testtest

Ruger AR pistol 5.56

I bought a Ruger AR pistol 5.56 nato today. It has a 10.5 in barrel is it legal to install a shorter barrel on it.
Congrats on the new toy...😁👍

Just don't put a stock or fore grip on the pistol and you have nothing to worry about from a legal standpoint. I personally wouldn't put a shorter barrel on a 5.56 gun and if you go shorter then 10in you are really jeopardizing your power potential. I would recommend a .300blk upper if you go shorter because .300blk can use a shorter barrel and still maintain most of it's power. A shorter barrel 5.56 has a lot louder bang and flash associated with it also.

Congrats on the new toy...😁👍

Just don't put a stock or fore grip on the pistol and you have nothing to worry about from a legal standpoint. I personally wouldn't put a shorter barrel on a 5.56 gun and if you go shorter then 10in you are really jeopardizing your power potential. I would recommend a .300blk upper if you go shorter because .300blk can use a shorter barrel and still maintain most of it's power. A shorter barrel 5.56 has a lot louder bang and flash associated with it also.
I didn't want to because of the power burning. I was talking to the salesman and he told me that I can't change anything on the gun because of the laws. I want to get a 300blk for my house gun just can't find one now. I'm thinking about the lazer/handstop on it and a light, that all I'm going to do to it.

I didn't want to because of the power burning. I was talking to the salesman and he told me that I can't change anything on the gun because of the laws. I want to get a 300blk for my house gun just can't find one now. I'm thinking about the lazer/handstop on it and a light, that all I'm going to do to it.
I'm not sure what laws the salesman is referring to but switching out the upper isn't illegal in any state that I'm aware of that hasn't banned AR's outright.

Salesman is wrong. Which goes along with a conversation we were having here a week or so ago about " Pros" at guns stores. They very often know very little.

If you had bought a rifle and then wanted to put a pistol upper on it, you would be breaking the law. Since yours started it's life as a pistol, you can put either on it and be fine. As far as I know there are no lower barrel length restrictions on pistols.

Back