testtest

Comments to the ATF Concerning Stabilizing Braces

wmg1299

Professional
I posted as soon as comments were open for the ATF's new "Objective Factors" proposal. Iraqveteran8888 recently published his comment as well. While I've never been a huge fan of his channel, I do watch his content from time to time. His comment is very well-written and supported by sound legal theory. I'm impressed enough by his comment that I may visit the channel more often in the future.

I highly encourage anyone on this forum who has not already commented to do so. I'm sure that none of the other commenters would mind at all if you paraphrased from their work. The absolute truth is that there is zero statistical evidence that firearms equipped with stabilizing braces are used to commit crimes. I also feel confident that if any of these items were used in any sort of criminal activity, they were most likely stolen and were not being used by a lawful purchaser.

Several of my years as a LEO in a major metropolitan area were after braced-pistols came to market, and I do not recall any reports of them being used in crimes. As a matter of fact, virtually no NFA or modified firearms ever were. Early in my career I did find several older methheads who had cut down the barrels of their shotguns, but even this isn't popular anymore with criminals. Sadly, millennial criminals are so inexperienced with tools that they don't even seem comfortable using a hacksaw for the simplest modification in the history of gunsmithing.

Very well written. But I think it was a waste of time. They will not read it or care about it. If the cared about what we think we wouldn't be commenting about it to them.

I know it can be very easy to feel that way, but comments have been very effective in the past. Obama attempted to have the ATF ban green tip 62 gr. 5.56 ammo, but backed off when 85,000 people commented. We have a 1st Amendment right to petition the government, and we should not let fear or hopelessness prevent us from exercising that right.

No. I feel as you do.
According to the ATF article I read the ATF stated your comment won’t matter unless you include all your personal information. My opinion they are just creating an easy data base of who to visit first.
I'm not concerned if they visit me as I have nothing to hide. Anything I may own is well within the current law and if those laws change I will dump the non-compliant item (brace) if I own one at that time to not need to register my pistols and I will sell the uppers. I do own other NFA items (with tax stamps) but I won't bend for recently added items such as pistol braces just so the Gov can track firearms they don't like.

I know it can be very easy to feel that way, but comments have been very effective in the past. Obama attempted to have the ATF ban green tip 62 gr. 5.56 ammo, but backed off when 85,000 people commented. We have a 1st Amendment right to petition the government, and we should not let fear or hopelessness prevent us from exercising that right.
I don’t believe a petition signed by 85,000 people was enough to sway the ATF away from doing anything. More than likely someone at the ATF actually did some research and realized green tips are not armor piercing and didn’t want to open up the giant can of worms.

I don’t believe a petition signed by 85,000 people was enough to sway the ATF away from doing anything. More than likely someone at the ATF actually did some research and realized green tips are not armor piercing and didn’t want to open up the giant can of worms.
Sometimes people need someone to tell them to look into something more so they don't pass judgement uncontested.

Back