testtest

Is It Time To Upgrade Your Press?

I'd love to. A nice progressive sounds great for volume loading banger rounds. How are they on precision? Do you get better quality rounds out of a single stage?

I never got into reloading. Ammo was always cheap and plentiful. I can remember a time when if a person had 100 rounds of ammo on hand others wondered why they had so much. If you needed more ammo just go to the store and pickup a box. It didn't matter what cal. it was you wanted , it was on the shelf.

Boy I sure wish those times were here again.

I never got into reloading. Ammo was always cheap and plentiful. I can remember a time when if a person had 100 rounds of ammo on hand others wondered why they had so much. If you needed more ammo just go to the store and pickup a box. It didn't matter what cal. it was you wanted , it was on the shelf.

Boy I sure wish those times were here again.
I love the news articles that go something like, "crazy gun dude was apprehended. A search of his basement turned up a cache of 200 rounds". hahahahahahaah.....I had 800 in my CAR the other day for a big family range day.....and I have never shot anything other than paper or steel. Just kidding, crazy-gun-dude apprehenders.

I've had a dillon 550 since '84 and had been loading 44mag, 264wm, 270win and isn't a precision for accuracy loader, but has been accurate enough for me. I never sort, weigh, except for powder. I bought another 3 or 4 years back just because I have a whole lot more calibers. The powder drops almost accurate charges. When I want to be more accurate I use it like a single stage.

Yes I also see no reason to upgrade from my Dillon 550b. I actually know a couple of gentleman who drag theirs around to matches and swear they are not any less accurate than single stage. I've never ever used a single stage I started out with a Dillon RL550b and I found no reason to move up I might get a bigger Dillon but that's just a want, it's not a need.
For mine I set my powder charge and its never wavered. I always stop and check throws about every 20th round and it is always the same. It's been that way since new.

I'd love to. A nice progressive sounds great for volume loading banger rounds. How are they on precision? Do you get better quality rounds out of a single stage?
I bought a Lee Loadmaster. I don't think it's as easy as a Dillon...they are rock solid. BUT, if you are willing to put in a little effort, you are all in for about 1/3 the price. I have done about 7K 9mm. Maybe one bad round/100. That's usually when I have done something wrong or not been alert to a loose screw (press or head). My all up rounds end up within 2 gr of each other and .005 COAL. I have a good batch of Blazer brass so my case weights are pretty close round to round. I have noticed there are two weight populations on the Blazer I have. Will be awhile before I can tell if they shoot more accurately.

Going back to somewhere in the 70's IIRC, I loaded for many years with a "Lee" 3 hole turret press .... sometimes as many thousands per yr for various comps for both the wife and me. Then just a few yrs ago I bought the newer 4 hole "Lee" Classic turret press. Only used it for a couple yrs before we moved and wasn't shooting nearly as much as the previous yrs anyway. It was considerably more user friendly than the old 3 hole version. It had mostly to do with the 'auto-indexing' of the two presses. The 4 hole press was far more reliable in the indexing. Both made absolutely satisfactory ammo in every caliber I loaded. Mostly .357 and 9mm for the handguns, .270Win, .243. and 30/06 for the long ones.

Now they're both packed up along with all the rest of my reloading equipment. I guess it's not a real big deal for now .... components are just about as hard to come by as factory ammo.

Going back to somewhere in the 70's IIRC, I loaded for many years with a "Lee" 3 hole turret press .... sometimes as many thousands per yr for various comps for both the wife and me. Then just a few yrs ago I bought the newer 4 hole "Lee" Classic turret press. Only used it for a couple yrs before we moved and wasn't shooting nearly as much as the previous yrs anyway. It was considerably more user friendly than the old 3 hole version. It had mostly to do with the 'auto-indexing' of the two presses. The 4 hole press was far more reliable in the indexing. Both made absolutely satisfactory ammo in every caliber I loaded. Mostly .357 and 9mm for the handguns, .270Win, .243. and 30/06 for the long ones.

Now they're both packed up along with all the rest of my reloading equipment. I guess it's not a real big deal for now .... components are just about as hard to come by as factory ammo.
Time to unpack it and put it up for sale. You could pay off your house. :LOL: :unsure:

Used Mequon Unitized Loaders for years, (the ones you needed a hammer for), then in 83 I went to a Lee Turret press. In 85 added a Lee Challenger 2000. State of the art-to infinity and beyond!

Back