testtest

Hand gun preference

You Handgun Preference

• Revolver

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Pistol

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
I like and have a significant amount of both, so this is a difficult choice. I wouldn't carry a revolver for most the the reasons listed in this thread (capacity, concealment, etc). But the revolvers (mine are at the higher end of the caliber spectrum), are very fun to shoot.

Its hard to go wrong with either one for daily carry. 💪🏻 The important thing is that you’re armed, and know how to capitalize on the strengths of your sidearm.
D168AF44-701E-4091-8AAC-70FD8CB9221E.jpeg

Pistol
Pros: faster reloads, higher capacity, better sights, accessory rail, more available chamberings
Cons: more parts to fail, more complicated to operate, most have no "mechanical" safety

Revolvers
Pros: simple operation, safer DA trigger
Cons: lower capacity, slower reloads (for me at least), snubbies not that accurate

I'm sure there are exceptions or additions to the reasons I listed. Just generally speaking.

That being said, my holstered EDC is a Walther PPS 9mm pistol w/extra mag (car trips) or I carry a Colt Det. Spcl .38 revolver w/speedloader in a pocket sleeve when walking the dog or working in the yard (quick grab & go).
Due to some of the cons you list in the pistol category, it's exactly what I've read/heard is the opinion on why to carry/use a revolver as a sidearm in Alaska. The thoughts of many there state that revolvers are less likely to fail in the freezing temps and conditions one finds in the "last great frontier" known as Alaska.

I was weaned on a wheel gun. Wife loves 38.... Granddaughter loves a 38.....
I think a lot of folks feel safer with a wheel gun in that it's not going to shoot on it's own.
Wife as many when Arthur visits have serious issues racking. It's tough seeing her struggle with the slide.
She also has trouble cocking the hammer on a 38. But she can double finger it in DA fine. Wife would carry
the Super BH as that's her favorite over the years if she could.
I graduated to a SR40 and was not happy with the performance. Moved to a Glock 23, happiness.
Now I carry a Glock 32 in the shoulder. At times backup with the SP101 on the belt.
My choice is the Auto..... the other two gals in my life the wheel gun.

I favor the pistol for its higher capacity.

That said, I love the colder months because I get to shove an extra gun in the pocket of my outerwear - and that's a revolver, simply because it doesn't bind up when I decide to shoot through.

ThreeTangoPocket.jpg

This was in late fall of 2011 (the sadly now defunct Three Tango Firearms Academy, headed by the late Bill Holcomb) - a hot and humid day as only late fall in NE-Ohio can get....that sweat line on my favorite ballcap? Yeah, that wasn't there at the beginning of that day!

I believe this picture was me trying to make sense of what happened to my Kahr PM9 after I tried shooting through the handwarmer pockets of my shrunken sweatshirt from undergrad.

After that class, I went out and bought my first wheel-gun. :)

Last edited:
Revolvers can fail as well as semi-autos can, although I think they are not as likely because there are fewer moving parts. By the way, when I was growing up, a "pistol" could be either a semi-auto or a revolver. Now, a pistol is a semi-auto and a revolver is a revolver. Maybe that changed when folks started changing the way they pronounce harassment. :) That being said, I like both. A revolver (S&W Airweight) is much easier to just pick up on your way out the door and shove in your pants pocket. I understand the lack of capacity (only 5 rounds) and the .38 Spcl. +P may not be as effective at stopping a threat as a 9mm, but the convenience factor favors the Airweight. And, I saw a video on Hickock 45's site where he was hitting a metal target with an Airweight snubby at 80 yards. Check it out!

^ Yup, exactly.

That first shot is almost always a viable one - unless, of-course, that under the stress of the situation that you're shoving that gun forward in the pocket (or pocket holster) so much that you're taking the slide out-of-battery.....

But follow-up shots become much more of a gamble. There's all sorts of possibilities which can foul the action that can prevent a successful follow-up.

Revolvers can fail as well as semi-autos can, although I think they are not as likely because there are fewer moving parts. By the way, when I was growing up, a "pistol" could be either a semi-auto or a revolver. Now, a pistol is a semi-auto and a revolver is a revolver. Maybe that changed when folks started changing the way they pronounce harassment. :) That being said, I like both. A revolver (S&W Airweight) is much easier to just pick up on your way out the door and shove in your pants pocket. I understand the lack of capacity (only 5 rounds) and the .38 Spcl. +P may not be as effective at stopping a threat as a 9mm, but the convenience factor favors the Airweight. And, I saw a video on Hickock 45's site where he was hitting a metal target with an Airweight snubby at 80 yards. Check it out!
I think that guy could hit a metal target 80 yards away by just throwing a rock at it.

Back