testtest

Need to class this joint up.

Bassbob

Emissary
So I am enjoying a very nice 3 olive Beefeater Martini ( 5-1 with Dolin) and I just had a very relaxing and enjoyable shave.

Started with a hot towel to the face. Then lathered up with Haslingers Schafmilch made with my Saville Row silvertip badger. I used my flawless 1956 Gillette Red Tip Super Speed with a brand new Feather Hi Stainless blade. Finished off with some Thayers Super medicated witch hazel and topped that with Sterling Sharp Dressed Man AS splash.

Anyone else shave like their grandpa did or do you cretins all use crappy cartridge razors?

WoMCXas.jpg

Have to use a electric shaver here, had a basil cell carcinoma on side of jaw, so no blades here.

Electric shavers make my face break out.

I pretty much had a mustache and goatee from the time I was about 15 until about 4 years ago. When half my mustache was grey and the other half was still black it looked pretty stupid and I looked old. So I grabbed my Mach 3 or whatever it was and shaved it off. My face broke out and I got ingrown hairs and had horribly dry skin on my chin and upper lip. After suffering through it about a month it didn't get any better. A buddy of mine gave me a 1931 Gillette New and a synthetic boar hair brush along with a tub of shave soap and I never looked back. I have a straight too. It's very time consuming unless you want to cut the hell out of yourself so I only shave with that one every once in a blue moon. Modern shave soaps are much better for your skin than that canned crap too.

My face did break out at first, but I found this after shave cream called Everyman Jack, works great on face rash, bumps and ingrown hairs. I miss using a blade, but, can’t now.

Started off with blade cartridges as a young sprout, then switched over to electric after joining the Army. Cold shaving out of my "steel pot" got old real quick.

I decided several years back to have myself an "old school" shave, so I invested in a shaving set from Shaveology who specialize in the art of shaving. The kit includes a safety razor, silver tip badger hair shaving brush, and stand. I also added a Marvy shaving mug and filled it with Van Der Hagen shave soap. I still shave daily just like my Army days, and really enjoy a hot shave.

16054064148847278077817477431996.jpg

Started off with blade cartridges as a young sprout, then switched over to electric after joining the Army. Cold shaving out of my "steel pot" got old real quick.

I decided several years back to have myself an "old school" shave, so I invested in a shaving set from Shaveology who specialize in the art of shaving. The kit includes a safety razor, silver tip badger hair shaving brush, and stand. I also added a Marvy shaving mug and filled it with Van Der Hagen shave soap. I still shave daily just like my Army days, and really enjoy a hot shave.

View attachment 12002

Nice. I'm not sure how you avoided falling down the rabbit hole, but good on you. I probably have a couple grand in razors ( vintage and new), brushes and soap/AS sets. I have a lot of old Gillettes dating from the 20s up until 1968. Most of them have date codes on them that correlate to the year and which quarter of the year they were made. The newest Gillette I have is my birth year/quarter. It's a Black Handled Super Speed.

The last razor I bought is a modern 3 piece. It's a SS Timeless, .095 blade gap with the Pineapple handle. It cost me $250. I have brushes that cost me $250. :)

Nice. I'm not sure how you avoided falling down the rabbit hole, but good on you. I probably have a couple grand in razors ( vintage and new), brushes and soap/AS sets. I have a lot of old Gillettes dating from the 20s up until 1968. Most of them have date codes on them that correlate to the year and which quarter of the year they were made. The newest Gillette I have is my birth year/quarter. It's a Black Handled Super Speed.

The last razor I bought is a modern 3 piece. It's a SS Timeless, .095 blade gap with the Pineapple handle. It cost me $250. I have brushes that cost me $250. :)
Oh, yeah. It's like guns, you can drop some serious coin on this stuff. Nope, kept it simple and it's a really good set for the money.

Oh, yeah. It's like guns, you can drop some serious coin on this stuff. Nope, kept it simple and it's a really good set for the money.
Grew a beard and clean up the neck with disposable. Big city life, 2 kids, soccer and livestock , no time for pleasantries. When time permits occasionally, I use a nice razor and cream though.

With my budget it's disposable razors.

I'm not as high falutin as you guys.
Well as long as you don't get addicted to them like I did, they are far, FAR cheaper than disposable razors. You can buy a 1940s NDC ( no date code) Super Speed, which is a nice, smooth shaver, for about $15 all day long on eBay or anywhere else. The DE blades they take vary in price, but the expensive ones are about $30/100. The ones I use mostly are Feathers which cost about $15/100. I get about 5-6 shaves out of each blade and really they could go longer, but I like them new and sharp. So for about $30 you have a razor and enough blades to shave for at least 2 years. And it's a much, much nicer shave than any cart. How much do you spend on cartridge razors per year?

You can get a good synthetic brush for about $10. In fact my second favorite brush, even over many high dollar badgers, is a $10 synthetic. A puck of Haslingers ( my favorite soap) is $8 and will last about 50 shaves. How much do you spend on canned goo a year?

Harry's cartridge razors for me...Cremo creme.

I can appreciate the more involved process of shaving, but...I don’t want to put the time or effort into it, usually.

I do like to go get a straight razor shave every now and then, though...went for one before a friend's wedding as a groomsmen thing, rather liked it...

Harry's cartridge razors for me...Cremo creme.

I can appreciate the more involved process of shaving, but...I don’t want to put the time or effort into it, usually.

I do like to go get a straight razor shave every now and then, though...went for one before a friend's wedding as a groomsmen thing, rather liked it...

I have a straight. Learning to shave yourself with a straight is a whole other thing. It takes about 100 shaves to get comfortable doing it. Mostly because you have to shave half your face with your weak hand. And your straight REALLY needs to be shave ready. About every 25 shaves it needs to be honed and if you don't have the graduated stones and know what you're doing you gotta send it out. That's about $25.

By the way, I had almost 2 weeks growth and I have thick, course, fast growing facial hair. I did a nice, relaxing 2 pass shave and it took maybe 10 minutes.

When I had a mustache that went downward beyond my lower jaw, I shaved using a Tweezerman brush, Bay Rum Soap from Martinsville Soapworks and a Gillette Adjustable "Black Beauty" Long Handle Safety Razor (circa 1970) loaded with a Wilkinson double-edged blade.

When I shaved using the Gillette Black Beauty, I had a friend who used to shave 19th century style with a straight edge. Needless to say, he thought me a pawn of technology.

Since last year, I have a full (mostly gray) beard so no shaving necessary (a scissors does the trimming).

When I relax, it's an Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigar complimented by either a glass of Jose Cuervo Gold Tequilla or Bacardi Reserva Ocho Rum (8 years old), straight up.

Back