testtest

The Anywhere Defense: Impact Weapon Tactics

You better be committed if you plan on using an impact weapon in defense of yourself so it's not taken and used against you. I've seen first hand on a few occasions of someone getting smashed with a bat, golf club, and other blunt instruments where the person getting hit didn't drop like they show in the movies and kept coming at the weapon wielder. Yeah the person that got hit was injured but with adrenaline or drugs running through ones system some people can still be a major threat and continue the fight.

Always defend yourself when necessary and use whatever reasonable means you need to in an unavoidable encounter but never walk into a bad situation because of ego.

I've trained for years and I earned an instructor rank in a Filipino fighting system I've also been in a fair share of street fights growing up and I still will not put myself in a bad situation if it can be avoided.

If you plan on getting formal self defense training do your homework and avoid the MC Dojos where they promise you death point striking or some magic juju chi power where you can affect someone with your thoughts.

Last edited:
"...Know what is around you, that could potentially be picked up and used as such a weapon if needed."

Exactly. Our dad taught us when were really young, that if they're bigger and/or badder, "You need to find ya an equalizer to use". He meant anything handy to arm yourself with.

Knees and legs are good places to start. Regardless of drugs/adrenaline/whatever...if there is no structure, they can't advance. I've had both a shattered femur (17 pieces), and a compound fracture tib-fib - without those support pieces, you ain't goin' anywhere, no matter what you're on! Same for a knee - if you can't control the hinge that supports your weight...you're either hopping (not very threatening, or efficient), or crawling.

Use YOUR adrenaline, and hit 'em HARD if you have to. Same as using a firearm - don't do it to "scare them off"; don't tap them to see if they give up. Do it to end the threat. Period.

I started using a cane right before I had both hips replaced because of arthritis. After that I took canefu classes and Irish stick fighting. Now this old man with his cold steel black thorn walking stick ain't quite as helpless as some think.

I was close to the free shipping limit on my last Midway order, so I threw in a Cold Steel Brooklyn Smasher unbreakable bat that was on sale just to have as a non-ballistic defense option. I have been grappling for over 20 years, and threw in a few years of Muay Thai during my brief and mediocre MMA career, but I have never had any impact weapon training in a martial arts setting. The Filipino stuff is great, but if you are already familiar with any form of grappling (wrestling, BJJ, Judo), Gene LeBelle published an excellent book in the 1990's called The Grappling Club Master. Longer weapons (bats, golf clubs, staffs, etc.) can be used to keep a potential attacker at a distance, but even short clubs can be used many ways to apply submissions or chokes once the attacker gets into personal range. I'm well above average in unarmed combat, and am proficient with firearms, but the entire area of impact weapons is one where I need improvement. I'm glad to see articles like this addressing the issue.

You better be committed if you plan on using an impact weapon in defense of yourself so it's not taken and used against you. I've seen first hand on a few occasions of someone getting smashed with a bat, golf club, and other blunt instruments where the person getting hit didn't drop like they show in the movies and kept coming at the weapon wielder. Yeah the person that got hit was injured but with adrenaline or drugs running through ones system some people can still be a major threat and continue the fight.

Always defend yourself when necessary and use whatever reasonable means you need to in an unavoidable encounter but never walk into a bad situation because of ego.

I've trained for years and I earned an instructor rank in a Filipino fighting system I've also been in a fair share of street fights growing up and I still will not put myself in a bad situation if it can be avoided.

If you plan on getting formal self defense training do your homework and avoid the MC Dojos where they promise you death point striking or some magic juju chi power where you can affect someone with your thoughts.
Committed and well practiced. It can be any weapon you can hold on to but you better know the right spots to hit someone with it and how to do that while blocking.

Knees and legs are good places to start. Regardless of drugs/adrenaline/whatever...if there is no structure, they can't advance. I've had both a shattered femur (17 pieces), and a compound fracture tib-fib - without those support pieces, you ain't goin' anywhere, no matter what you're on! Same for a knee - if you can't control the hinge that supports your weight...you're either hopping (not very threatening, or efficient), or crawling.

Use YOUR adrenaline, and hit 'em HARD if you have to. Same as using a firearm - don't do it to "scare them off"; don't tap them to see if they give up. Do it to end the threat. Period.

There is an extremely simple way to destroy a person's knee, without a weapon, even if you weigh 100 lbs soaking wet. And unless you're fighting a ninja it's nearly impossible to stop.

Lest we forget, both ends of some impact weapons make great thrusting weapons to certain parts of the body.

Back