testtest

The Story of John Browning’s Hi-Power

I had a chance to buy one of these Hi power things some many years ago at a very good price . Silly me passed and then went back the next day to get it but of course it was gone.

I don't know why but just never bought one . :(

Finally... an article of worth on this lowbrow site.... (just kidding).
The Hi Pwr is like listening to Brahms or Bach after a day at work, with ‘new country’ being played on one side of the office suite and some bobble-heads listening to rap on the other...oh never mind.

Seriously:
Here’s my two. The boxed is NIB, never fired (I think it’s a Mk II or something?). The traditional i got in 1993 and has 400-500 rds thru it.
If I could have one, and only ONE, handgun I’m 90% sure I’d go with an HP....

Attachments

• 4C60C082-F903-433F-B1B6-5F47093C6184.jpeg
    4C60C082-F903-433F-B1B6-5F47093C6184.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 304
Finally... an article of worth on this lowbrow site.... (just kidding).
The Hi Pwr is like listening to Brahms or Bach after a day at work, with ‘new country’ being played on one side of the office suite and some bobble-heads listening to rap on the other...oh never mind.

Seriously:
Here’s my two. The boxed is NIB, never fired (I think it’s a Mk II or something?). The traditional i got in 1993 and has 400-500 rds thru it.
If I could have one, and only ONE, handgun I’m 90% sure I’d go with an HP....
Nice, very nice HP’s thanks for posting pics, makes me want to find one more then ever now.

Nice, very nice HP’s thanks for posting pics, makes me want to find one more then ever now.
You won’t believe the ‘pointability’ of it if you do find one.
But then again, it was my first handgun (the lower one in the pic; wood grips) so I suppose I’m biased. But despite its lack of so-called features & options (eg, backstrap checkering, etc), it reminds me of my granddads old single barrel shotgun and how it comes up to the shoulder right in line with my line of sight - so smooth.... somehow, we don’t have that same ‘human element’ despite all the ergonomic science in modern designs....

Loved firing this sidearm. Never had a single issue, even in cold-wet wintertime.
I loved the many safety systems on it—issue for me to find something similar on modern pistols. Even though one of its drawbacks was the magazine disconnect feature, it was accurate, crisp, and balanced. I preferred the wooden handle; it felt better in the hand.
As for its limited capacity, well it didn’t bother me; like for any sidearm, I have learned to count the round fired (10 + 1 in chamber) and learn how to reload fast at round 10.
BTW: a 10-round clips is lighter and slimmer to carry in pockets/belts.
Many would swear by the 1911, I am for its more reliable and improved sibling, the GP, F.N.B. P35.

Last edited:
Loved firing this sidearm. Never had a single issue, even in cold-wet wintertime.
I loved the many safety systems on it. Even though one of its drawbacks was the magazine disconnect feature, it was accurate, crisp, and balanced. I preferred the wooden handle; it felt better in the hand.
As for its limited capacity, well it didn’t bother me; like for any sidearm, I have learned to count the round fired (10 + 1 in chamber) and learn how to reload fast at round 10.
Many would swear by the 1911, I am for its more reliable and improved sibling, the GP, P35.
Come to think of it, I cannot recall any issues ever with mine, either.... No jams, FTF, FTE... nothing.
I need to get the MkII out and try it.

Love my Hi Power. Actually they are quite slim and smaller frame, making a great CC pistol. Drawback on mine is only 10
Come to think of it, I cannot recall any issues ever with mine, either.... No jams, FTF, FTE... nothing.
I need to get the MkII out and try it.
Pricing is too prohibitive for a sidearm manufactured for so long. I preferred the military standard issued to the civilian variants, but it seems they were systematically destroyed at the end of their lifecycles.

I also love my Hi Power. But mine came with 2 mags that have springs on the baseplate that "pop" the empty mag out when the release is pressed. These claim to be original Browning mags.

Back