testtest

Show off your Every Day Carry!

XD-S 45 with Crimson Trace Laser Guard
This is my daily carry during all seasons. I use a Gunfighters Inc. Ronin Kydex holster.
There is also a Cold Steel Kobun knife, a 5 1/2 inch single edge pattern welded hunting knife, a Home Depot box cutter, a MiniMag light AA flashlight and a POM OC spray cannister that finishes off my "load out".
If the XD-E 45 ever comes back to my region, I'll probably switch to that because trigger is so much better and won't eat my finger(s).
I have been carrying this set up, with some minor changes, for three years (i.e. I finally ditched the spare magazine...just too much weight).

I feel quite well kitted out.
View attachment 15785
You carry 3 knives and mace and you think an extra magazine for your ultra compact pistol is too much weight?

Is this summer carry as well? What holsters do you use?
All seasons... even though it's covered by a shirt, most can tell that I am carrying and I'm fine with that.

This is the G34

Attachments

• IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
Ran out of pockets?
Well, I wear suspenders. The Kobun (right side) and mace (left side) go there. The addition of the pattern welded knife to the belt made the extra magazine ride too far aft. The magazine's position just made it too uncomfortable unless standing. That combined with becoming almost impossible to reach made it disappear.
Statistics show a magazine reload in a personal defense situation is very rare.
I like and often use my knives in daily life.
Besides, I was beginning to leave tracks like a Bigfoot!

Well, I wear suspenders. The Kobun (right side) and mace (left side) go there. The addition of the pattern welded knife to the belt made the extra magazine ride too far aft. The magazine's position just made it too uncomfortable unless standing. That combined with becoming almost impossible to reach made it disappear.
I like and often use my knives in daily life.
Besides, I was beginning to leave tracks like a Bigfoot!
👍 I don't carry an extra mag either.

You are probably right.

I will admit that I do often carry an extra mag for the purpose of mitigating a jam, crapped out or dislodged magazine and not because I believe I am likely to ever need more than 13 rounds. Stats are not necessarily a map of the world (anything can happen) but plenty of people would argue that statistics commonly suggest that 3 or perhaps 4 rounds- max. I dont mind having a little extra but I wouldnt be too critical of someone who opts to go without a reload.

On those occasions where I find myself carrying a 2oz can of OC in my pocket, I dont carry a extra mag. Its not all that often that carry OC and a gun (together) but I do understand your point regarding weight and space prioritization. I often carry a NAA mini revolver as a back up and have become rather accustomed to having fully loaded pockets. Sometimes, chapstick wont make the cut unless I delete my flashlight. That last part was a joke

Last edited:
You are probably right.

I will admit that I do often carry an extra mag for the purpose of mitigating a jam, crapped out or dislodged magazine and not because I believe I am likely to ever need more than 13 rounds. Stats are not necessarily a map of the world (anything can happen) but plenty of people would argue that statistics commonly suggest that 3 or perhaps 4 rounds- max. I dont mind having a little extra but I wouldnt be too critical of someone who opts to go without a reload.

On those occasions where I find myself carrying a 2oz can of OC in my pocket, I dont carry a extra mag. Its not all that often that carry OC and a gun (together) but I do understand your point regarding weight and space prioritization. I often carry a NAA mini revolver as a back up and have become rather accustomed to having fully loaded pockets. Sometimes, chapstick wont make the cut unless I delete my flashlight. That last part was a joke
I carry the OC spray as a (hopefully) non-lethal option as a response. That is assuming there is time to choose.
I'm not hunting creeps, but if threatened with violence, I will respond accordingly.

Statistics also show that the only way to not get cut all to hell in a knife fight is not to get in a knife fight. I would carry one less knife and substitute a spare magazine. Not because the likelihood of needing more ammo is high, but because magazines fail. Mag release buttons get accidentally hit dropping ALL your ammo to the ground, possibly while you are moving to cover.

The " Statistics show" logic is flawed from the get go though since statistics show you are extremely unlikely to be put in a situation where you need a gun in the first place. I work in the most violent section of the most violent city in the country and have for 9 years. 6 days a week in a different $hitty neighborhood every day. I have yet to pull out my pistol in defense of myself. I think if you are carrying a gun because of the miniscule chance you will need one to save your life it isn't a stretch to think there is an equally miniscule chance you will have a mag or ammo failure.

Just my opinion.

As I stated previously, I do often carry a reload for the purpose of mitigating jams, crapped out or dislodged magazines. Sure, mags do fail and anyone who has ever carried out tasks in a physically demanding arena (while armed), has probably had the occasion to see or have a mag fly across the pavement due to incidental/unintended release.

That said, statistics are substantially utilized in many endeavors all across the globe which relate to issues far more important and critical than anything we are discussing in this thread. Whether is National Security, Intelligence , Medical Research, Criminal Profiling, Risk Assessing, Threat Analysis, Space Exploration or anything else which involves strategic planning.. statistics are often a critical element. Properly compiled stats are commonly accepted as a very good indicator of what can be expected to happen in similar circumstances in the future ( at least from a planning and mitigation stand point).
The " Statistics show" logic is flawed from the get go though since statistics show you are extremely unlikely to be put in a situation where you need a gun in the first place. I work in the most violent section of the most violent city in the country and have for 9 years. 6 days a week in a different $hitty neighborhood every day. I have yet to pull out my pistol in defense of myself. I think if you are carrying a gun because of the miniscule chance you will need one to save your life it isn't a stretch to think there is an equally miniscule chance you will have a mag or ammo failure.

I disagree with this.. we all have a good idea of how many violent crimes occur in the US ( its staggering) and we all know what the general population numbers look like. Bad people do incredibly bad things to good people each and every day.. its just how it is. If the suggestion is that the % likelihood of being subjected to a life threatening criminal attack is in some way similarly equivalent to the % likelihood suffering a magazine failure or needing a reload during a self defense action- I would label that quite a stretch. Considering that I have never even heard of any sort of data on magazine failure being tracked by anyone, I am not sure where this seemingly implied idea comes from. I wont say that its wrong but I am certainly skeptical without some evidence. What is readily available is the number of shots fired in thousands of self defense actions. I think many can agree that changing a mag due to the need of additional ammo, is exceedingly unlikely. Changing or replacing a mag for any other reason (such as failure) would probably be even more unlikely, at least in my gut based cursory estimation. I wont address tac-reload, admin-reload or whatever but will simply leave it out for the purposes of this discussion.

I do not think it is as easy as simply eluding to the fact that because 2 things are unlikely that they equally unlikely. At least not without some level of qualification.

So.. my point is that I believe it is easily intellectually honest to feel that a person may need to carry a gun for lawful self defense but NOT have a need of carrying a reload. Could a reload be necessary for a variety of reasons? sure. Do I feel that I will ever need a reload? NO. Do I carry a reload? Yes, more often than not. Why?? Because regardless of the likelihood that I will need a reload, I consider it cheap insurance toward preserving LIFE. That consideration is purely personal and not qualified by mathematical or scientific computation.

If a person wants to carry a reload ... great. I wont criticize because I consider it to be an abundance of caution issue.

If a person intends to carry a gun but sans a reload.. great. I wont criticize because I believe it tracks with known and near universally accepted data.

Last edited:
As I stated previously, I do often carry a reload for the purpose of mitigating jams, crapped out or dislodged magazines. Sure, mags do fail and anyone who has ever carried out tasks in a physically demanding arena (while armed), has probably had the occasion to see or have a mag fly across the pavement due to incidental/unintended release.

That said, statistics are substantially utilized in many endeavors all across the globe which relate to issues far more important and critical than anything we are discussing in this thread. Whether is National Security, Intelligence , Medical Research, Criminal Profiling, Risk Assessing, Threat Analysis, Space Exploration or anything else which involves strategic planning.. statistics are often a critical element. Properly compiled stats are commonly accepted as a very good indicator of what can be expected to happen in similar circumstances in the future ( at least from a planning and mitigation stand point).

I disagree with this.. we all have a good idea of how many violent crimes occur in the US ( its staggering) and we all know what the general population numbers look like. Bad people do incredibly bad things to good people each and every day.. its just how it is. If the suggestion is that the % likelihood of being subjected to a life threatening criminal attack is in some way similarly equivalent to how many people have suffered a magazine failure during a self defense action- is quite a stretch in my estimation. Considering that I have never even heard of any sort of data on magazine failure being tracked by anyone, I am not sure where this seemingly implied idea comes from. I wont say that is wrong but I am certainly skeptical without some evidence. What is readily available is the number of shots fired in thousands of self defense actions. I think we all can agree that changing a mag due to the need of additional ammo, is exceedingly unlikely.

I do not think it is as easy as simply eluding to the fact that because 2 things are unlikely that they equally unlikely. At least not without some level of qualification. I

So.. my point is that I believe it is easily intellectually honest to feel that a person may need to carry a gun for lawful self defense but NOT have a need of carrying a reload. Could a reload be necessary for a variety of reasons? sure. Do I feel that I will ever need a reload? NO. Do I carry a reload? Yes, more often than not. Why?? Because regardless of the likelihood that I will need a reload, I consider it cheap insurance toward preserving LIFE. That consideration is purely personal and not qualified by mathematical or scientific computation.

If a person wants to carry a reload ... great. I wont criticize because I consider it to be an abundance of caution issue.

If a person intends to carry a gun but sans a reload.. great. I wont criticize because I believe it tracks with known and near universally accepted data.
I never intimated that the odds were the same. I correctly stated that the odds of either were extremely low. And it really doesn't matter for the point I was making. Although if you are arguing that the odds of you being forced to use a gun defensively are greater than the odds of a magazine failure you are wrong.

If someone wants to carry 2 knives and no extra magazine that's their business. I carry a knife. One. That I use as the tool it is. If I am in a situation where I would need to use the knife defensively, why wouldn't I just use my gun?

I have several handguns, and but the majority of the time, my XDs .45 is my EDC. I carry it several different ways, depending on the time of year, or how I am dressed. I have a shoulder holster, OWB holster, belly band holster, IWB holster, and a fanny pack holster for it. All those holsters have the ability or the extra accessories to carry two extra magazines. And that's what I do, carry two extra. What is the likelihood of needing a reload? What is the likelihood of being struck by lightening? For real, I have been struck twice by lightening in my life. So I carry extra ammo with me.

if you are arguing that the odds of you being forced to use a gun defensively are greater than the odds of a magazine failure you are wrong.

I am certainly open to this, I have been wrong about all kinds of things. If you care to lay out your proof or at least qualify your assertion, I will thoughtfully consider it. Until then, I dont buy it.

I have several handguns, and but the majority of the time, my XDs .45 is my EDC. I carry it several different ways, depending on the time of year, or how I am dressed. I have a shoulder holster, OWB holster, belly band holster, IWB holster, and a fanny pack holster for it. All those holsters have the ability or the extra accessories to carry two extra magazines. And that's what I do, carry two extra. What is the likelihood of needing a reload? What is the likelihood of being struck by lightening? For real, I have been struck twice by lightening in my life. So I carry extra ammo with me.
Nothing wrong with that at all.

If I am in a situation where I would need to use the knife defensively, why wouldn't I just use my gun?

Maybe you cant.. maybe someone is trying to take it. Maybe you are grappled with someone and you lost your firearm, it is out of battery or otherwise disabled but you are still actively in peril. Maybe you physically cannot get to your holstered firearm while fighting and in peril but you CAN get to your knife. This is why so many people carry their knife opposite their firearm and not on the same side. Its not an uncommon concept.

Last edited:
I am certainly open to this, I have been wrong about all kinds of things. If you care to lay out your proof or at least qualify your assertion, I will thoughtfully consider it. Until then, I dont buy it.
So you've never had a failure to feed due to a magazine? You have never had a crap magazine or a magazine that failed? Have you ever used a gun to protect yourself?

According to the bureau of justice statistics you have a 1.2% chance of being robbed ( by far the most common violent crime). So to believe the odds were greater than the odds of a magazine failure you would have to believe that 98.9% of all magazines in circulation function properly. Which is of course ridiculous.

Maybe you cant.. maybe someone is trying to take it. Maybe you are grappled with someone and you lost your firearm, it is out of battery or otherwise disabled but you are still actively in peril. Maybe you physically cannot get to your holstered firearm while fighting and in peril but you CAN get to your knife. This is why so many people carry their knife opposite their firearm and not on the same side. Its not an uncommon concept.

I think you're just being adversarial of the sake of being adversarial. Making the case that a spare knife is more useful for self defense than a spare magazine is a tough sell. And you seemingly use the likelihood of the other conversation we are having, regarding mechanical failure, to support the position that a second knife on your person is likely to be more useful.

So you've never had a failure to feed due to a magazine? You have never had a crap magazine or a magazine that failed? Have you ever used a gun to protect yourself?

According to the bureau of justice statistics you have a 1.2% chance of being robbed ( by far the most common violent crime).

I take this to mean you have no proof or data to offer in regards to qualifying your assertion.

So to believe the odds were greater than the odds of a magazine failure you would have to believe that 98.9% of all magazines in circulation function properly.

That is not what I think that means at all.

Last edited:
Statistics also show that the only way to not get cut all to hell in a knife fight is not to get in a knife fight. I would carry one less knife and substitute a spare magazine. Not because the likelihood of needing more ammo is high, but because magazines fail. Mag release buttons get accidentally hit dropping ALL your ammo to the ground, possibly while you are moving to cover.

Just my opinion.
I carry knives because I like to use them in my everyday life. Granted, the Kobun is a fighting knife; however, it is not my primary weapon. It is my "last ditch" tool.
My order of selection is as follows:
1. Avoidance of trouble. I am a big fan of Col. Cooper's color coded threat assessment.
2. OC spray
3. firearm
4. running away
4. knife...when I absolutely don't have any other choices

I believe using mathematical statistics to better understand my environment is natural. I know the chances for being struck by lightning are remote but I avoid waving a carbon fiber fishing rod while standing in an aluminum boat while floating in a lake, during a thunderstorm.
Similarly, I avoid driving through downtown Seattle on Fridays and weekends.

Last edited:
I think you're just being adversarial of the sake of being adversarial. Making the case that a spare knife is more useful for self defense than a spare magazine is a tough sell. And you seemingly use the likelihood of the other conversation we are having, regarding mechanical failure, to support the position that a second knife on your person is likely to be more useful.
I simply disagreed with some elements of what you stated. This is of course assuming that I understood your point, I may not have. Nevertheless, my idea of adversarial would incorporate some level of hostility; which is not the case. I simply and politely disagree with a few things. I will not proclaim to be right about anything I say here but I will say that I what I tell you of my opinion, is honest. My opinion is subject to change when reasonable evidence overcomes what I previous considered to be logical or probable. I will always be open to a change in opinion (they do change from time to time) but that will certainly require compelling evidence/data.

best regards

Back