testtest

Is it worthwhile to reload shotgun

Gymschwarze

Alpha
Founding Member
Hey everyone,
I spend alot of time down at the Sporting Clays course and spend a lot of money on shells. (Not complaining I love the sport) I shoot around 3k to 5k shells a year and am starting to wonder if it would be worth it to reload. I remember a while ago doing the math and with prices as cheap as $54.00 a case (250). I didn't think it was worth it at the time. Between investment in equipment, supplies, and time.
So I would like to ask any of you out there who reload shotgun. How cheap can you really make it? And is it worth the investment in time and equipment?

Last edited:
You can get in with a MEC 600 Jr. setup (all manual) and see what works for you.

Have you saved you emptys?

With all the various component costs & what load you want to crank out overall reloading costs can vary.

Although I save a boatload on some I reload others I'm working on the cheap.
Not having loaded shotgun I would guess that at about 21 cents a round.... not much savings.
I can buy 9mm at 17 cents a round and load for 12 cents.....
But 357SIG at 60 cents and reload at the same 12 cents is a savings.

Now look beyond the cost factor. You can be sure each load is the same which you can't out of a box. This insures that you get consistency with each shot fired.
You can play around and make adjustments to the loading and may find that you like shooting something
you have developed, or copied from someone else, a lot better than what you get out of the box.

So I'd give it a whirl. But then I love reloading for the quiet time!

This post doesn't answer your question but it's about reloading shotgun shells.

Have you seen Taofledermaus on YouTube? They load all kinds of the craziest custom shotgun shells and shoot them at targets. Excellent channel and definitely worth a watch.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm thinking I might give it a go. Any recommendations on a press. I have a dillon for my rifle and pistol. Which is a great machine. But I'd rather not spend that much on another one for shotgun. Any other you like?

Last edited:
Single stage Rock Chucker by RCBS or a Turret press by Lyman..... I prefer the turret so I can leave the dies set up.

Although I save a boatload on some I reload others I'm working on the cheap.
Not having loaded shotgun I would guess that at about 21 cents a round.... not much savings.
I can buy 9mm at 17 cents a round and load for 12 cents.....
But 357SIG at 60 cents and reload at the same 12 cents is a savings.

Now look beyond the cost factor. You can be sure each load is the same which you can't out of a box. This insures that you get consistency with each shot fired.
You can play around and make adjustments to the loading and may find that you like shooting something
you have developed, or copied from someone else, a lot better than what you get out of the box.

So I'd give it a whirl. But then I love reloading for the quiet time!
Bullets are 12-15 cents, primers .03, powder .05 at most and that would be 20-23 cents for a sig! Back too a question I first asked you, "Where do you get your supplies?" and you told me that it was that you shoot 5x as much so you don't save! You know I'm giving you a hard time, RIGHT!

Bullets are 12-15 cents, primers .03, powder .05 at most and that would be 20-23 cents for a sig! Back too a question I first asked you, "Where do you get your supplies?" and you told me that it was that you shoot 5x as much so you don't save! You know I'm giving you a hard time, RIGHT!
Depending on powder, it can be as low as .03 per round. Bullets are 8 to 9 from RMR. Factory run 60 to 80 cents a round, not buying junk stuff. Have seen some over a dollar. So yeah, saving money or shooting more. Besides the round is soooooo much fun to reload cause it's a challenge to get it right. I like it that way. Many may not like that and I don't fault them for it.

Depending on powder, it can be as low as .03 per round. Bullets are 8 to 9 from RMR. Factory run 60 to 80 cents a round, not buying junk stuff. Have seen some over a dollar. So yeah, saving money or shooting more. Besides the round is soooooo much fun to reload cause it's a challenge to get it right. I like it that way. Many may not like that and I don't fault them for it.
We need a copper enclosed shot sabot!

Hey everyone,
I spend alot of time down at the Sporting Clays course and spend a lot of money on shells. (Not complaining I love the sport) I shoot around 3k to 5k shells a year and am starting to wonder if it would be worth it to reload. I remember a while ago doing the math and with prices as cheap as $54.00 a case (250). I didn't think it was worth it at the time. Between investment in equipment, supplies, and time.
So I would like to ask any of you out there who reload shotgun. How cheap can you really make it? And is it worth the investment in time and equipment?

I just joined the Forum so my response is a bit late. If you are averaging in the 40's with what you are buying on sale at $50.00/case you probably won't benefit from reloading. However, if you want to improve scores by shooting a "better" shotshell, reloading may be your solution. Most of the guys/gals I shoot with are serious about breaking clays, their guns and choke combinations as well as shot size selection per station reflect that. Hard shot gives better pattern density, you won't find that in bargain shotshells. Generally the economy loads use a 2 piece hull that might be ok for 1 or 2 reloads, you are or should be using faster loads 1250 - 1300 fps in SClays. Reloading can give you a better performing shotshell after some study of the various loading manuals and use of "better" components. Also 12 and 20 ga. are where you will find lower cost ammo, if you shoot 28 ga or 410 you will definitely save money reloading. Most good golfers I know will swear by the Titelist ProV1 versus bargain golf balls. Quality shotgun shells should improve SC , trap and skeet scores as well.( I quit golf years ago) and reload and shoot pistol/revolver, rifle and three shotgun guages and have a lot more fun.

Back