testtest

Need to class this joint up.

When I had a mustache that went downward beyond my lower jaw, I shaved using a Tweezerman brush, Bay Rum Soap from Martinsville Soapworks and a Gillette Adjustable "Black Beauty" Long Handle Safety Razor (circa 1970) loaded with a Wilkinson double-edged blade.

When I shaved using the Gillette Black Beauty, I had a friend who used to shave 19th century style with a straight edge. Needless to say, he thought me a pawn of technology.

Since last year, I have a full (mostly gray) beard so no shaving necessary (a scissors does the trimming).

When I relax, it's an Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigar complimented by either a glass of Jose Cuervo Gold Tequilla or Bacardi Reserva Ocho Rum (8 years old), straight up.

I had a '70 Black Beauty ( Super adjustable) short handle. I gave it to a friend who subsequently got addicted to DE shaving. I also have a flawless 1960 Fat Boy ( 195 adjustable) and a birth year ( N4- 4th quarter 1968) Slim adjustable.
I've probably given away 4 40s style super speeds. Some to guys I don't even know on musician forums.

I like Belgian Trappiste Ales, but when I'm slumming it's Guinness Extra Stout and the only liquor I care for is gin. Generally Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks, but Beefeater makes a nice martini.

I have a straight. Learning to shave yourself with a straight is a whole other thing. It takes about 100 shaves to get comfortable doing it. Mostly because you have to shave half your face with your weak hand. And your straight REALLY needs to be shave ready. About every 25 shaves it needs to be honed and if you don't have the graduated stones and know what you're doing you gotta send it out. That's about $25.

Do you send your straight edge to Obie Yadgar over in Glendale, Wisconsin? He's a retired clasical music DJ/writer that has a business (obieyadgar.com) honing straight edges. He does an excellent job.

So I am enjoying a very nice 3 olive Beefeater Martini ( 5-1 with Dolin) and I just had a very relaxing and enjoyable shave.

Started with a hot towel to the face. Then lathered up with Haslingers Schafmilch made with my Saville Row silvertip badger. I used my flawless 1956 Gillette Red Tip Super Speed with a brand new Feather Hi Stainless blade. Finished off with some Thayers Super medicated witch hazel and topped that with Sterling Sharp Dressed Man AS splash.

Anyone else shave like their grandpa did or do you cretins all use crappy cartridge razors?

WoMCXas.jpg

No.

I don’t shave my face.

No.

I don’t shave my face.

Well, when I used to browse the shave forums ( Yes there are wet shaving forums) there were several ladies who use DE safety razors. Presumably on their legs and underarms.

In fact Gillette and Schick both made DE razors for women. The Lady Schick and the Gillette Slim Twist. There was at least one other Gillette ladies razor but it's name escapes me. Maybe Star something. It was blue.

I guarantee a good shave soap is much better for your skin than soap or canned foam. And it's a much closer and more comfortable shave.

Yeah. That's the guy that sold me the straight in the first place.

Talk about a small world! Back in my pre-retirement days, I used to work in Milwaukee and listen to Obie on the now defunct classical music station, WFMR, everyday. Obie knows more about classical music than an encyclopedia. He wrote a book filled with composer/classical music trivia called "Obie's Opus". The book's got some great reading in it.

I notice from your profile you're in St. Louis. I used to travel there often on business for AT&T. How I miss Charlie Gitto's and their chicken alfredo! Is the Omni still in business?

Talk about a small world! Back in my pre-retirement days, I used to work in Milwaukee and listen to Obie on the now defunct classical music station, WFMR, everyday. Obie knows more about classical music than an encyclopedia. He wrote a book filled with composer/classical music trivia called "Obie's Opus". The book's got some great reading in it.

I notice from your profile you're in St. Louis. I used to travel there often on business for AT&T. How I miss Charlie Gitto's and their chicken alfredo! Is the Omni still in business?

Omni? You mean the hotel downtown? Yeah they're still there I think.

Yep, lots of great restaurants on The Hill. The yard ( where we park our trucks) I work out of is right on the corner of Manchester and Macklind at the entrance to The Hill. I eat up there all the time. Gianna's, Mama Campisi's, Smug's Gastro Pit, Zia's. Best food in the city if you ask me. Certainly the best Italian.

Obie is a super nice guy. He walked me through shaving myself with straights and set me up with an excellent, shave ready,German, C.F. Schwartz Wire Cutter for $40. Just like this one.

Hmm. In fact, here is my actual straight razor from an ad he had at shave nook. I am not the guy that PM'ed him in this link, but that guy didn't get the razor because I did. I recognize the half round marking on the front of the blade in the second picture.

Omni? You mean the hotel downtown? Yeah they're still there I think.

Yep, lots of great restaurants on The Hill. The yard ( where we park our trucks) I work out of is right on the corner of Manchester and Macklind at the entrance to The Hill. I eat up there all the time. Gianna's, Mama Campisi's, Smug's Gastro Pit, Zia's. Best food in the city if you ask me. Certainly the best Italian.

Obie is a super nice guy. He walked me through shaving myself with straights and set me up with an excellent, shave ready,German, C.F. Schwartz Wire Cutter for $40. Just like this one.

Yep, the Omni Hotel downtown. I never had to rent a car while there. AT&T was like a block away from the Omni. I spent most of my time walking to where I needed to go for eating and entertainment. The Hill was a bit out of my walking range, so I never made it there.

That's one nice straight-edge you have, wow! Almost makes me want to shave my beard off!

Yep, the Omni Hotel downtown. I never had to rent a car while there. AT&T was like a block away from the Omni. I spent most of my time walking to where I needed to go for eating and entertainment. The Hill was a bit out of my walking range, so I never made it there.

That's one nice straight-edge you have, wow! Almost makes me want to shave my beard off!

You are talking about that tall AT&T building that sits up on Jefferson & Chestnut? I put the current natural gas service in that building about 3 years ago. I also dug ( as in with a backhoe) over the top of the intercontinental, government fiber optic line that comes out of that building and runs down Jefferson and eventually under the Atlantic over to Europe. In some places that line is less than 2' under the pavement. When I was digging over it I had the FBI guys, several AT&T guys and about 15 of my bosses there watching me. I made a joke when I found it. I said something like " Hey, these people can do without cable for a few hours, I'm gonna rip this thing out of my way". They were not amused. Particularly the FBI guys.

By the way, I ran all the gas mains and gas services for Ballpark Village, the new soccer stadium ( right next to the FBI building at 22nd and Market) and the City Foundry. All of those were very high profile jobs. And when I say I ran those I mean me and the one other guy on my truck. So they were high profile and we were there awhile. The soccer stadium and especially Ballpark Village ( Busch Stadium) were very close to our corporate building downtown. Ballpark Village is literally right across the street. So I had all the big bosses looking out their 5th floor windows at me all day. For a couple months. That's the one thing good about being in the north city district. 95% of my work is in neighborhoods none of those bosses would ever venture into. Yeah I gotta wear body armor and I get shot at once in awhile, but you can't always get everything you want. :)

Braun electric, blades just don’t clean up the growth and will cause for me lots of ingrown hairs. During this at home adventure of 2020 I grew a full beard but I’m back to a goatee, a little more professional for interviews although with a mask on thats kind of a moot point.

Braun electric, blades just don’t clean up the growth and will cause for me lots of ingrown hairs. During this at home adventure of 2020 I grew a full beard but I’m back to a goatee, a little more professional for interviews although with a mask on thats kind of a moot point.
I had a Braun electric that I used in Desert Storm. I charged it off my gun 24v batteries.

So I am enjoying a very nice 3 olive Beefeater Martini ( 5-1 with Dolin) and I just had a very relaxing and enjoyable shave.

Started with a hot towel to the face. Then lathered up with Haslingers Schafmilch made with my Saville Row silvertip badger. I used my flawless 1956 Gillette Red Tip Super Speed with a brand new Feather Hi Stainless blade. Finished off with some Thayers Super medicated witch hazel and topped that with Sterling Sharp Dressed Man AS splash.

Anyone else shave like their grandpa did or do you cretins all use crappy cartridge razors?

WoMCXas.jpg
1605457615563.gif

Bob’s early shaving days.........😲

Back