testtest

Best 6 Handguns for Bear Country

The woman back in the '50s in Canada killed a bear with a 22lr, but knew where to shoot it. 45lc was on there, but not a 500s&w? No bears or cougars where I live. Most danger is a rattlesnake. The coyotes and bobcats aren't a bother. Before cell phones I had a 3 mile walk home on a moonless night and my only worry were the snakes. Didn't have a flashlight either.

The woman back in the '50s in Canada killed a bear with a 22lr, but knew where to shoot it. 45lc was on there, but not a 500s&w? No bears or cougars where I live. Most danger is a rattlesnake. The coyotes and bobcats aren't a bother. Before cell phones I had a 3 mile walk home on a moonless night and my only worry were the snakes. Didn't have a flashlight either.
Killed a rattlesnake at night on the game trail this last week end looking for hogs. I was not a happy camper

I have a few on the list (Ruger 7.5" bbl 454 Casull Super Redhawk, (Although not on the list), a S&W 7.5" bbl Stealth Hunter 629 44 Magnum, and the Glocks G20 and G40 MOS 10mms). The 460 Rowland Conversion for my Glock G21 sounds interesting. I may have to look more into this one. :sneaky:

Edit: Oh, and I'm still looking for the S&W 500 that I can't find locally at least. 🙁

surprised there is not a Springfield 10mm on the list. That is a nice bear gun.

Not if you look at the ballistics towards the end of that article. The 10mm is down at 735 ft/lb's of muzzle energy - the 454 Casull is up around 1700-1800, and the 460 is up to 2800. HUGE difference in penetration on a large critter with a thicker hide than any human you will face.

Not if you look at the ballistics towards the end of that article. The 10mm is down at 735 ft/lb's of muzzle energy - the 454 Casull is up around 1700-1800, and the 460 is up to 2800. HUGE difference in penetration on a large critter with a thicker hide than any human you will face.
Easy there on the 10mm...
ADBEF372-AC7B-4BF0-88A6-67ACAF010DA6.gif

Agreed that the 10mm doesn't pack the energy of the Casull or 460, but depending on the 10mm ammunition selected you may be able to get up to the 1000 ft/lb's of energy.
As an example, below is a link to Buffalo Bore's 10mm Hard cast ammunition with chart below. As the disclaimer indicates, the chart depends on one knowing their individual handgun muzzle velocity to match up to their chart (they use 1500 fps for their chart statistics).

Agreed that the 10mm doesn't pack the energy of the Casull or 460, but depending on the 10mm ammunition selected you may be able to get up to the 1000 ft/lb's of energy.
As an example, below is a link to Buffalo Bore's 10mm Hard cast ammunition with chart below. As the disclaimer indicates, the chart depends on one knowing their individual handgun muzzle velocity to match up to their chart (they use 1500 fps for their chart statistics).

That ammo would put 10mm in a respectable 4th place behind .460 S&W (2800) .454 Casull (1800) and .44 Magnum (1400). I doubt you will find many automatic cartridges any better than the 10mm, that much is sure.

My advice in all cases is to avoid grizzly and polar bears... the black bears in this part of the country can be chased off with a 22LR or pellet gun in most cases.

That ammo would put 10mm in a respectable 4th place behind .460 S&W (2800) .454 Casull (1800) and .44 Magnum (1400). I doubt you will find many automatic cartridges any better than the 10mm, that much is sure.

My advice in all cases is to avoid grizzly and polar bears... the black bears in this part of the country can be chased off with a 22LR or pellet gun in most cases.
Copy That, on avoiding grizzly and polar bears for sure jfmorris. I'd add to the "22LR or Pellet gun" example by including the use of a remote to close a detached garage door when a 300+ black bear was thinking seriously of checking inside. As the noise of the door shutting started, Mr. Bear jumped a 3 foot stone retaining wall and was half way across the neighbors yard as the door started on its downward motion. I was impressed something that large could move so quickly.

I’ll take a 10mm that I can actually shoot and dump the mag into the bear rapidly vs a hand cannon that i can barely manage and shoot one round before I break my wrist or be looking at sky from the recoil
After 20 rounds of shooting my Super Redhawk wearing shooting gloves no less, I was done for the day. I must be getting too old 👨‍🦳, for "this" stuff, but I sure do like firing Hand cannons and the like. 😍🤣🤣

Back