testtest

Canik TP9 Elite SC

Mountain Man

Elite
Founding Member
So I'm looking for a handgun my wife can use for CC. But she doesn't want me to spend more than $500 for her. I came across a Canik TP9 Elite SC. I've never heard of it before sho I did some reading and looked up some tube of you videos for reviews. From what I've seen and read it's a good gun at a $430 price.
She has the wide hips to even conceal my full size XD Mod2.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Fired a few Canik’s.
Not a fan due to “loose” tension between parts.
I have personally had 2 Canik 9mm’s jam. A new one I rented from the range and the range officers gun letting me shoot saying how wonderful they were. Now, every gun can jam for any number of reasons, even my own, but for 2 separate guns to jam on first mags, was not a great first impression.
I prefer to buy “slightly used” guns from a favorite maker versus a new gun from a “budget” maker if on a particular budget.
My .02 cents

So I'm looking for a handgun my wife can use for CC. But she doesn't want me to spend more than $500 for her. I came across a Canik TP9 Elite SC. I've never heard of it before sho I did some reading and looked up some tube of you videos for reviews. From what I've seen and read it's a good gun at a $430 price.
She has the wide hips to even conceal my full size XD Mod2.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
I have two suggestions, the Taurus G2C 9mm or the Taurus G3 9mm. Both are around $250.00, sometimes less depending on where you buy them. I bought the FDE G2C 9mm with the 3.2 inch barrel, standard mag holds 12 rounds. The Taurus G3 9mm is quickly becoming one of my favorite 9mm handguns I've ever owned. I bought the gray/black version, it holds 17 rounds, or 15 rounds depending on which mag you use. I've been wailing on both of these handguns at the range the last few months, bought both of them in April of this year. I've yet to have a FTE or FTF using a whole lot of different kinds of ammo. As of this last weekend, I'm up to around 700 rounds thru the G3 and around 500 rounds thru the G2C. So far, I really don't have anything bad to report on either handgun. I replaced the stock sights on both pistols with Lakeline LLC fiber optic sights and that's the only modification I've done, otherwise they are both stock. The G2C is very concealable and the G3 really isn't that much harder to conceal with a 4-inch barrel. Anyway, these are the first two Taurus handguns I've ever purchased and so far the "budget" term I've seen applied to these is just that. As far as performance, the G3 is every bit as accurate as my Glock 17 or any other 9mm I've shot or owned in the past. The recoil is negligible on both pistols, the G2C absorbs the recoil very well as does the G3. I recently used the G3 on my enhanced concealed carry course and hit 50 out of 50 with it with no issues whatsoever. If you get a chance to check one out, I highly recommend either handgun for CC.

Put a laser on the XDs. I have a Viridian Reactor5 instant-on green laser on my XDs 9mm, with an IWB holster from Alien that accomodates the laser. Draw, the laser lights automatically. Place dot, pull trigger, make hole.

I only have good things to say about canik. I'm closing in on 1,000 rounds through my tp9sfx and I've yet to have a failure of any kind. I've ran everything from 147, 124 and lots of cheap 115 grain ammunition and it cycles all of them. The trigger is almost as nice as my 1911 too.

To get a descent RMR sight, you’re looking at minimum $150, but typically $200-$400, so you will be well over $500. I definitely understand the want for an RMR sight, especially those who have trouble with their vision. I don’t know how much range time you guys plan on investing in, but I would focus on iron sights (I would upgrade to tritium night sights), and have your wife practice “point shooting.” Typically, in most self-defense situations, you don’t have time to get both hands perfectly on your pistol, get in your preferred stance, line up your sights on the threat, and shoot. Most of the time, the entire situation is over in a matter of seconds. I practice with iron sights all the time, but I make sure I spend at least 1/3rd of my range time “point shooting,” because the reality is, I will most likely not have time to line up my sights in a life or death situation (I’m not saying this is always true, just typically true). I have a red dot on my Mossberg 500, which I practice with all the time. I also practice with it off, and practice “point shooting” with it as well. I think people can get really hung up on sights. Based on statistics, most self-defense situations involve “point shooting,” and they occur in low light, which is why I have night sights (in the off chance I do have the ability to line up my sights). Just my $0.02.

I recommend them too. But she wants one that has optic cut for it. I told her she has to master the irons before she gets an optic.
Well if you are going to end up getting one that's optic ready, then just go ahead and buy it. I recommend the XDm Elite 4.5 OSP. But if you want one cheaper, get a standard XDm OSP. Yes you might spend more than $500. But long term worth the money. And she can learn iron sights then drop the red dot on it.

My daughter just acquired a Canik Tp9sf Elite as her first handgun. We took it out to the range earlier this week. It handled very well with no issues and came in at $325 at our LGS. I also got a chance to shoot my newly acquired SA Xdm Elite. Also shot my new Fn509 for first time. She said the Canik felt great in her hand. At 7yds, it was dead on and this will be for home defense until she gets her CCW.

My daughter just acquired a Canik Tp9sf Elite as her first handgun. We took it out to the range earlier this week. It handled very well with no issues and came in at $325 at our LGS. I also got a chance to shoot my newly acquired SA Xdm Elite. Also shot my new Fn509 for first time. She said the Canik felt great in her hand. At 7yds, it was dead on and this will be for home defense until she gets her CCW.
That's the key. If she shoots well with it and it's comfortable for her, then it will be a great defense pistol. Canik makes some good pistols, reliable with sweet triggers.

Back