testtest

Why You Should Buy in Ammo in Bulk

I have bought in bulk on several occasions in the past, but these purchases were related to great sales. The shipping prices are what usually what keeps me from making bulk purchases. I'm much more open to doing it now, because availability is my primary concern, but in the past it never offered significant savings over Academy's prices.

I make a habit of rotating my carry ammo out every two years and replace it with new. Some in the industry say you can carry longer.

I'm sure you can. I have little reason to doubt it would not still be good after 10 years. That said, I will shoot 10 year old ammo. At the range.

I think 2 years is an acceptable rotation schedule for carry ammo, depending on the conditions you carry in.

Thanks, Bob.

I have a lot of HST in the calibers of my carry guns. I load my mags and store the rest. I do not rotate through my stock continually. When it's time to rotate I shoot the ammo in my mags then reload them from my stock. So I guess what I'm saying is if you only carry one extra magazine or if you don't even carry an extra magazine, leave the rest of your SD ammo in the box, in an ammo can or other suitable storage location.

When it comes to carry ammo...if you clear your weapon regularly, you want to be sure to replace the chambered round fairly often, for two reasons.

The first is bullet setback; multiple chamberings can cause the bullet to get pushed back into the case, leading to an excessive overpressure event. Some calibers are more susceptible than others (.357 Sig is one of the worst culprits), as well as ultralight bullets.

The second is primer deadening. The process of chambering a round is a pretty violent one, if you are doing it right—either dropping the slide lock release, or via the slingshot/power stroke method. It can cause your primer to go inert after a while...and that’s no dang good.

Personslly, my rounds get five chamberings before they get tossed in the range bag...when I have a magazine's worth, I run them.

When it comes to carry ammo...if you clear your weapon regularly, you want to be sure to replace the chambered round fairly often, for two reasons.

The first is bullet setback; multiple chamberings can cause the bullet to get pushed back into the case, leading to an excessive overpressure event. Some calibers are more susceptible than others (.357 Sig is one of the worst culprits), as well as ultralight bullets.

The second is primer deadening. The process of chambering a round is a pretty violent one, if you are doing it right—either dropping the slide lock release, or via the slingshot/power stroke method. It can cause your primer to go inert after a while...and that’s no dang good.

Personslly, my rounds get five chamberings before they get tossed in the range bag...when I have a magazine's worth, I run them.

Is there a way to physically check bullet setback?

When I rotate magazines in my carry guns I usually leave the chambered round. I used to occasionally unload the magazine and reload it backwards of the way it was, which would put the chambered round on the bottom. I decided that was too much loading and unloading magazines so now I just leave them loaded and swap mags.

I suppose I should take all my carry ammo and caliper it to see if I can find the rounds I chambered. Supposedly a 10" setback on .40 S&W doubles the pressure. :oops:

When I rotate magazines in my carry guns I usually leave the chambered round. I used to occasionally unload the magazine and reload it backwards of the way it was, which would put the chambered round on the bottom. I decided that was too much loading and unloading magazines so now I just leave them loaded and swap mags.

I suppose I should take all my carry ammo and caliper it to see if I can find the rounds I chambered. Supposedly a 10" setback on .40 S&W doubles the pressure. :oops:

Yeah, ten inches of setback would probably cause problems...;)

(that’s what she said)

Yeah, ten inches of setback would probably cause problems...;)

(that’s what she said)
1605403973864.gif

This is very true and has been proven. Good advice. Many times, I have talked with folks that carry loaded and will unload when they get home and load up, after putting that same round back on top of their mag, the next day. You’d be surprised after 6 or 7 times of chambering that same round how deep that bullet gets set back. You could almost set it beside a fresh, un-chambered round and see the difference.

This is very true and has been proven. Good advice. Many times, I have talked with folks that carry loaded and will unload when they get home and load up, after putting that same round back on top of their mag, the next day. You’d be surprised after 6 or 7 times of chambering that same round how deep that bullet gets set back. You could almost set it beside a fresh, un-chambered round and see the difference.
Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the heads up.

Ten year supply?

260,000 rounds of 9mm?
75,000 rounds of 12 gauge trap ammo
50,000 rounds of .22LR
10,000 rounds of .22WRM
1,000 rounds of .380
1,000 rounds of .25ACP
1,000 rounds of .44 magnum
1,000 rounds of .30 carbine
400 rounds of .270

I'm going to need more secure storage if I buy to these levels if, and when, prices go down again. I already have the .45ACP, 223, .308, and 30-06.

Back