testtest

For discussion - what is it about Glock Culture.....?

I came for the minions.
giphy.gif

I don't have a Glock or want one. There are so many models and generations, I need a spreadsheet to figure them out. Trust me, I don't wanna know. They are more prolific than cockroaches and every mail order company has a crapload of doodads, accessories, sights, triggers, barrels, mags and dress up items. They kinda crowd out the other makers.
I don't buy the Glock Perfection schtick either, but if you really want to own one, go for it.
My 5 cents after adjusting for inflation. :cool:
I own a Glock 22, don't know why, haven't shot it in years. As far as I know they are dependable, maybe even accurate. It's been said many, many times, in this forum, life is too short to own an ugly pistol. I would guess that many police departments use them because they're usually the low bidder. I won't bad mouth a Glock owner, they're just not my cup of tea. To each his own.

Glock is the small block Chevy of the pistol world. Pretty damn good from the start, but everyone has something to improve it. Some things work, others skew toward the gimmick (or is that really necessary?) side.

They seem to benefit from an economy of scale unknown to other manufacturers. That leads many to believe that they must be the best since there are soooo many parts to upgrade them.

Glock also has the "cool kids" vibe working for them. Most all of us remember the peer pressure surrounding music we experienced growing up; you know, if you didn't think Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem were the best group ever you were out of touch and risked becoming a social outcast. To some degree, a lot of people are still there.

Took my 18 year old grandson to the range a while back. He desperately wanted to shoot a Glock, so we rented a 17 for him to shoot. I think he was disappointed, as it didn't perform magic when he pressed the trigger. I had a few other pistols with us and let him shoot those. He discovered for himself that there are many other pistols from other manufacturers that he likes better than Glock. When he is able to purchase his first, he will understand that there isn't a single best choice.

Getting back to the original topic....... :rolleyes:
Nope, I don't like Glocks at all. I've never owned one and likely never will. However, I have shot some and have tried to keep an open mind about them. Hmmmmmm, Nope, still don't like 'em. :rolleyes:
But then I am a die hard 1911 and Revolver guy. Plastic just don't suit my style.
I pretty much agree with the reasons listed. They are all pretty much the same and they are absolutely butt ugly. But I think it was the culture thing that really turns me off. When they first came out there was all the uproar about plastic, undetectable guns. Then they just sorta became the cool kids on the block. Until finally the true believers said everything else was junk. Perfection? Not hardly! But the fan boys sure believed it and never shut up. 🤬
No, I don't like 'em, but I also don't care what you choose to waste your money on either.

Nope, I don't like Glocks at all. I've never owned one and likely never will. However, I have shot some and have tried to keep an open mind about them. Hmmmmmm, Nope, still don't like 'em. :rolleyes:
But then I am a die hard 1911 and Revolver guy. Plastic just don't suit my style.
I pretty much agree with the reasons listed. They are all pretty much the same and they are absolutely butt ugly. But I think it was the culture thing that really turns me off. When they first came out there was all the uproar about plastic, undetectable guns. Then they just sorta became the cool kids on the block. Until finally the true believers said everything else was junk. Perfection? Not hardly! But the fan boys sure believed it and never shut up. 🤬
No, I don't like 'em, but I also don't care what you choose to waste your money on either.
No one forced you to read it.

The Glock Culture has come about because it’s a Glock world.
Glocks are everywhere.

Ask a gunshop what sells, and they will say Sig P365s and Glocks. A Glock has been the first, and often the only, gun of a huge amount of people. They’ve owned the LE market for maybe three decades. There is an entire generation of shooters (at least) who have known Glock as the standard to go by.

They are everywhere.

Using anything other than a Glock has become an oddity. It’s almost like learning of someone in the old west who did not prefer the Colt Single Action Army.

With all of this in mind, when someone chooses something other than a Glock, they stand out. A non-Glock user has become almost a curiosity. What is often the reaction when people learn you don’t carry one?

“Well, what DO you carry?”

Think about that. They sound bewildered. Their real but unspoken question is “Why?” Why would you want to choose anything else? I don’t think it’s because they take offense to it, but more a reaction of genuine surprise you don’t go with the standard.

I have owned ten different Glocks (eight different models) over the years but have none now. Some I had for many years, and others only briefly. As one can tell by that number, I tried to use them. I gave them more than a fair chance.

The primary reasons I moved on are that I don’t like the grip, and I don’t like their cross section for carrying IWB. IMO, there are too many guns that are a lot better on both counts. I feel these are pretty valid reasons for choosing something else.

Some people hear that and nod. Members of the Glock Culture hear this, and they seem to accept it, but I can still see that bit of doubt in their eye. The “I guess he doesn’t get it” look.
Maybe what I’m seeing is some lingering look of surprise from learning that I don’t choose Glock.

Or maybe it IS that I don’t get it.

The Glock Culture has come about because it’s a Glock world.
Glocks are everywhere.

Ask a gunshop what sells, and they will say Sig P365s and Glocks. A Glock has been the first, and often the only, gun of a huge amount of people. They’ve owned the LE market for maybe three decades. There is an entire generation of shooters (at least) who have known Glock as the standard to go by.

They are everywhere.

Using anything other than a Glock has become an oddity. It’s almost like learning of someone in the old west who did not prefer the Colt Single Action Army.

With all of this in mind, when someone chooses something other than a Glock, they stand out. A non-Glock user has become almost a curiosity. What is often the reaction when people learn you don’t carry one?

“Well, what DO you carry?”

Think about that. They sound bewildered. Their real but unspoken question is “Why?” Why would you want to choose anything else? I don’t think it’s because they take offense to it, but more a reaction of genuine surprise you don’t go with the standard.

I have owned ten different Glocks (eight different models) over the years but have none now. Some I had for many years, and others only briefly. As one can tell by that number, I tried to use them. I gave them more than a fair chance.

The primary reasons I moved on are that I don’t like the grip, and I don’t like their cross section for carrying IWB. IMO, there are too many guns that are a lot better on both counts. I feel these are pretty valid reasons for choosing something else.

Some people hear that and nod. Members of the Glock Culture hear this, and they seem to accept it, but I can still see that bit of doubt in their eye. The “I guess he doesn’t get it” look.
Maybe what I’m seeing is some lingering look of surprise from learning that I don’t choose Glock.

Or maybe it IS that I don’t get it.
Honestly most of the guys I know have Glocks, but that isn't what they're carrying or training with anymore. There's a group of crayon eaters I know who all work at the gun shop at the top of the hill who are carrying Shadow Systems with the 1911 grip modules. Most of the rest of the cops and military guys I know carry Sigs.

This seems to be one of the most authentic and objective gun forums I frequent - so here goes -

Interested in your thoughts on the points in the video as well as the whole "Glock Culture" thing.

I posted the video below to a private facebook gun group I'm in.

I think the dude makes some great points of Glock criticism that should be able to be discussed objectively.

I got accused of "bashing" Glock.
Was told - Why do you need to bash Glock in order to feel better about owning Sigs? (I own a glock 19, 1 P320, Sig P226/9s, 2 PDPs. 2 FNs, 1 Staccato P, 2 P365XLs - clearly not a Team sig guy here)

The replies and sh*t I received was exactly the point 3 made by the guy in the video.

Also I think he's dead on with point 6. I don't think the 43X is a micro compact. While "micro" is a marketing term with little defined dimensions/characteristics - I think a true micro has all the following - grip in which most adults cannot get their pinky on; mag capacity in that grip of 10-13; and approx 1" narrow. The 43X meets one of those. I think the 43X and 48 are single stack compacts really. (NOT even saying the 43X is a bad choice or firearm.) .......and just to continue my rant further - I think the glock bias in the 2A community - because it has to have some glock on the list of "Best micro" - the 43X is called a "micro" when it really is not.

P365, Hellcat, FN 503, S&W CSX, Taurus G4X, etc, .....maybe the Glock 43 - but not the 43X IMO - too tall.

I got sh*t for that in the discussion.

Overwhelmingly the replies were proving exactly point 3 in the video. :)

Is Glock the only firearm, that when criticized gets this kind of reaction? (again point 3 made in the video)

My post -
"Top 6 reasons why people are getting rid of Glocks -
Interesting points - watch video for more elaboration.
1. No Innovation.
2.. Ugly
3. The Glock culture
4. Plastic
5. No thumb safety
6. They don't make a micro compact.

Not sure of the "getting rid of" part - but maybe these are reasons folks go with non-Glock options.

Does he have a point on each of these 6?"

i had to review the video again...he mentions that millions of "NEW gun people" bought the Glocks under advice from friends and relatives"...(i may have even mentioned that last night myself)

there you have it, people that took advice, rather than to go and rent one and try it out...BEFORE buying.

now too, there may be ranges out there that simply do not have rentals available..

well then, did the people "advising to buy the Glock", ever take thier friends/relatives to a range and have them shoot thiers..???

if not, then the buyer, bought the gun blindly, and is solely responsible for the out come, not GLock, not H&K, or Hi Point, of whatever else.

as i signed off last night, this is what made me wonder, the buyer, was it a first timer or experienced buyer?

frankly, i thought first time buyer.

and the video proved that in about the first few minutes of the video (just past the paid ad)

so what this means is that the millions of new Glock sales that had returns, were from newbies, dissatisfied with the gun.

would the numbers of returns be the same for a CZ, 1911, H&K, Canik, Beretta, how about a revolver with a trigger pull of about 15 pounds..???.....and others..??

i think the numbers would be high as well, as when people don't try on the pants before they buy them, and just take them home, and cannot get the zipper to zip up.......they return the pants, all cuz they were lacking going into the fitting room,, BEFORE buying.

you gotta advise a newbie to try yours, or rent one out first, rent several guns first, then buy what fits, and works best for you.

i think those "6 top reasons" for returning a Glock are a cop out to a lack of time renting.

I was looking at a a Glock a while back and my mind said tell the guy what you would give for it. i did, he said no. my mind said again, make him a better offer so i did and he said yes. so i added another Glock to the pen. G21 Gen5 45 auto. Course it's no where near as beautiful as my Hi Point and certainly not even close to quality as it. but since there are none to be found, the Glock will have to do.

20240314_140924.jpg
20240314_140348.jpg

I was looking at a a Glock a while back and my mind said tell the guy what you would give for it. i did, he said no. my mind said again, make him a better offer so i did and he said yes. so i added another Glock to the pen. G21 Gen5 45 auto. Course it's no where near as beautiful as my Hi Point and certainly not even close to quality as it. but since there are none to be found, the Glock will have to do.

View attachment 54140View attachment 54141
i had a G21 and liked it..but it had to go, for reasons many of us let them go.

Well for one nothing is uglier the any Kel-Tec, and when I buy a gun, I am not wasting my money if I choose to purchase a Glock, to each there own on what they like or not like.

It certainly appears there's a tremendous amount of "groupthink" when it comes to Glocks. I heard one YouTuber make the statement that "everyone shoots better with a Glock". In my case, that's undiluted bovine fecal matter. I suspect I am not alone here.

I am unable to find an unmodified Glock that I shoot anywhere nearly as well as my XDm, Echelon or Jericho. I doubt that their .22LR offering can top my Walther or SW in accuracy or reliability. These results aren't merely speculation, I have tried to find a Glock I shoot well.

Shot the smallest Glock when looking for a primary EDC. Side to side, it was obvious that Sig works better for me. At the range yesterday a friend was stunned by the groups my P938 is capable of.

Wish I were the one to suggest that Glock cultists are like liberals. Yep, they certainly don't seem to be able to comprehend why you disagree with them and aren't interested in hearing your reasoning. Because, you are wrong.

Back