testtest

Hand gun preference

You Handgun Preference

• Revolver

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Pistol

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
I prefer a pistol for conceilability and capacity.
Wheel gunner most of my life and I totally agree with you. Goodness though I love shooting them. But the 5 or 6 rounds is a stumbling block. Have the same problem with my 1911, so few rounds.

Wheel gunner most of my life and I totally agree with you. Goodness though I love shooting them. But the 5 or 6 rounds is a stumbling block. Have the same problem with my 1911, so few rounds.
I went with a Springfield MOD-2 9mm compact, but wife hasn't warmed up to it so the Smith&Wesson model 36 has not gone to full retirement yet..

I went with a Springfield MOD-2 9mm compact, but wife hasn't warmed up to it so the Smith&Wesson model 36 has not gone to full retirement yet..
As my wife won't give up a wheel gun either. Couple things to note..... never ever had a fail to feed with a wheel gun. Never had a stove pipe with a wheel gun. Maybe the gals are right again!!

I prefer to carry a semi-auto, easier reloads, can carry more ammo. I guess I got frustrated when they made us qualify with a .38 when I was in the air force.

I prefer to carry a semi-auto, easier reloads, can carry more ammo. I guess I got frustrated when they made us qualify with a .38 when I was in the air force.
I didn't mind, I was a died in the wool wheel gunner at the time so it was no big deal to me.
If you haven't had any experience with the autos, not missing anything.

I didn't mind, I was a died in the wool wheel gunner at the time so it was no big deal to me.
If you haven't had any experience with the autos, not missing anything.
I think it was mostly because unless you were Security Police you didn't get speed loaders.

Come on! We can too. If you roll 50 games a day, every day, you most likely will be a pro bowler. If you throw a couple thousand down range a day, everyday, you can be a champion shooter. Problem is we don't care to be that dedicated.

^ Not just throw mass quantities of balls or rounds downrange, but to do so conscientiously: practice does not make perfect - perfect practice makes perfect. :)

OOOPS! Silly me.... I kind of thought it would be understood that you have to have your heart and soul in it.
Yes, we need perfect practice and I have found that if I'm having a bad day I need to shake it off, go home, and come back tomorrow. I don't do any better when I become frustrated with myself. I get frustrated because I know I'm capable of much better.
I do have one gripe with practice. Can never duplicate the real world. As much as one tries, still know it's not real, nobody is in jeopardy. Same way flying the simulator. Crash, no big deal. Reset, go again.
We all must hit the range and do it as often as possible to be the best we can.

Love Alaska! My youngest son moved to Fairbanks when he turned 19 and he lived there for 4 or 5 years. Spent a week up there visiting (early Aug) and loved every minute of it. I must admit that your body clock gets way out of whack when you only have 3 hrs/day of "almost dark". He said the winters are the worst when it's 3 hrs/day of "almost daylight" and it's -30deg (no wind chill). He got so sick of the depressing winters that he now lives in Hilo, Hawaii. Really looking forward to my next visit!
My son has been in Alaska for about fifteen years. He drives double trailer semi year round. I have spent a bit of time there too. Alaskans do like their revolvers but a lot also carry semi-auto pistols. The 10 mm is well liked as is the 44 Mag. I prefer the large caliber revolvers myself there but have carried 10 mm. I prefer to travel there between May and October. I get enough cold and snow for me in Michigan. :LOL:

OOOPS! Silly me.... I kind of thought it would be understood that you have to have your heart and soul in it.

(y)

Yes, we need perfect practice and I have found that if I'm having a bad day I need to shake it off, go home, and come back tomorrow. I don't do any better when I become frustrated with myself. I get frustrated because I know I'm capable of much better.

This was my problem when I first started: I thought it was just a matter of time-on-task and rounds downrange.

By the time I attended my first class, I already had around ten thousand rounds downrange in self-guided practice. I'd literally take a case of 9mm and burn away an entire day on the range. I didn't understand that as I grew tired during those sessions, peaked and then fell off the back end, that I was actually starting to mix bad practices with the good, and that it was actually counterproductive.

I do have one gripe with practice. Can never duplicate the real world. As much as one tries, still know it's not real, nobody is in jeopardy. Same way flying the simulator. Crash, no big deal. Reset, go again.

Agreed.

Even force-on-force, some part of us knows that it's not real. Frequent-flier students can often be tempted to game scenarios in their attempt to "win," when the actual objective should be about learning.

I think that this is really the "mindfulness" part of the game.

Instructors really need to drive through this point to students - and we need to do it to ourselves during practice, too - that we have to mentally be engaged with what we're doing. In force-on-force, we need to play the scenario as close to our reality as possible, and on the flat range, we should look at that piece of cardboard/paper as though it is an actual living threat, trying to do us harm.

Back