testtest

9mm ammo

JChattin17

Operator
What is the opinion of this type of ammo...
“standard military FMJ (full metal jacket), it has a polymer coating to ensure smooth feeding and extraction“
I’m a new gun owner and I’m worried about feeding anything but brass casings through my XDS mod2. Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

“standard military FMJ (full metal jacket), it has a polymer coating to ensure smooth feeding and extraction“
I’m a new gun owner and I’m worried about feeding anything but brass casings through my XDS mod2. Any help will be deeply appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
There are numerous rounds that coat their cases and/bullets. The “debris” or whatever caused by them is less difficult to clean from your pistol than brass or copper fouling. There’s tons of YouTube videos on basic pistol cleaning. Go for it, clean your guns, you’ll be fine.
Just remember that those “Blast off” or Gun Scrubber sprays are for metal parts only. They will degrade the poly frames/grips.

My understanding is this should be fine for an XDs. Not recommended for an AR, but pistols should be fine. I just ordered myself 1k rounds of steel case as well (I have a gen. 1 XDs), so I can keep up on practicing at home. Note: a lot of ranges do not allow steel case on their lanes, because of sweep/recycle/reload processes. Check with your range before taking steel cases to the lane!!

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the world of great firearms. You will love this forum...so much information.

Which ammo are you talking about? The “Active Duty” M1152?

This is what I was looking at.
Great price per round now a days. Maybe that’s why?

Attachments

• EC5501FC-5512-4078-A594-E7932267F70B.png
    EC5501FC-5512-4078-A594-E7932267F70B.png
    255.4 KB · Views: 166
I have fired both brass case and steel case from my XD-S Mod.2 without any issue. Note. I do not fire the Russian made ammo because they use a lacquer to coat the steel cases.

They haven’t used lacquered steel in handgun loads for quite a long time, actually. The last one to switch was Brown Bear.

In fact, all Russki commercial loads are polymer, not laquer, the last time I checked. Surplus may vary.

They haven’t used lacquered steel in handgun loads for quite a long time, actually. The last one to switch was Brown Bear.

In fact, all Russki commercial loads are polymer, not laquer, the last time I checked. Surplus may vary.
The steel case rounds I was referring to were Monarch, which are made in Russia for Academy Sports. They're usually the cheapest on the shelf. I purchased several boxes from my local Academy store last year. They have a distinctive smell when fired.

Last edited:
The steel case rounds I was referring to were Monarch, which were made in Russia for Academy Sports. They're usually the cheapest on the shelf. I purchased several boxes from my local Academy sure last year. They have a distinctive smell when fired.

Are they green or grey, as far as case color?

Grey. I just replied to your earlier post. I stopped shooting them, because they gum up the chamber and get stuck after so many rounds.
These look to be grey also according to the picture. I’m going to stay away from them. I still have about 450 rounds. I’ll just have to pace myself till early November and hope this shortage disappears.

There are numerous rounds that coat their cases and/bullets. The “debris” or whatever caused by them is less difficult to clean from your pistol than brass or copper fouling. There’s tons of YouTube videos on basic pistol cleaning. Go for it, clean your guns, you’ll be fine.
Just remember that those “Blast off” or Gun Scrubber sprays are for metal parts only. They will degrade the poly frames/grips.
I’m only using the Lucas clp and Lucas oil to clean my gun

I've run a small amount of Blazer and Federal aluminum case ammo through my handguns without any issues, but just can't bring myself to run steel case in anything but my AK's and SKS. I've picked up a few boxes of Monarch and Wolf here and there when it was all that I could find, but these boxes are at the very back of my stash in case I run out of other options. I've heard good things about Barnaul steel case, but have never seen any 9mm on store shelves. I have heard that Barnaul is the actual manufacturer of the Monarch rounds at Academy, but have not been able to confirm this as true.

I'll report back once (hopefully?) my 1k shows up next week and I run some through the XDs...

I clean after every single session anyway, so I'd be surprised if I have any issues...but I'll let the board know either way.

I've run a small amount of Blazer and Federal aluminum case ammo through my handguns without any issues, but just can't bring myself to run steel case in anything but my AK's and SKS. I've picked up a few boxes of Monarch and Wolf here and there when it was all that I could find, but these boxes are at the very back of my stash in case I run out of other options. I've heard good things about Barnaul steel case, but have never seen any 9mm on store shelves. I have heard that Barnaul is the actual manufacturer of the Monarch rounds at Academy, but have not been able to confirm this as true.
You could try Winchester USA steel case as well. They cycle well for me, but leave more carbon than other brands.

Back