 (kind of like 40p++). To get the real max power that the 10mm was intended for (some call it the true FBI loads that they tested with), it was mentioned to get 10mm ammo made by places like DoubleTap, Buffulo Bore, etc. Some of their top loads are said to be about the equivalent of a 41 magnum round (and I've read you can get the 10mm load up to 44 mag levels if you hand load).
Did you find that the commonly sold 10mm ammo was that much more powerful than the 40 you now carry? I shot both a common 10mm brand ammo (I currently forget the maker), and some of the more potent Buffulo Bore rounds in my Glock G40 and could definatly feel the difference in power/recoil between them. I'd be curious on your take on why you went back to the 40 (not that I'm saying you were wrong in your decision)

I was told by a gunsmith (who loves the 10mm) and read in some articles, that the vast amount of 10mm ammo sold is really just a bit more powerful than the 40 (kind of like 40p++). To get the real max power that the 10mm was intended for (some call it the true FBI loads that they tested with), it was mentioned to get 10mm ammo made by places like DoubleTap, Buffulo Bore, etc. Some of their top loads are said to be about the equivalent of a 41 magnum round (and I've read you can get the 10mm load up to 44 mag levels if you hand load).
Did you find that the commonly sold 10mm ammo was that much more powerful than the 40 you now carry? I shot both a common 10mm brand ammo (I currently forget the maker), and some of the more potent Buffulo Bore rounds in my Glock G40 and could definatly feel the difference in power/recoil between them. I'd be curious on your take on why you went back to the 40 (not that I'm saying you were wrong in your decision)
I am getting puny in my old age. I have osteo arthritis. My trusty bone doctor just told me today I may be looking at a right shoulder replacement. My Glock has a Lone Wolf ported barrel, stainlless guiderod, and 20 pound spring to take some of the thump out, and Advantage sights so I can see them, and a Taran tacticle 3.5 trigger so I am strong enough to pull it. Old age is a terrible thing. The plastic Glock is lighter also and if you have to chase it or climb mountains I now leave it alone.LOL!

Hey Roscoe, I couldn't directly reply to your recent reply to me (probably too large with the threads included). But I hear you brother. I'm getting arthritic fingers & have torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders that were helped immensely with Physical Therapy. My curse is that I still love the powerful handguns and rifles. But I know where you're coming from Roscoe, & it's only a matter of time before I probably join you. BTW, I'm envious of your 80 acres in Alaska. Always wanted to visit & would like to get 80+ acres here in Pa. to set up a personal outdoor range. Hope all goes well with your shoulder & overall health. I certainly know it's tough getting old. 👨‍⚕️

Another alternative would be the Glock G29 (10mm). I know it's not full size, but is in similar size to the G26 (9mm), G27 (40), and G30 (45). Double stack 10+1 capacity (takes the mags for G20 &G40 for more or just carry spare mags), and for me, easier to conceal than a full size.
How much of a handful to shoot is . that G29? It seems like a pretty small gun to be a 10mm...

How much of a handful to shoot is . that G29? It seems like a pretty small gun to be a 10mm...
I haven't yet shot it 308Lover. I shot the G40 both with "normal" and Buffalo Bore "hot" loads. I could tell the difference, but both were manageable in that gun. I shot .40+p in my glock G27, which wasn't bad, so I'm assuming it will maybe be a bit more that the G27 with normal 10mm loads. I don't know if I'll try the hot Buffalo Bore or Double Tap loads in it however.

A 50AE would be my go to if I would not have to undress when getting into a vehicle. My holster is uncomfortable when sitting, but a chest rig or shoulder holster would be nice. Not practical by any means. I love my 10mm xdm and my custom g20 and 40. Question! Who is uses fmjs for carry. If law enforcement would carry at least 1 mag it would be a plus for them! Most of what I have read has been more about physical condition and in my 50's working my way up or down the ladder on how one perceives it. Happy range day too all!

I have been handloading for over 35 years and my first loads had been 44 mag. If you seriously over pressure the 10mm up to 50 plus thousand then it might be 44 mag equal or maybe your talking about subsonic. By using Nosler 135jhp with a 6.61" barrel the muzzle energy is about 830 ftlbs. That could be lite load for 44 mag or just 44 spl. This is my load, not from Nosler load book.

Does anyone have quick load. I do and I will use load data from various manufacturers and some show serious over pressure. Sometimes by several thousands of pounds. There are also the other side of when it's a 2 to 4,000 lbs under pressure. I only use it for a starting point and not for total reliability. It does let me explore other powders. I wish you had primer options, especially magnum primers. By the way does anyone use magnum primers for their 296, h110 lil gun or other magnum type powders. When I use these powders I use magnum primers. Most load data shows large pistol, but not the use of lp magnums. I load 9mm, 357 sig, 40 smith, 10mm, 44 mag, 45 acp and 50 ae. I'm working on 5.7 x 28. If anyone needs or wants any help, I'll be glad to do so.

For those who choose to roll your own loads, get the heaviest bullet and load it to almost max. Then get 2 other lower weight bullets, ie 180, 165 and then something lower than that. Next get the muzzle energy of that one then load the next 2 with the same muzzle energy. The heavier 1 will have more recoil. I have done this for someone and they couldn't believe the difference in lower recoil of the higher velocity lower weight bullet. It makes no sense for leos to use heavier bullets, but to each is their own. The other good thing is less drop. I usually practice with my handguns 50 to 100 yards.

I haven't yet shot it 308Lover. I shot the G40 both with "normal" and Buffalo Bore "hot" loads. I could tell the difference, but both were manageable in that gun. I shot .40+p in my glock G27, which wasn't bad, so I'm assuming it will maybe be a bit more that the G27 with normal 10mm loads. I don't know if I'll try the hot Buffalo Bore or Double Tap loads in it however.
How about a 29c (c=ported).

A sub 10mm then what's next a sub 460 Rowland. Talk about pocket power.

I'm really considering carrying a full size weapon, I currently carry either a P365 or an XDS in .45. I do security at my church and in light of the recent shooting in Texas, I am really reconsidering my carry options to something that may be more accurate if a longer distance shot becomes necessary.
It's pretty sad to need security in a church, but the alternative would be to have bullet resistant glass and locked doors which goes against probably most church policies.

My First carry pistol about 40 years ago was a Colt 5" Govt. in .45 acp. I have never carried anything much smaller since. My ccw pistols included a 4" Taurus .357 Tracker, 4'" XD .45acp, and now a 4.5" 10mm XDM. I'm 5'11" tall and weigh 180. My guns disappear with the right holster and clothes. So Yes, if I can, you can carry full size too.

My First carry pistol about 40 years ago was a Colt 5" Govt. in .45 acp. I have never carried anything much smaller since. My ccw pistols included a 4" Taurus .357 Tracker, 4'" XD .45acp, and now a 4.5" 10mm XDM. I'm 5'11" tall and weigh 180. My guns disappear with the right holster and clothes. So Yes, if I can, you can carry full size too.
Dave I once thought that a 45acp was a terrible round, because I had an AMT a longside hardball. I shot 1,000 rounds in it and couldn't hit the dirt if I tried. Well almost true, but at the intended target at least. After I bought a g21 things changed for the good. The ergonomics was the problem.

A sub 10mm then what's next a sub 460 Rowland. Talk about pocket power.
Ha. Well I've read on a lot of forums, that quite a few carry the G29 and love it. To date, I haven't heard nor read, anyone stating it was too much gun to carry, so I figured I'd add it to my collection. ;)

Back