testtest

What’s the Best Distance to Zero Your Rifle

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
I battle sighted my ar15 at 25, knowing it'll hit center mass from 0 to 300 yards. I zero my 30.06 hunting rifle at 100. My target rifle is zeroed at 200 with a MOA reticle so I can just do holdovers. My .45-70 guide gun is locked in at 50 with irons and handloads. It's all about what the rifle is used for.

For an 14.5" to 16" barrel AR, I am a firm believer in the 36-yard zero. This gives the tightest cluster of hits for all shots from 25 to 350 yards.
36yd zero, First time I've ever heard this range. My iron sighted H-bar I zeroed at 100yds. My scoped rifles are zeroed at differently. Remington heavy barrel varmit synthetic .223 is zeroed at 150yds as I'm pretty sure I'm not taking ground hog shots further than that. My Savage 110 .308 tactical I zeroed at 300 yds. I don't have much more room than that to practice on the farm without making a neighbor mad 😉

36yd zero, First time I've ever heard this range. My iron sighted H-bar I zeroed at 100yds. My scoped rifles are zeroed at differently. Remington heavy barrel varmit synthetic .223 is zeroed at 150yds as I'm pretty sure I'm not taking ground hog shots further than that. My Savage 110 .308 tactical I zeroed at 300 yds. I don't have much more room than that to practice on the farm without making a neighbor mad 😉
The 36yd zero intrigued me when I read about. Have had this pg bookmarked for quite awhile now. There are even zeroing targets to download and printout in the link.

The 36-yard zero is very common in military circles... Ask any Marine.

If shooting an M4 or Civilian AR out to 300 yards, no other zero will give you a tighter cluster of hits at every range in between.

Here is a nice test video of the 36-yard zero:

Another good review:

Great write-up from this very site:

Last edited:
I used the 50 yard zero back when I had one of the MSRs. If I had one today I would still use it. :)

I feel everyone should use the setup that best meets their needs.

Couple different zeros for comparison.
961f450b0a98565972e091880e7d6d12.jpg

e2feed56ea8613935d3e3e75427d0879.jpg

Back